let there be teal (cabinets)

Happy Sunday.

I have a busy bee little laundry morning ahead of me
and a football playoff game for my Jaderbug this afternoon,
but while I enjoy a morning cup of coffee,
I thought I’d share a look at my teal cabinets that I recently painted.

They are a deep teal with a faint white wash.

UPDATE:
I had a duh moment when thinking of a way to accurately show you the teal.
I simply removed a cabinet door and placed in on my white sofa!
I can’t believe I didn’t think of that before.

{Of course, the whitewash detail isn’t showing up as good in these photos but at least the color is right!}

Isn’t it pretty?

Feel free to ignore my blabbering below about my camera and the inaccurate color now…

UPDATE #2:
Jaden and his team won the playoff game! Onto the finals. :)

For some reason, my camera could not capture the truest color of my cabinets in my kitchen
despite photographing them at various times throughout the course of three days.
I tried dawn, full sun, clouds, and dusk.

Of the 1,ooo,ooo photos, these ones were the closest…
(I think once I photograph the entire room which is mostly white from the cabinets up, the teal will be more accurate.)

Why didn’t I just photograph the whole room then?
Because it will capture another project that I’m working on. ;)

I wanted a timeworn and faded finish,
so I faintly whitewashed everything, going a little heavier on the edges and details.

(The knobs are pewter.)

On the drawer and door fronts, my camera seems to pick up the whitewash and muddy everything else around it.
It almost looks like they were rubbed with graphite wax, but they weren’t.

I have no idea why the cabinet doors below appear patchy.
You don’t see that with the naked eye.
I finished them with General Finishes Satin Polyacrylic, but still need to lightly sand and apply one or two more coats.
That might be why they appear to be variegated in photographs.

For the teal, I used a combination of Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint in Flow Blue, Kitchen Scale, and Typewriter
that I ordered from Patty at Classic Wall Finishes.
Typewriter is a charcoal black that just knocked down the vibrancy of the other two colors a touch.

I know these images don’t capture the true loveliness of the teal, but I will share the recipe soon!
I’ll finish the cabinet clear coat and I’m hoping that reshooting with my sister’s Nikon
will make for a good tutorial post.

Why am I showing you the teal if it isn’t right?
a. It’s right enough. It’s just a touch muddier in photographs.
b. I realize that I am ridiculously picky about color.
c. I love the teal and couldn’t wait to show you something.
(Just wait until you see them surrounded by zinc and pure white!)

My kitchen definitely doesn’t look like this anymore…

BEFORE

Well, except for the tile floors that I mentioned here.

My husband {initially} hated the teal base coat.
He rarely has an opinion about such matters of the house, so I felt frustrated with the constant mention of such hatred
every time he walked into the kitchen.
I started feeling guilty.
I want him to love our kitchen too. I’m not just fixing this place up for me.

While he was working a double, I decided to surprise him with deep navy blue cabinets,
white washed to look like indigo denim.
I figured I could pass it off as NY Yankees inspired.

I love my blue jeans…

…but NOT on my cabinets.

The inky blue was prettier than it appears in this night shot that I snapped for evidence,
but I wanted to cry after painting over the teal!

After my little ones were tucked in their beds that night,
I got the paint and brushes back out and repainted the cabinet teal and added the whitewash.

{I tried.}

All was right in the house of laundry again when my husband came home the next morning
and said the teal cabinets looked good.

{sigh}

Thank you, white wash.

I think we both just needed a little faith.

THAT is just another reason why my kitchen has taken a year!

Sometimes I think I plan too much
(i.e. amateur photoshop renderings and a teal sweater to my cabinet for a few weeks),
and sometimes I don’t plan enough
(i.e. painting a cabinet indigo blue on a whim).

Are you a serious planner or do you just do whatever comes to mind?

Have a lovely week!
Jami

Comments

1. Shauna says:

Love how these turned out! Have a great day. xx ::: Shauna ::: http://www.shaunawyrick.com

2. Kimberly from Serendipity Refined says:

They are fabulous, girlfriend! I can’t wait for the “rest” of the story! Have a wonderful Sunday! xo, Kimberly

• Jami says:

Thank you, Kimberly! I can’t wait to show you the rest of the story. I think it’s the longest tale I’ve ever told. :) xo Jami

3. Jaime Costiglio says:

Jami those are beauties!!! Love that indigo color and I can only imagine how yummy it must look in person. I’ve heard that dark cabinets / furniture is extremely difficult to shoot so you’re frustration with the pics is understandable. Now hop to on the rest, we want to see it all!!!!!

• Jami says:

Thank you, Jaime! The indigo was lovely, but I’m happy I changed it back to teal. Once I got the white wash on there, it made a huge difference. Good to know that dark pieces are difficult to shoot in general…I couldn’t figure out what the issue was and wanted to send my camera flying. I’m hopping…so ready to be finished! xo Jami

4. Anne says:

Jamie what a beautiful color! Can’t wait to see your whole kitchen!
    xx
    Anne

5. Oh gosh they look dark grey in your pictures, go get your sisters camera quick! I want to see the real color darn it! Since I have been anticipating this change for a long time :) But even if they do look grey in these pictures, they look AWESOME no matter what color they are. Talented girl, you are talented.
    Stephanie@cre8tive recently posted..Agate in your homeMy Profile

• Jami says:

Thank you, Stephanie. I just added two new photos (removed a cab door and photographed it against my white sofa). They are more accurate than the pics I texted you. I hope you see teal now! xo

6. So excited to see the whole room – they look elegantly distressed – which to me is PERFECT!!! Like you, sometimes I’m a planner and sometimes I just run right out and start without thinking it all through. The problem is that with or without a “plan” sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t which just reinforces the behavior. :-)

• Jami says:

Thank you, Jennifer! I’ve since added a couple new pics to show the teal a little better…if you didn’t get a chance to see them. I removed a cabinet door and photographed it against my white sofa. I agree…the fact that our whims sometimes work totally reinforces the behavior. Ha!

7. Alima says:

They are beautiful Jami!!! Different and even better than I was expecting! You do such a beautiful job on your whitewash. Do you think you could do a more in debth tutorial on your whitewashing teqnique one day? Mine never turns out looking like this. It always looks over done and a little streaky. I’m never sure if I’m using too much water or not enough.
    Anyways, love your cabinets! Can’t wait to see the whole kitchen with the zinc and white!!

8. Jenny says:

Those cupboards look amazing already but I can’t wait to see the whole makeover.

9. Judy Clark says:

Love those dark cabinet doors! I wish I had the nerve to do that but instead am thinking of painting my dark wood cabinets white. Did you have to do much prep work for the Milk Paint? I’ve been considering using it.

Thanks for sharing. The whitewash was just the perfect finishing touch.

Judy

• Jami says:

Thank you, Judy! Not much prep with the milk paint…a light sanding to give them some tooth and I added Marian’s bonding primer to the milk paint. Not sure what kind of finish you want, but if you just want smooth white cabinets with no distressing, I probably wouldn’t use real milk paint. I used it for the teal because I want a weathered finish and over time, I’m hoping that I’ll get little chips and dings that will reveal the white paint beneath. My upper cabinets are painted bright white. I originally used Annie Sloan’s “Pure White” for them but the clear wax warmed up the white just enough that it wasn’t bright white and bothered me. I repainted them with General Finishes Milk Paint in white. The General Finishes Milk Paint isn’t actually milk paint…it’s 100% acrylic (just named after the old, original milk paint colors). I absolutely love the brightness of the white, the coverage, the durability, the smoothness, and how easily it wipes clean. Just thought I’d share. It’s my favorite white paint at the moment. I’ll be using it on my farm table top…and Marian’s “Shutter Gray {real} Milk Paint” on the legs. xo

10. Theresa says:

HI Jami,
    Those look beautiful…but they look grey to me! Im trying to picture what the colors look like from the Milk paint before you mixed them. Although seeing them next to the pillow did change the color slightly. I happen to love dark grey cabinets, and I hope you don’t get offended as I don’t see them as teal! But they came out awesome!
    THanks
    Theresa
    Theresa recently posted..Antique Sewing Machine…a new life!My Profile

• Jami says:

Thank you, Theresa. I’m not offended at all! I appreciate honesty…as long as it isn’t mean. I’m bummed that you’re seeing gray though. On my end, the new pics are spot on. :( When I switched from a PC to Mac, the colors were so much more vivid and rich for some reason. Are you on a PC by chance? On the bright side, at least you’re seeing dark gray, which is a color I considered. So sorry that you can’t see the color! xo

• Theresa Nardone says:

Hi jami,
        Glad I didn’t offend you. I’m actually on a Mac. But I was talking to a client the other day and she was using the term “gold” when trying to tell me what samples she would like to see on the walls. But when I showed her samples of browns, she said oh yes, thats what I want. When I showed her versions of golds, she thought they were yellows… So we all perceive color differently! My version of teal is in my eye very vivid and bright. I actually want my lower cabinets to look like yours ( dark grey according to me! Lol!
        Can’t wait to see final results!

11. laurie says:

What a gorgeously warm and rich color, Jami! I love it – and I’m not one for dark cabinets. lol! I know how you feel about the hubby not liking something we do to the house. Guilt does set in (after the initial hissy fit of course). My husband absolutely despised the Dutch door, basement door, and my linen closet after I painted them. But now…two years later..(and me standing my ground knowing that they definitely looked better and he’d eventually get over it), all is well – and they’re still white. :) Can hardly wait to see your entire kitchen!

xoxo laurie

• Jami says:

Thank you so much, Laurie! I don’t think I could handle the teal color all over my cabinets but it works on the 3 lowers against a white palette. I’m usually with you on light colors, so I’m happy that you love it too! I hope to share the finished kitchen soon! Have a beautiful week. xo

12. Rita Joy says:

Oh, Jamie, I LOVE them!!!
    Rita Joy recently posted..An Adventure-filled Home TourMy Profile

13. Toni says:

They turned out great:)

14. Jeane M. says:

Omg, thats really chick cabinets. The metallic look really got me, love dark shades for my cabinets. Got my eye on your next posts.

15. Kathy says:

Never mind about the camera and photos. These look FABULOUS! Hurry up with the formula to achieve this look!

16. Melinda says:

Wow Jami, they look awesome!!! I absolutely love the color! You always amaze me with all of the fabulous things you do around your home with 3 little ones.
    I can’t wait to see the photo of the kitchen complete, I bet it looks gorgeous!
    Hope you have a wonderful week.
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

17. Beth says:

Seriously…these look WONDERFUL and I have been on an ANTI-TEAL kick since I had to wear an awful teal colored dress to homecomong one year (okay…it maaayyy have been 1986) . So I supposed I CAN hold a grudge…the dress was horrible….eek….ANYWAY….YOU have broken thru my walls of teal aversion!! Bet you didn’t know you had such super powers!!
    Your cabinets are killer.
    Love um!
    Embracing teal,
    Beth :0)

Wow! What a lovely finish you’ve made. It is simply gorgeous.
    Chris recently posted..Give Thanks.My Profile

19. Lynne says:

Jami, the cabinets are beautiful! I think deep teal is the perfect color. Today’s teal is not the peacock teal of the 80′s. LOL We mixed it with FUSHIA! Thank you, Liz Claiborne.

Your freckled fresh laundry teal, mixed with zinc, chalkboard and white is so chic!

I can’t wait for the reveal!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.
    Lynne recently posted..French bread on Tuesday… no debate.My Profile

20. Jody says:

Jami,

I’m seeing dark gray too, but I bet they look great in teal! I just painted a door in teal this morning & love it…so far :) I definitely jump into things with both feet/ not much planning & have changed paint colors on projects {sometimes as soon as the paint is dry enough} more than once!

21. Lori says:

I love your cabinets,they’re beautiful.
    I must admit I love teal.

22. Gail says:

Your cabinets look beautiful and teal is a really hard color to photograph! Just wanted to mention that General Finishes High Performance water-based polyurethane would be great for cabinets or any surface that needs to be more water resistant and tough. Goes on just like the GF poly acrylic but I love love love it more. Comes in matte, satin, or glossy.

23. Abby says:

I love how you white washed over a dark color…very unique. I think they look beautiful!

24. bj says:

HOLY COW, WOMAN….these are AWESOME…love the color you chose. I know your kitchen is just so pretty. Enjoy your talent.:)
    xo

25. Gorgeous!!!
    Deborah Winger recently posted..Happy, Happy Friday ( homemade chalk painting and sewing)My Profile