creative business story

Hi, loves.

While Miss Mustard Seed is enjoying a much deserved (and likely needed!) vacation in the North,

she is sharing a “Running a Creative Business” series at her place.

Karen of The Graphic Fairy shared her business story and tips earlier this week, and today, I am sharing mine.

Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

I am so honored {and nervous} to have been included in Marian’s awesome business series,

and so grateful to call her my friend.

I’m sharing my honest experiences and the lessons  that I’ve learned since starting my business,

which all started with these little shoes…

…and you.

{thank you} for your friendship, too.

If it wasn’t for you, my creative business story would be summed up in less than a paragraph.

Oh yeah, and you probably noticed that I’m on WordPress now and my blog has a new look!

I’m still over here trying to figure a few things out, like how to space properly (sorry!),

put more posts on the home page, etc.

I’ll share more about the easy switch soon.

I have a new collection that I want to share with you, first.

{I know, I know. I’ve mentioned it a lot lately. I’m just excited…

…and I’ve been sewing my little fanny off over here.)

At some point, I’ll figure out how to get my signature back too. :)

1. Hi Jami,
    LOVE your story. Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring. Great humor too.
    Can’t wait to see your new collection. Good luck!

2. Diane says:

Love the new wordpress page…Just curious why everyone moves to wordpress? I am pretty new at this blogging thing, and have noticed a lot of moving going on. So to say the least, I am curious. I love your blog where ever you are. :)

• Jami says:

Aw. Thank you, Diane! I’ll be sharing why I switched in a post but my biggest reasons were organization, owning my own content (blogger owns blogger blogs), and the ability to customize and add widgets until my heart’s content. xo

3. Claudia says:

Jami, I recently moved over to wordpress as well – did it all myself. I really like it here and I know you will, too.

I live in the Hudson Valley near the Catskills – you said you live in upstate(ish) NY – maybe we’re neighbors?

4. Rebecca says:

Loved your feature at Marian’s and your new look over here ~ wishing you all the best ~ If you are interested I would be happy to help if you need help with your “Look Book” just let me know :) … (LBL#2) (LBL#9) :D

• Jami says:

Seriously? I would LOVE you to help me with it. “LBL #3: You can’t do it alone.” Thank you, Rebecca! I will send you an email. And you made me giggle with LBL#9! xo Jami

5. I love your new look…your old one was awesome as well but this is yours! I started with WordPress because of the ownership issues…sort of like the difference between renting and owning…maybe, sort of, kind of. : )

Great post over at MMS ~ you are always so inspirational. Can’t wait to see the new collection.

Have a lovely day! hugs, mb

• Jami says:

Thank you, Mary Beth! I was so nervous about that post! Thank you for the blog compliment too. I was so sad to say goodbye to the old design :(, but yes, I love that I own my blog now (among other things). Renting vs. owning…That was a good way of putting it! Reni at Bliss & Tell Branding designed my old blogger blog and I’ll probably need her to fancy this one up a bit too when I save some more pennies! xo Jami

6. Marian says:

Jami, you are the best story teller. Thanks for such an open and honest accounting of your journey. I am trying to decide what I want, before something happens, so when it does, I will be prepared. There were several bits of advice I have put in my pocket to think about.

And I am going to dye my tablecloth next Tuesday! Wish me luck!
    PS: maybe I should start reffering to myself as “The Other Marian.” Ha!

• Jami says:

Thank you so much, Marian. It’s great that you are taking the time to decide what you want. Let me know if I can help with anything once you do! And wishing you GOOD LUCK with your tablecloth!

As for “the other Marian”…ha! I got it now. I was a little confused at first. Your very first email came through without an email address so I just assumed it was Miss Mustard Seed Marian and emailed her a thank you, etc. She had no idea was I was talking about. :)

• Marian says:

That’s so funny that you thought I was MMS. I had such fun introducing myself to her this last May at the Lucketts fair. She said she had never met another Marian before. I can’t think of anyone else I’d rather share a name with. Such a wonderful person.

7. Jill Flory says:

YAY!!! You switched! Awesome – you will LOVE it! I’ve never regretted making the switch – just wondered why I didn’t do it sooner -LOL! I loved your post over at MMS – I left you a comment over there :)

• Jami says:

Thank you, Jill! I am definitely loving it so far too. Thank you for you comment at Miss Mustard Seed’s…I’ll be sitting down after baths & dinner to respond to the encouraging comments at her place. First, I need to pick my jaw up off the floor. ;) And thank you for using and sharing my little clay tag! Your autumn decorating is very pretty!

8. Deanne says:

Thank you so much Jamie, I am in the process of thinking about branding and getting organised to have a little go at selling some of my wares at some local markets and was just talking to a friend about this yesterday!

• Jami says:

Thank you for the note, Deanne! Happiness & success with your own business beginnings…If you need help with anything, let me know! xo Jami

9. Tania says:

Hi Jami, I loved your post on MMS, it was so inspirational! I got my business license at the beginning of this year but am sort of stuck it seems! Your post has given me a little boost of confidence and I thank you for that!

• Jami says:

Hi Tania. Thank you so much for writing. Happy you found a little inspiration in my journey. It’s too bad you can’t bottle & sell confidence, you know? I’d buy it. ;) If you need anything, let me know. Been there. xo Jami

10. Hi Jami- {copying and pasting my comment from MMS}
    Well. I am so glad I read this tonight. I am needing a dose of encouragement and inspiration I found both in what you wrote. I’ve been struggling – I guess we all do – but I’m trying to “bootstrap it” – anad get the job done.
    Thank you so much for having the courage to ask for what you want – I’ve learned that it’s the only way that anything happens in life – and yet it is difficult (SO difficult) at times.

WATCH THIS: I’d like to write for and be featured in a magazine – like Country Living, Better Homes and Gardens or perhaps Cottages and Bungalows.

Who said that??!!

i guess it must have been,

breida with a b.

• Jami says:

I am so happy you commented about this on my other post. I replied but didn’t approve! Here’s my reply….

Thank you so much, Breida. Yeah, sometimes we all need a dose of encouragement & inspiration (happy that you found some in what I wrote…and took the time to write me). I was nervous to write that post. Girl, I have NO DOUBT that you’ll be featured in a magazine…especially once you whip the curtain back from that white marble bathroom. (Can’t believe your glass guy did that to your marble, btw…but happy they are replacing it for you.) It will happen. You wrote it down and asked, so it has to now, right? ;) Do you follow Amy at Whisperwood Cottage? She’s a talent scout/host for Cottage & Bungalows and usually every month, she runs a themed party for features that C&B is looking for. You probably already know it, but just in case!

Thank you breida with a b.!

…and I love what you wrote about “bootstrapping” it.

11. amy says:

Thanks so much for sharing what you did.
    I have a little business and I’ve had some success. Fear hinders me way too much of the time.

I have some “baby shoes” in my collection as well. I think it’s time to let go of a few things that don’t sell as well and focus on what is. To look at those things as “opening doors” which they have. Makes so much sense, why haven’t I done this sooner.

You have such a lovely, soothing style. Will look for your new collection.

• Jami says:

Thank you so much, Amy. Sometimes it’s hard to let go of things that we love but others may not love so much…we can always come back to them though, I suppose. I just looked at your blog & shop (on your facebook page) and your little wares are awesome. I especially love the little skirts! Good luck with your business. Thank you for taking time to write. xo Jami

12. Holly says:

Saw your post over at MMS and am just curious… do you still sell the infant shoes??

• Jami says:

Hi Holly,
      I don’t list them in my Etsy shop anymore but I am happy to make you pair if you’d like. They are $43. Thanks for asking! xo

• Jami says: