hello, thank you, kitchen

I’ve been thinking of the right words to write all day.

What exactly does one write after they’ve been away from the blog for a couple of months?

“Hi” and “thank you” immediately came to mind.

So…hi.

And…thank you so so so so so much if you stuck around and waited patiently for me to write again.
Thank you for the sweet emails to check in on me from time to time.
Thank you for understanding that a broken laptop just might have been a little blessing in disguise.

While I would’ve rather been in St. Tropez, sinking my toes in the sand,
I had some extended time, that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise taken, to refresh and refocus.

Anyhow, I’m happy to be back in the saddle!

I’ve actually had one foot in a stirrup over on my facebook & twitter pages with my iPhone,
so I hope some of you were able to catch an update there.

I’ve been a busy little bee over here this month, working on my hive (a.k.a. kitchen),
minus that day or two straight when I didn’t move off the sofa for seasons 1 & 2 of Downton Abbey.
I had to get caught up for season 3 that everyone was all a buzz over.
(Another bee pun.)

I have a bunch of projects to share.
I think this is the first time I’ve actually gotten slightly ahead on projects to write about.
{sigh of happiness!}

Here’s a peek at a few..

I repainted the graphite wall in the kitchen a light warm gray color (think grain sack or grayish oatmeal linen)
and used a stamp set to create a vintage floral pattern in graphite gray.

I loved the solid graphite on that wall, but…

a. It was a bit too heavy for my small-ish kitchen with one window.
b. I thought the solid graphite would look better in the connecting family room with a cathedral ceiling and a lot of light.
(Although it’s the technical term, I’ll never get used to calling it a “cathedral ceiling” when I’m talking about a 1964 ranch!)
c. The lighter wall just works better with my lower teal cabinets and white everything else.

Oh, and the little hallway nook wall (below) that I stenciled in this post, has been painted graphite
and I plan to stamp white roses over it.

Here is the single rose up close.
I gently sanded each with a fine sanding sponge a bit to make them look faded,
but I think I’m going to go at them a little more around the edges.
They still seem a little too heavy to me.
What do you think?

Here’s a full bunch.
I didn’t put enough paint on the stamp for the lower rose bloom, but I kind of like that it’s imperfect and barely there.

The wall is one of the those projects that I loved immediately, but after a couple of days, I’m not so sure.
Not touching it until I give it more thought.
I’m usually a little pattern-shy (esp. on an ENTIRE WALL), so the side-effects could be mild and transient.

In other news, remember my teal lower cabinets?
The cabinets that were originally ordered with a creamy ivory “Eggshell” color…
and painted Pure White with Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint…
and repainted a brighter white with General Finishes Milk Paint…
and then painted teal with Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint…
that my husband didn’t like and so I then painted navy…
that I didn’t like and repainted teal?

Yeah, those ones.

Well, just knowing that there were layers of paint on those cabinets bugged me to no end.
They looked nice but I wanted my cabinets painted the right way…like a professional would do it.

After all, I had a little extra time on my hands.

That meant completely stripping them down to the bare maple and repainting them…ONCE.
Oh, what a difference!

(I came SO close to just clear-coating that beautiful, bare maple!!!)

I repainted the cabinets teal, but a more timeless, softer on the eyes, slightly grayer teal…that my husband now loves too.

While I’m on the subject of cabinets, I added vintage candy bin pulls to the two drawers…

Now, I 100% love THOSE and they aren’t going anywhere.
The floral wall on the other hand is about 80% love/20% undecided.

I have more thoughts to share on life happenings, etc.,
but I wanted to be sure to add a little vintage chic to my first post of 2013!

Goodnight.

Thank you so much for still being there,
Jami

Comments

1. Wow, so glad you’re back.
    You have so much patience with all that painting etc……phwoar!!!
    It’s really does look great though. I’ll bet you’re glad it’s done now.
    I love the greyish teal……
    And the stamped walls are pretty too.
    Tania xx
    Scandi Coast Home recently posted..Share Your Blog Saturday – Linky Party # 21My Profile

2. Miranda says:

I’m so happy to see you back Jami! Your cabinets are beautiful and I ADORE the candy store pulls on the drawers. Where did you get that rose stamps? I absolutely love the effect and I think it looks great the way it is, though the 1/2 faded one is my favorite. The kitchen is looking gorgeous!!
    Miranda recently posted..Taking Time for TeaMy Profile

• Jami says:

Thank you so much, Miranda! The rose stamps are the “Rose is a Rose” set from Stampin’ Up. It’s discontinued but I found a set on ebay for $20. If you can’t find them and want them, let me know and I’ll send you mine when I’m done. I don’t think I’ll need them after I finish the graphite wall. I just sanded a few roses a bit more and I definitely like them more with a softened edge!

3. SueAnn says:

Good to see you!!! Definitely missed you!
    Love your kitchen cabinets and the color of the walls is beautiful. I too am not sure of the pattern though….looks ummmmm….jumbled..crowded. Just saying
    Hugs
    SueAnn

4. Jami I’ve been thinking about you and hoping you were keeping busy, so glad to hear you’re back in the saddle and can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to! I agree the floral stamps on the wall should be sanded back for a more faded look, the true ‘stamp edge’ is too mechanical and hard looking. Good luck!

5. Emily says:

Jami, I’m so glad you’re back & blogging again. I’ve missed your beautiful pictures & words! It looks like you’ve been keeping busy & I LOVE those vintage candy drawer pulls. 100% you – can’t wait to see what else you’ve been up to!
    Emily recently posted..Hey GirlMy Profile

6. Rasonda says:

You know I wouldn’t go ANYWHERE! We are bonded forever by being parents of twins- haha!!! LOVE the kitchen. I’ll be honest at first I wasn’t too sure on the rose stencil but by the end of the post I was totally digging it. I think its shabbyily sophisticated and totally original. I am totally loving the label as well. SO glad to see you back, have a great weekend!
    Rasonda recently posted..I’ve Joined the White Kitchen Cabinet ClubMy Profile

7. Sherrill says:

Nice to have you back! I have been concentrating on getting some projects done around here as well and have been a bit MIA on my blog, too! My posts are getting further and further apart! One has to take care of life! ;) That’s why I love my reader, when someone posts, it is there waiting for me!

It is all looking great! Whatever you end up doing, bottom line is what you love to look at! Can’t wait to see more!
    Sherrill recently posted..Happy Valentine’s Day! ! !My Profile

8. Jill Flory says:

JAMI!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!! you are BAAAAACCCKKK!!! So happy to see Freckled Laundry pop up in my blogroll today :)
    I’d try softening the roses with a bit more sanding before totally getting rid of them! And just look at it for a few weeks to see if you love it or not! i lvoe the grey on white!
    Jill Flory recently posted..Me and My JanomeMy Profile

9. Renee says:

Welcome back! Your walls look great…what a good idea. I would have never thought to stamp them! And I truly love the color on your cabinets…gorgeous!
    Renee recently posted..Feeling FrenchMy Profile

10. Pam Ballard says:

Hi there, glad your back too! Lovely post!

11. keya says:

so glad to have you back! can’t wait to see more of what you’ve been up to.
    keya recently posted..new/old coffee tableMy Profile

12. Anne says:

Jamie I have missed you! So happy to see you pop in.Sorry to hear about your computer.Those roses are sweet! But I hear ya I am a plain kinda gal too.Give it time and see if it makes you happy.If it doesn’t than you can always paint over it right?Your cabinet color is so pretty too!
    xx
    Anne

13. Glad to see you back and great that you enjoyed your time away (even if stripping cabinets counts as enjoyable lol.) Love the teal and I think the roses are very pretty. I like the suggestion of living with them for a bit but do what you have to do.
    Elizabeth@ Blue Clear Sky recently posted..Robin’s Egg Storage Box and More SnowMy Profile

14. laurie says:

Yay! Jami’s back! lol! Obviously you were missed by all of us, and I’m so glad that the time you spent away from Bloglandia was productive, creative, and fun for you! I DO love the faded, almost-there look of that faux wallpaper, Jami! What a neat idea! Can you imagine little pink or blue ones in a bedroom….?? Ummmm…..yeah. ♥ I can’t even imagine the work it took to redo all of those cabinets from scratch. YOU have the patience of Job, girl! :) Have a restful week, sweetie! You need it! :)

xoxo laurie
    laurie recently posted..Hobnail Lamp GlobeMy Profile

15. Suzy says:

Glad to see you back Jami, I’ve missed your posts. The faded roses look wonderful and I’m pretty impressed that you stripped your cabinets down and repainted them! WoW! They look GREAT in the new grey-teal. Very nice!

16. Caroline says:

So very nice to see you back!! I LOVE the new colors of your kitchen :)

17. Welcome back,Jami! You were missed. I think we all need to unplug and spend time alone to reflect, replenish our creative mojo, complete projects and connect in other ways. Your kitchen is beautiful. I especially love your cabinets! How long did it take you to strip them?
    Your Friend,
    Deborah

18. Linda says:

Love those pulls!

19. Yay! Yayayay!!! I’m so gals to see you back again! I am away on an extended trip myself, right now. I’ll be home in another two weeks. I’m thrilled to see you and I am thoroughly impressed that you stripped those cabinets. THAT is a commitment to quality! And they look fantastic!
    Breida

20. Denise T says:

I have wondered about you. I am glad you came back. The color of grayish-teal is gorgeous!

21. Sue says:

So glad you are back…it was worth the wait…wow!

22. WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed you and am so happy you’re back!! Yippieeeeee!!!! Can’t wait to see what all you have been up to – the kitchen is looking spectacular! ~ Hugs, Jennifer

23. I am SO HAPPY to see you’re back. I’ve missed you.

I love the kitchen ~ everything you did with it.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs, Mary Beth
    Mary Beth @ Cupcakes and Crinoline recently posted..Chocolate Toffee Cupcakes with Toffee Buttercream FrostingMy Profile

24. Suzanne says:

Welcome back. I’ve missed your beautiful laundry and everything else!

25. so glad to see you, jami! i love the stamped rose wall. i’ve never stripped everthing, but, it sounds scary:),but, the teal color looks beautiful and the pulls are so awesome!
    lynn at shabby story recently posted..a junky dressing room…My Profile

26. I love the vintage pulls and the new color!!

27. Kathi says:

Welcome back! Good job ;-)

28. jodi says:

Welcome back! It’s good to see you, I have been wondering how you have been! :) I have kind of taken a little leave from blogging, but I am always here checking out what is going on. :)

I LOVE the cabinets and the pulls are gorgeous! You did a beautiful job on them.

Take care and good to see you back! :)
    Jodi

29. Marybeth says:

love the pulls, and love the stencils, maybe sand the edges a little and maybe do a lighter shade of grey in addition to the other color………

30. DebV says:

Definitely missed your posts! so glad that you are back and love your walls!

31. Helen T says:

Hello, I am so glad you are back, I have missed your posts and love what you’ve done with your kitchen
    Helen T recently posted..New Years ResolutionMy Profile

32. Welcome back Girlfriend! I’ve missed you SO much! I LOVE the new color AND the roses! Chat soon?! xo
    Kimberly ~Serendipity Refined recently posted..Stenciled Burlap Bunny Table Runner {No Sew}My Profile

33. Jamie says:

Welcome back! I love your blog and so glad you’re back in blogland! Those cabinets are gorgeous!

34. Erin says:

Ironically, I thought I’d pop over and see if you were back, YAY!! Here you are!! I love those cabinets and have been pondering mine, and too funny, just last week decided to not go with Creamy in the kitch/dining and to go with more of a creamy gray..uh-hem, you my dear have solved a lot of problems(unanswered questions too!) for me. Serendipitous Jami, no shocker for me though;) Can’t wait to see more and to continue to be inspired by your darling self!
    Hugs,
    Erin

35. Debbie Christianson says:

I did the same with Downton Abby! Glad to be all caught up! Your kitchen looks amazing!

36. Glad you are back! Everything looks lovely! Take care, Laura

37. glad your back and your kitchen looks great! love the teal and gray!
    Karen @ My Reclaimed Haven recently posted..Greenhouses,Sheds and Garden Retreats!My Profile

Hooray for all the fun things you’ve been able to accomplish! Love the changes…and that you’re brave enough to keep trying until it is right. Welcome back, cute girl. Now to find my groove again…
    Chris recently posted..Purse for me + zippy pouchMy Profile

39. Donna@d.Reyné says:

Hi there Sweet Jamie!
    I have missed you and had to laugh at your repainting process. I do the same thing! I have really struggled with cabinet choices myself but really, really love what you finished with! It’s wonderful!
    Take care ad I am so glad that you came up on my blog roll!
    Hugs from here
    Donna

40. Virgie Jividen says:

Woohoo!!! You’re BACK!!! So happy to see your blog today!!! Love what you did with your walls, Jami! Love those roses – great idea! Was glad to hear you stripped your cabinets and started fresh. I know it made you feel soooo much better. Love you, girl. Aunt Virg.

41. Still here. Yeah, in my opinion the roses are a little heavy. Don’t know what I’d do otherwise though. I’m not very good with paint and such. Love the cabinets! Welcome to 2013!
    Brenda
    Brenda Kula-Pruitt recently posted..Tweak It Tuesday #30My Profile

42. Everyone needs a break, but I’m glad yours is over cause I missed you! Love, love the cabinets and the pulls. The stamped wall…not my favorite. You know I never would intentionally want to hurt your feelings, but I thought you would appreciate the honest feedback. It is as if there isn’t enough flowers. Seems maybe the flowers are too scattered apart because you don’t like busy? What if you did vertical stripes and stamped inside the stripes? But put a large space in between the stripes. Im thinking ticking looking stripes. That way it wouldn’t be too busy and yet still have a flow and pattern with the stamped flowers. Or if you fall in love with it as it is now 100%, then keep it! That is all that matters in the end, if you love it right?

43. ti says:

Soooo glad that you are back!!!
    Love what you did… and agree on more sanded faded look for the roses. I love that idea since I have been in a ‘back to my grandma’s’ in my mind the last few months, after getting some of her wonderful treasures! and was thinking of all the ideas at grandma’s that I loved…. plates lining the kitchen walls, floral wallpapers in the bedrooms and living… I am thinking of doing all those to my house right now!!! I know it isn’t the ‘in’ thing, but I loved it and still do! She is gone now, but the memories of those days are vivid. As I have a ‘big’ one, (BD) Friday, I am thinking how life is really short, enjoy what YOU love! be who YOU want to be and LOVE life to the fullest! If people look at you funny… oh well, they might feel at liberty to finally join in and have some fun too! Age is a state of mind!!!
    OK, who cares, sorry…!
    I read through the comments and couldn’t find where anyone asked, but WHERE DID YOU FIND THOSE AWESOME DRAWER PULLS???

Again, loved that you are back!!!
    Ti

44. alima says:

Sorry I haven’t had the chance to stop by and say welcome back yet! Life has been busy, but I am SO happy you are back to blogging! I have missed your projects and you’re beautiful pictures! The kitchen looks great and I love the stamped wall. Can’t wait to see more!
    xo,
    alima

45. Tavia says:

Love your lower cabinets!! How on earth did you strip that paint off!! It looks perfect! Really love those drawer pulls, where did you get them??
    Thanks for being so inspiring, you have great style!!

46. brigitte bernard says:

hi
    i just found your blog, and fall in love with your kitchen cabinet, can you said me the color and the brand? thank you so much
    i love your blog and your taste
    great style

47. Jamie, I am loving the changes you made in your kitchen! Fabulous! I am loving your cabinet pulls…where did you find them? I am currently look for oil rubbed bronze pulls for our master bathroom makeover and these would be perfect!
    Thanks!
    Jennifer

48. Jayne says:

Love the new teal color of your cabinets! I can’t imagine stripping them though, what a job!