white withdrawal

Yesterday, I was going through a little white withdrawal.
Or paint withdrawal.
Or both.
Too much time behind a sewing machine will do that to a girl, you know.

I’m sure you’ve had the itch before, too.
There I was, blank staring at my giant mantel,
wondering what to do for Christmas this year,
and somehow, some way,
that led to me hauling my hutch into the room and painting it white.

You know.

The usual.

{Yes, it’s still missing a knob. Trying to decide between the pewter on the door or the crystal knobs on the drawers.
It still needs another coat of paint, too.}

And can someone please tell me WHY???? I have painted this hutch thrice now,
but still have a line of unpainted pieces waiting for a first coat? (i.e. Viv)

I’m broken. Fix me.

I’m sure this is a sin in someone’s book,
but I did have to shave a lil’ off the sides to get her to fit.

I felt pretty guilty while doing it, if it makes you feel any better.
But she belonged there.

(I originally bought the hutch to put in that very spot.)

Then, as I was rummaging through a box of silver to find a few fresh pieces for my mantel,
I whipped out this pretty little Wallace bowl
{love the tiny beading along the edge},

gave it a polish,
and realized that it was stamped “sterling” on the back.

Now I feel bad that it was sitting in a box for the better part of two years!

I also rediscovered an antique gilded mirror that I bought at yard sale this past summer for $10.
It got a basecoat of white too and I {think} I’m going to add some silver gilding.

And to top it all off,
I played with a little more white in the form of clay for holiday tags and some friends.

We all need a totally random play day once in a while.

What colors have you been playing with lately?

I hope you all have a lovely week!
Thanksgiving blessing to my American readers.

love,
Jami

The winners of a copy of Inspired You! are:
Jane at Cottage at the Crossroads
Carol Spears

Congratulations!
You will love it.
Thank you to everyone who entered.
I wish I had a copy of for each of you.

Comments

1. Anne says:

I am painting white everywhere! And the more white I paint the happier I am LOL! What a beautiful painted piece.And I think it fits just fine too! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Congrats to the winner!!!!!
    xx
    Anne

2. I have a curio cabinet that needs a little white love, myself! And, I can relate to having one of those days. I am feeling the very strong urge to have one of those myself!
    sue@housepretty recently posted..The Purchase That Almost Spent UsMy Profile

3. that curio looks so good right there , I would have shaved a bit off too!!

4. Theresa Nardone says:

I love the white on white look, and layered with all things silver, maybe even some blue for Christmas. Change it up from the red!
    Theresa Nardone recently posted..Thanksgiving Floral CenterpieceMy Profile

5. mary says:

Your curio cabinet looks perfect in that spot! I have had to shave some furniture in my time to to make them fit where they belonged!

6. laurie says:

It truly was meant for that space, Jami! Looks fabulous! Isn’t it fun to re-discover treasures while rummaging around? :) I unearthed some pretty floral antique platters and bowls that I stuffed away during my JDA-themed decor. They were perfect with my shabby chic tablescape for Thanksgiving! Hope you had a blessed day with family and friends! ♥

xoxo laurie

7. The Other Me says:

Hey, it’s in the rule book that shaving a little off furniture is totally legal if it needs to fit. Love your whites all cozy’ed next to each other.
    The Other Me recently posted..Scraped Hardwood Floors 2My Profile

8. Marian says:

I love that you’ve painted your hutch 3 times. That is awesome. I have been forbidden from painting my corner cabinet white until AFTER Christmas by both my mother and my husband. For some reason, they seem to think that taking apart and painting the major storage piece in my dining room might bother me while prepping for Christmas. So I will be good and wait for January. And paint my desk in the basement instead.

9. Alima says:

I’ve been on a big painting spree lately. Painted my bedroom walls and my bed white, painted my fireplace mantel white and then this week I’ve painted my living room and kitchen walls gray. And now I’m in the midst of painting my many kitchen cabinets white. It’s been a big project but I’m loving the way it’s brightening up my house!!

10. Lynne says:

Hi, sweet Jamie!
    Love the hutch there! Perfect. With the shimming, it’s almost a “built in”. I bought Marion’s book! I was so pleased to see a shout out mentioning you! The book is wonderful. It took me back to when MMS started. Between you and me, I sort of miss the early posts, but I am so pleased to see her success!
    The best of blessings to you and your sweets!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

11. the hutch looks pretty there! if it was meant for the spot then I say don’t feel guilty at all for giving her a little nip tuck to fit. ;) I’ve been using a lot of gray recently!
    Jessica @ Dear Emmeline recently posted..finding the right perspective: turning my gripes to praisesMy Profile

12. SueAnn says:

Everything looks fabulous…me? I have been playing with red, white and bling!
    Ha
    Hugs
    SueAnn

13. bj says:

I love it painted white and I would NEVER be above shaving off a piece to get it to fit. Sounds like a plan to me. :)
    I just linked to get you in my email….:)
    xo bj

14. amy says:

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

15. Jill Flory says:

You know I love that hutch – it’s white!! Glad you had fun playing – you deserve it!
    Jill Flory recently posted..PreppingMy Profile