family room painting and plywood planked floor progress

Happy Monday, lovelies.

I wanted to share a little family room progress with you.

Since my last post, I primed and painted to get ready for the maple plywood planked floor installation.
Well, almost finished painting.
I still need to finish painting the trim…and now the ceiling, which was an afterthought because the two whites don’t work.
(Ceilings should never be an afterthought, really.)

The accent•feature•focal•whatever•you•want•to•call•it wall
is dark gray, but not quite charcoal…more like the lead of a #2 pencil.

Benjamin Moore Gray 2121-10
There’s a smoky, softness to it in the light.
I have plans to soften the wall with laundry and work in the white of the rest of the room.
I’m thinking white voile curtains, and white linen words or a monogram above the windows, sort of like I did HERE,

but on a wall.
You might remember my original plan to cover the wall in linen or contrasting white linen stripes
(before I seriously considered my children and their messy and curious little hands).

I know, I know.
Some of you might think that an accent wall is outdated or that I chickened out painting the entire room gray.
Maybe and no, respectively.

I think accent walls still work if done properly, so I hope I can make it work.
I chose that particular wall for a reason.
There is no fancy architecture or a fireplace,
but it’s the wall you see straight through the archways when standing at my front door.
It’s also the wall you see when hanging out in the kitchen.
(I live here and it makes sense to me, so I’m going with it.)

I have other thoughts for the space, but they are just thoughts until I finish the kitchen.
I only briefly interrupted that progress because my husband suggested we do the family room floors.
(And when your husband dislikes home improvement projects as much as mine does,
you immediately drop what you’re doing when he wants to home improve.)

The other walls in the room were simply painted white with a tinge of gray.
It definitely reads white though.

Benjamin Moore Distant Gray OC-68
Originally, I was going to paint the other walls the same grayish linen color of the floral wall in my kitchen,
but at the last minute, decided to paint them the same white (“Distant Gray”) that’s in the rest of the kitchen.
My kitchen and family room connect through double French doors and I felt like keeping the connecting color the same,
it would flow and visually open the space up a little.
(Once again, I live here and it makes sense to me, so I’m going with it.)

After painting as much as I could the night before, we put down the underlayment…

Nothing exciting, but the underlayment is lavender, so I threw it in here.
(I’ve since repainted the interior grid on the door and reattached it. See photo below.)

As for my maple planked floor…

I love.
I will say that I loved it much more BEFORE the clear coat (just a personal preference), but it’s still lovely.
Here is the unfinished look…

The wood was so much softer looking before the clear coat.
It totally popped the grain, which I anticipated and happens when you finish wood.
(Something to keep in mind when choosing your wood and selecting pieces/sheets.)
After the recommended four coats of Crystal Clear Varathane…

We went with a satin finish because I don’t fancy a mirror finish on planked floors.
After combing through a few online forums,
the floor pros seemed to think satin was too matte and recommended two coats of semi-gloss,
followed by two coats of satin.
(I also learned that the higher the shine, the harder the finish.)
So, that’s what I did…two semi-gloss coats followed by two satin.

Today, I’ll finish painting the room and add shoe molding…and hopefully finish by the afternoon
so that I can get my living room furniture out of my little kitchen!
Update:
I got completely sidetracked and decided to paint a desk and mirror instead.
It’s for the family room though. ;)

It would have been out of there last week, but we ran into the typical DIY drama. ;)
We were nearly done with installing the planks before realizing that
one sheet of plywood was cut wrong and the planks were a half-inch skinnier.
No problem.
We went back to Lowe’s to have another sheet cut, but they were out of the 1/4″ maple plywood.
(There was a single sheet left, but it had been abused.)
Ah!
Problem.
They told us another shipment was on the way and might arrive last Monday.
We patiently waited until Wednesday and no shipment,
so my husband made the trip to another Lowe’s about an hour away.
Problem solved.

I’ve also been helping my sister with a budget-friendly kitchen makeover.
She is putting her century-old Colonial on the market next week,
so Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and I had a little work to do.

Anyhow, I’ll share prettier photos and my verdict on plywood floors in my next post.

Have a lovely week and thank you for reading,
Jami

The winner of the lettered & lined giveaway is #46…Pam Ballard.

Enjoy your sweet, little prints!

I wish I could have picked all of you who entered,
but you can still enjoy 20% off any lettered & lined order with coupon code FRECKLED20.

Comments

1. Jami I’m in love!!!! Truly gorgeous and even more so knowing it’s plywood and DIY! Amazing and I agree satin is the way to go these days.
    Jaime Costiglio recently posted.."B" is for Build It PartyMy Profile

2. cassie says:

gorgeous- i love that gray!
    cassie recently posted.."How I Spent My Blog Vacation" by Cassie BustamanteMy Profile

3. Kathi says:

So glad you are back. Can’t wait to see finished room. Love your dark accent wall

4. Jill Flory says:

Love your new floor Jami! I agree with you on liking wood better before the clear coat goes on. but what can we do? it just doesn’t wear as nice if we leave the wood bare. So we put up with the slight shine :) I do really really like it finished too, and you will love a wood floor!
    Jill Flory recently posted..Sticky Chicken – and a Sneak Peek!My Profile

5. gorgeous! love the dark gray and the light wood. looks great together.
    Jessica @ Dear Emmeline recently posted..DIY Easy Embroidery Hoop PendantMy Profile

6. Anne says:

Congratulations to the winner!!! Oh Jamie your floors look beautiful!!!! LOVE,LOVE,LOVE! And you wall color looks perfect too! Can’t wait too see it all come together.I am sure you feel that way too!
    xx
    Anne

7. Rasonda says:

Its GORGEOUS Jami!!!
    Rasonda recently posted..DIY No Sew Drop Cloth CurtainsMy Profile

8. It’s looking SO nice! I like that charcoal shade…if my house wasn’t so darkish, I’d use it somewhere! Sort of gives the feel of a chalkboard wall without having that messy look!
    Lorraine@MissFlibbertigibbet recently posted..Spring SunlightMy Profile

9. I LOVE your plank floors. Would you write up the process for putting those floors in? I have been saving for hardwood floors for my sewing studio. It’s slow and it seems like I won’t ever be able to afford flooring. But… we’re not super killed with wood work. I would love to see what it took for you to lay the floors to see if it would be something we could do or if the project would be over our skill level.

Bobbi

10. Diana says:

Looking good Jami can’t wait to see all more! Those floors are beautiful.

11. Alima says:

I’m with you on the unfinished floors – LOVE them!
    They are still beautiful even with the varathane and obviously they’ll hold up so much better.
    Now I want to rip out all my carpet!

12. sherry hart says:

Whoa nellie….those floors are fabulous. Dang it.

13. Marian says:

So pretty. And my, what a busy girl you’ve been. Thanks for squeezing us in!
    Marian recently posted..Estate Sale Eye CandyMy Profile

14. Theresa nardone says:

Wow, i cant believe how gorgeous they came out! Especially for the cost! Love the grey as well. Please share how you installed them!

15. oh, the floors turned out really beautiful, jami! love the wall colors, too–my son had a charcoal painted accent wall in his room, and i loved it:)

16. Deborah says:

The floors are fantastically beautiful. Are they over concrete or wood subfloor?

17. I think that your accent wall ROCKS and your floors are gorgeous! xo
    Kimberly ~Serendipity Refined recently posted..Burlap Easter Napkin Rings {Pier 1 Knockoff} Bunny Ears and ButterfliesMy Profile

18. Courtney says:

Loving it Jami- so pretty!! The floor is fantastic in there too!

19. laurie says:

I am such a fan of wood floors – real or not. Just love the look of them! Your’s turned out so pretty, Jami! The room’s coming together nicely!!!! :)

xoxo laurie
    laurie recently posted..Sun In My HeartMy Profile

20. Your floors look stunning, Jami. Love the dark gray with the hint of gray walls too. It is going to look fabulous.
    Elizabeth@ Blue Clear Sky recently posted..Saturday Shopping and CraftingMy Profile

21. I just love your floors! The Lavender wall looks beautiful too! I envy you because you did it yourself. I want to repaint and paste wallpapers but i’m a bit scared and i don’t know how to get started.