twinkle twinkle little nightstand (a makeover)

Happy Wednesday!

I have a little some old and a little something new (and a little something twinkly) for you.

The little something old:
A wooden box that I found at an estate sale for $3.
Apparently, the seller’s late uncle traveled with the circus
and kept his Lionel trains in these wooden boxes with foam padding inside.
freckled laundry nightstand makeover

The little something new:

DecoArt just unveiled a new line of multi-surface satin paints
and asked me if I’d like to try them.

I’ve been a DecoArt groupie since way back in the faux zinc tutorial days,
so I was happy to try the new line.

And, as expected, I love it.

It goes on just about any surface you can imagine,
including fabric (and it’s washable).

I used Black Tie, Night Sky, and Cottonball…
freckled laundry decoart american multi-surface satin paint for twinkle nightstand

…to makeover my little wooden box into a twinkly nightstand for Edyn’s room.
freckled laundry twinkle nightstand makeover

I think it turned out so sweet!

You could do this to a wooden box of your own, or a vintage suitcase,
a table drawer, a crate turned upside down, etc.

Supplies:
DecoArt Multi-Surface Satin Paint in Cottonball, Night Sky, Black Tie
Brushes
Drill
White LED light strand
9/64-inch drill bit (or whatever will fit the diameter of your LED bulb)
Electrical tape or a hot glue gun

The first thing I did was clean and sand the box.
It had clearly been used for something other than train transportation at some point!

Then, I painted the whole thing in Cottonball white.

I mixed about a 50:50 ratio of Black Tie and Night Sky to get a deep, black blue, night sky shade,
and then I painted a rectangle on the front of the box.
(You could use painter’s tape for a perfect rectangle, but I wanted mine to look painterly.)

It took two coats to completely cover the white.
I used my sanding sponge to distress it a bit when I was done!

Next, I drilled scattered holes within the blue rectangle.

Note: I would do this right after you paint your blue outline.
I did it after I completely painted it and as you can see, I had some touchup work to do from the drill bit!

Here’s a closeup of the buttery, satin finish in the light.

I’m loving this new paint line! You’ll see more of it soon.

Using a tiny paint brush and the Cottonball white, I painted white stars and tiny dots.

On the lid, I used the same Night Sky & Black Tie mixture to paint
“fais de beau rêves”,
which means sweet dreams (“make beautiful dreams”) in French.

I mixed the paint with just a teeny bit of silver gilding wax that I had on hand
to create a shimmery dark blue.
I was so happy that it worked!
This is the only paint (that I’ve tried) that doesn’t cancel out the metallics in the gilding paste and turn it dull.

{love}

(You can bet I’ve gilded another piece with colored gilding wax since!)

FYI…DecoArt just launched a bunch of new stencils too,
including several different alphabet styles if you don’t fancy your own handwriting.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I also painted a little moon…mostly because my lettering was off-centered, darn it!

After everything was painted, it was time for the twinkly LED lights.
LED lights emit a whiter (versus amber light) and most importantly, they are cool to the touch.
I got this LED light strand at Michael’s.
I recommend the PLUG-IN lights.
You don’t want to be replacing batteries every week!

I inserted each bulb into the holes from inside the box and secured the wires (the insulated wires)
down with a low temp hot glue gun.

You could use electric tape to hold the wires down, but it wasn’t sticking to the wood.
You just want to make sure that your glue isn’t hot enough to damage the insulated protection around the wires.

(I didn’t even bother painting the inside. I know. 1/2-inch foam padding had been hot glued
and quite frankly, I didn’t want to sit there and scrape and sand all day…and I was just going to glue wires to it!)

I drilled a large hole through the back for the plug to fit through, plugged it in,
and watched it twinkle (along with Edyn’s eyes)!

freckled laundry twinkle fairy sparkle light nightstand child before after
To celebrate the launch of the Multi-Surface Paint line,
which just hit aisles this week,
DecoArt is offering a rebate.
(I checked Michael’s while I was there yesterday and the bottles retail for $1.39.)
satin_rebate10

American Multi-Surface Satins are available for purchase at Michaels, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby,
and other fine craft retailers.

Have a happy rest of the week!
What have you been working on?
Jami

This is a DecoArt sponsored post.
All thoughts and opinions are honest and my very own.
It’s no secret that I love their quality paints!

Linking with Miss Mustard Seed’s fabulous Furniture Feature Friday party!

Comments

1. Toni says:

I love this- might be one of my favorite creations of yours!!!!!

2. Sherrill says:

Genius! If I were a little one, I would love to have this in my room . . . hmmmm . . . . :)
    Sherrill recently posted..Happy Mother’s Day! :)My Profile

3. I bet she loves it! I have 5 kiddos who would go rounds on who would get it in their room. :o)
    Great job.
    Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
    Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces recently posted..Providential Espresso & Buttery YellowMy Profile

4. so cute! who wouldn’t love a little twinkle!
    Jessica @ Dear Emmeline recently posted..The Completed Dollhouse BacpackMy Profile

5. keya says:

this is so adorable! love, love, love it!
    keya recently posted..my morning viewMy Profile

6. Jami this is just so beautiful! When the room is dark I bet it just looks so magical! Also, thanks for reminding me of your faux zinc finish tutorial, I need to brush up on that technique (lol, brush up….!) Anyhoots, lovely work and painting on that piece!!

• Jami says:

haha! I’ll be redoing that zinc tutorial soon. Apparently Blip, the Youtube-like site that I used to upload my videos reverted to putting 30 seconds ads at the start of every video! There is no opt-out either. 13 videos x 30 sec. ads for each = not good. That was a few years ago & heaven knows where the original videos are, so I have to reshoot. That’s okay though because I made the original tutorial look more intimidating than it actually is with all those vids! Thanks for the sweet words about the nightstand. It is quite magical at night. I tried to get some Bokeh effect shots in the dark, but I either I don’t work or my camera doesn’t. xo

7. Annie Hayes says:

How stinkin’ cute is that!! Great idea to put the lights inside!!

8. Caryl says:

I have been quietly reading your blog for over a year and loving every post. I just can’t be quiet anymore…I love, love and love this project. I don’t even have a little girl and I am certainly not handy with a drill but I feel compelled to make this right now. Any thoughts on how to make it boy friendly? Or would you just do as is? Again, it is a beautiful piece and your how-to is so clear, as always. x

• Jami says:

Aw! Thank you bunches, Caryl! I think as is (minus the french words, which are a bit feminine) would also work for a boy. But, if I were to make one for a boy (and I will probably make one for Grey), I would paint the box a warm gray instead of white. I would paint something like “Goodnight. Sleep tight. Don’t let the bed bugs bite.” or his monogram on the top. I think using painter’s tape to paint chunky tone on tone gray stripes on the box would be cute with the dark, night sky front too. If you make one, please send me a picture if you can. I’d love to see it!

9. Rose L says:

Today a nightstand, tomorrow a toy box. That’s just the way it is with growing kids. Do yourself a favor right now and put a lid hinge on that piece to prevent that lid from slamming down on little heads or little fingers or. god forbid, closing someone up inside of it! Trust me, mom who raised kids for 29 years! Otherwise your project is adorable and I am loving all the new products that keep showing up to make our DIY lives easier and more fun. Thanks for posting!

• Jami says:

Thank you, Rose! I appreciate you looking out for the little ones’ safety! I actually hot glued the lid (a couple of small beads on each inside corner) just to keep them from possibly opening it up and pulling on the little wires and bulbs…because I learned from my 10 year-old that where there’s will, there’s a way…and “hmmm. How does this thing work?”! haha If the strand blows for some reason, I want to be able to get into myself to change it out, which is why I didn’t go with something more permanent like super glue, but I’m pretty sure it will keep them out. I remember my cousins shutting me inside a toy box that my father built once AND my sis slamming the lid down on my hands. Not fun! Have a happy weekend!

10. So pretty! I love the colours you chose too.
    Elizabeth@ Blue Clear Sky recently posted..Vintage Produce Crate Upcycle To Laundry HamperMy Profile

11. Jess says:

This is really awesome! I love it!! :D
    Jess recently posted..Recipe for a Quick Beach Getaway.My Profile

12. Joan says:

Hello,
    What a beautiful idea! Anything with twinkle lights captures my attention. Wonderful blog and beautiful photos – thank you for sharing all you do!
    Sincerely,
    Joan

13. Thank you for sharing that darling night stand. I love to refinish too. Come visit!
    hugs
    cindy@stitches

14. Patti says:

So very cute! A perfect nightlight for a little one, with storage and display space, too! You hit all the marks.
    We’d love to have you share with us at WIW.
    Hugs,
    Patti
    Patti recently posted..Salt of the EarthMy Profile

15. James says:

That is a very nice transformation and something to be proud of. Although I supply a new range of furniture, your post shows that buying new is not the best thing to do.

Such a good job it looks very pretty.

Regards
    James Kilner

16. OMG what a transformation, what you have done with this box is very pretty. Now make me one please :)

17. Wow! I have to say that I’m very impressed with this project {well I love everything you do, actually}! I really enjoy getting your post notifications in my mailbox, so although I haven’t been on blogger much, I still can see what my favorite bloggers are up to. :)

Hope you’ve been well my friend!

XOXO’s,
    Jessie
    Jessie @A Cozy Cottage in the City recently posted..A Shabby Chic Affair Part IIMy Profile

18. CeeCee says:

How creative! Love it!

19. This is a very pretty transformation you have made. It would be a nice gift to give somebody.