faded pink, a chalk paint recipe, antique farm house

‘Tis the season to be decorating with red and green faded pink and white, right?

On Wednesday, I shared a my white withdrawl and a freshly painted white desk/hutch.

Decorating 101:
A freshly painted white hutch surely needs a freshly painted something else to go with it. ;)

On a serious note, I needed something a bit taller for the left side of the fireplace
to kind-of-sort-of balance out the height of the hutch on the right,
so I painted an old window a barely there faded pink and leaned my finished white mirror against it.

I love the soft, shabby look of the desaturated pink in this room and I can’t wait to cozy it all up for Christmas!

I wanted a fresh space to work with.

I think I’ll embrace the simplicity of fresh {ever}greenery and perhaps some twinkle lights, but not too much.
(I’ll save the traditional reds and greens that I also love for our family room.)

Don’t be afraid to paint a few small pieces (or a big one) if you feel like you need a clean slate.
A little paint goes a long way in that regard, especially if you’re working with a mostly neutral (gray & white) space.

The faded pink window color is nearly identical to the faded pink I used inside my kitchen cabinet in this post.

(It’s no longer faded pink on the inside though.)

Here’s the recipe:

Mix a 2:1:1 ratio of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in
Antoinette,
Old White,
and Pure White.

Excuse my messy paint cans!
The plastic can lids with the screw top (as seen on Antoinette) really DO work, by the way.
Sadly, I didn’t wipe the outside of the rim the last time I use it and so the screw on lid wouldn’t budge.
I ended up having to remove the entire cover and pour…therefore, the messy can.

So, just make sure the outside rim of the pour spout is clean before you screw the cap back on and your can will stay nice and tidy.

Anyhow, I mixed roughly 1/4 c. of Antoinette with 1/8 c. each of Pure White & Old White
and ended up with this…

Out of the can, Antoinette is like a purple/bluish pink.
The Old White lightens and warms up the pink while the Pure White just lightens it.
Too much Old White and you end up with peach, not pink.
So, once you’ve warmed up the pink a little with the Old White, desaturate it with the plain Pure White.
Make sense?

I may go over it with a graphite wax mixture, which is what I did with my kitchen cabinet interior.
For the graphite wax, mix a little Graphite Chalk Paint with Annie Sloan Clear Wax.
(I mix about 1/2 tsp. of graphite with 1 tsp. of wax.)

That’s about all the fussing & painting I’ll be doing for a bit though.
This week, I’ll be making bunches of clay tags.

My tags are being featured on Antique Farm House today.

Yasmin discovered my tags in my guest post for Miss Mustard Seed’s “Running a Creative Business” series.
I am grateful that she connected with me through my story and wanted to feature them!
{Thank you, Yasmin, Nadia…and Marian.}

If you want to pick up my petite number or letter tags at a steal, just click the picture above
to go to the Antique Farm House site.

There is a chance you’ll walk away with something else too, like the huge tabletop mannequin.
You have been warned.
;)

I hope you had a lovely weekend!
Jami

Comments

1. Anne says:

Jamie love the soft pink color on that window! I am going to try that mix next time I use Antoinette.I love soft pale pinks! They are just enough color to add to a white palette! Congratulations on your product feature at Antique farmhouse!
    xx
    Anne

2. Congratulations on your beautiful tags being featured. Love the white window against the pale pink. So very pretty and it will look very seasonal with greenery. My new to me kitchen hutch is going to be painted white in the New Year and I can hardly wait.
    Elizabeth@ Blue Clear Sky recently posted..Santa Mugs and More Ironstone FindsMy Profile

3. Theresa says:

Gorgeous! Love the tags, trying to think of a way to use them!!
    Theresa recently posted..Thanksgiving Floral CenterpieceMy Profile

4. Jill Flory says:

Looking LOVELY! Can’t wait to see your Christmas decor – can’t wait to get MY Christmas decor going now that the Craft Market is over!
    Jill Flory recently posted..PreppingMy Profile

5. Tanya says:

Beautiful! It’s perfectly warm and lovely :)

xoxo, Tanya
    twelveOeight
    Tanya recently posted..Vintage Paper GarlandMy Profile

6. Alima says:

LOVE that old window! It’s beautiful! I’m always on the hunt for a big old window like that, but so far I haven’t found the perfect one! Maybe when I do I’ll paint it soft pink – the husband will die! Ha! :)

7. Bambi Mayer says:

Thanks for the recipe for the soft pink. I bought some Antoinette to paint a bedroom set for my granddaughter and was worried that the pink just isn’t quite right. I think your mixture will be perfect. Funny, on my laptop the color looks bluish but I checked it on my iPad and it looks soft pink. I had no idea that the colors on my computer we so off!

8. jayne says:

Congratulations on your beautiful tags being featured!! And I just love that beautiful pink you came up with, perfection…
    jayne recently posted..Think I could glitter that??My Profile

9. Oh Jami! That soft pink is lovely! Thanks for sharing the recipe :-) I love that all white room too… makes me wish I had one… oh well… maybe one day I will! Congratulations on the Antique Farm House feature!!! How Awesome!! I love, LOVE their site!!! Yippie!!!!!!!!

10. Rebecca says:

They’re so pretty Jami – love how you have stacked them. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.
    Rebecca recently posted..Post Thanksgiving offer for youMy Profile

11. I just love the clean pallette in your living (?) room! just curious…are your kids banned to enter it?! lol. I could never keep a white room clean…these kids leave handprints, smudges, crumbs, boogers, you name it..EVERYEHERE! It is so beautiful! Congrats on being featured on Antique Farm House! Your tags are a perfect addition to their site.
    Jessica @ Dear Emmeline recently posted..Have you heard of Tophatter? Get your $10 credit!My Profile

12. Love the old windows as your room! So pretty, and simple…

My, oh my, hitting the magazines now, are we?! Congrats!
    sue@housepretty recently posted..How I Wish, And Some InspirationMy Profile

13. Anna says:

Jami I love your home! It’s so beautiful and white! How do you keep it clean and that white with children?! You seem like a really down to earth person so I must know your secrets. I would love a white sofa but just having white throw pillows is a lot for me to keep clean lol! You should do a post about all your white and your kids :) Seriously though.

14. laurie says:

Love love love the pink and white Christmas theme, Jami! Right up my alley, girl!! lol! Thanks for the paint recipe – and I love those twist tops. They work wonderfully! :)

Have a happy week!

xoxo laurie
    laurie recently posted..Double RufflesMy Profile

15. sarah walker says:

Just purchased some of your tags from AF. Can’t wait to get them. Congratulations. sarah

16. Diana says:

Thanks for the paint recipe and congrats on having your tags presented at Antique Farm House!

17. Natalie says:

Hiya Darlin! Long time no see (or write for that matter)! I’ve really missed you and I caught up with your blog today. My, my, how things have changed around here. You have remained the same throughout it all. Congrats on your blog success. I just can’t wait to see what you’ll be serving up next. Btw, I am now following your facebook page ;-)
    Natalie recently posted..Dedicated to VisionsMy Profile

18. bj says:

AWESOME…it all looks just AWESOME…I love that pale, nearly not there, Pink.:)
    I bought some of your little tags and can hardly wait for them to arrive. :)

19. This is cool and very nice informative issues. I’ll try to consider it for my future references, thanks for this great article.

20. Hi Jami,

Oh you always make redoing and decorating look so effortless & easy – LOVE!!! I have really missed logging onto blogger and posting a comment here – as this is all just feast for my eyes! :) I finally had a chance to put up a blog post now that finals are over! Wahoo!!! lol Anyway, wishing you and yours a blessed Xmas!!!

Hugs,
    Jessie
    Jessie @A Cozy Cottage in the City recently posted..Holiday Decorating…and Some Updates!My Profile