antique mason’s oak dishes

First, let me just apologize for teasing you about my latest finds
in last night’s {air your laundry} friday post.
It was one of those moments where I was so excited to tell you something
but didn’t have a photo on hand to go with it,
and seeing how I’m no so good at containing excitement,
that’s what you get.
So, what was all of my ooh ooh-ing! for anyhow?
 Another thrift shop blessing.

Look at those beautiful, antique Mason’s Oak dishes underneath my new transferware.
They were made in England and the patina on each just stole my heart.
No two are the same shade.
This is the sort of shabby chic that I love.
There is every shade of buttercream you could imagine.
Some even have a brown patina that is sort of evident in the photo below.
Do you see how each is different in tone?
{love}

And the crazing.
Oh my.
THE CRAZING.

After an hour or four of research,
I couldn’t find much about this specific Mason’s Oak pattern.
It could have been made anywhere from the late 1700s to the early 1900s
(when his sons took over).
I’m guessing the latter.
Miles Mason was the original creator of ironstone china.
(There’s an interesting history site HERE.)
I don’t believe these to be ironstone but I’m by no means an expert.
They have some weight to them but when I flick the rim of the cup,
there is no characteristic ‘ringing’ sound.

If you have any insight, I would appreciate it.

I only paid $27.99 for the bunch and regardless of real value
(which I’m guessing isn’t much considering their condition),
they are worth more than gold to me.

They were stuck in a plastic milk crate on the bottom shelf.

Through the small openings in the crate,
I noticed what looked like (once) white dishes that came from a smoker’s house
and went about my business.

On the way back through, I glanced down again as I was passing by
and then that gorgeous detailing caught my eye.

I pulled a perfectly worn saucer from the crate and fell in love.
Then, I flipped it over and fell in love twice as hard because I knew I had found something special.

I am totally embracing the choice to bring in more color around here.
There have been so many instances where I’ve had to put something back on the shelf
because it wasn’t quite the right shade of the lavender that I love so dearly…like these dishes.
These colors play so nicely together.
 Very vintage chic and prairie looking, I think.

Speaking of prairie, I finally ordered a copy of Romantic Prairie Style.
(I’m only about a year behind on that purchase!)

I love a good blog, and Kindles and Nook’s are all the rage,
but there is no comparison to the ‘old-fashioned’
experience of flipping through gorgeous paper pages.

I’m on a bit of a book kick right now (Lately, I mostly buy magazines.) thanks to the
the sweetly wrapped Patina Style that arrived in the mail from
{Thank you again, Lynnie!}

I’ve spent the last week, flipping through page after page of beauty.
It’s so interesting to read what influences another’s style and how loving the very same things
results in a very different look.
As you might know, I use the term vintage chic
because I don’t categorize myself into one specific style over here
(i.e. shabby chic, french farmhouse, cottage, Swedish, Nordic, etc.)
so I love books of all flavors.

I read the book in it’s entirety at least twice so it was about time for another.

And I know you’re all telling me my time was up 30 seconds ago ;)
but I just learned that Fifi’s premier issue of Romantic Prairie Style the MAGAZINE
is now available on newsstands.
I think I just might have to find my way to Barnes & Noble tonight.

Have a lovely weekend!
I pick up my farm table in a half hour.
I’m seriously counting down over here.

Jami

Comments

1. Your post time is never up, sweet girl. I loved reading about your find and I’m so glad you walked by that crate again. What a lovely find with so much character and the price?!! Dreamy. I enjoy my copy of Prairie Style but I have yet to purchase Patina Style. I did see the magazine at our grocery store on Wednesday though.

2. Jill Elaine says:

I quite agree with Elizabeth! Your posts do not have a time limit! Your thrift find is awesome:) And I’m with you on the beautiful magazines. I have put a kindle on my wish list but not to replace the books I really really love. Just for convenience when I want to have a book along or a magazine to reference but dont’ want to haul a library around with me!!

3. chris says:

Lucky girl!!! I love the buttery color, too.

4. Alexis says:

Oh my goodness, those dishes are beautiful!

5. Serendipity. says:

Those are GLORIOUS. Contact these folks: http://www.replacements.com/webquote/MASMAO.htm

That looks like your pattern and they may be able to provide you with information. xo, Kimberly

6. Tania Maree says:

WoW! Jami, what a score!
    Those are soooo beautiful.
    You just can’t buy that in a shop
    (and for $7.99 too!!!)
    You will love Romantic Prairie Style……it’s beautiful on every level……
    Have a great day!
    Tania @ Scandi Coast Home

7. Oh the crazing!!! Yummy! What an amazing find!

8. Oh my goodness Jami, those are breathtakingly beautiful dishes!! I never find anything that incredible at our Goodwill!
    Enjoy and have a lovely weekend!!~
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

9. Susan says:

The dishes are beautiful!! I just love your blog!

10. Gorgeousness, Jami! That crazing is just amazing! lol! What an incredible find. Sometimes it’s worth a second look. I just picked up Fifi’s new magazine and am LOVING it! You will too! :)

xoxo laurie

11. Denise says:

Love the dishes. The details on these dishes are so beautiful. Good deal as well. Looking forward to seeing what you will be doing with your farmhouse table.

12. Those dishes are beyond beautiful Jamie! I am so happyYOU found them sitting in that crate~what a steal! Love the farm table too! Nice nice nice!

13. Deanne says:

The dishes are gorgeous, what a great find!

14. Di says:

Wow, what a find!! And oh yes, I love the table, woo hoo, lucky girl. De@cottage-wishes

15. Nancy says:

Oh my. What an awesome find!!!

16. Tracy says:

Holy cow, those are beautiful!

17. Olde Tyme Marketplace says:

YOU HIT IT BIG!!!! I love those dishes. SO glad you found them. Funny how a crate of little ole dishes can make your heart go pitter pat!
    Hugs to you my friend!
    Beth

18. Wonderful find. Enjoy your beautiful new dishes.

19. Lana says:

Love the dishes, what a great find. They will go with everything. Romantic Prairie is one of my favorite books along with Patina Style. I hope Brooke does another book highlighting the construction of Patina Farm.

20. Those dishes are beautiful! My daughters name is Jamie as well different spelling though.One of my favorite names!

I have enjoyed all of those books myself and the new Romantic Prairie Style Magazine fabulous~Cheers Kim

21. Hi Jami,

Oh I LOVE those dishes!!! What awesome finds!!! That crazing gets me all “ga-ga” too! lol BTW, I am the SAME way when it comes to loving styles of all flavors!!! I’m happy to see someone else who gets that too – “vintage chic” so defines it! :) Thanks also for the heads up on the mag – I’ve been waiting for that issue and now that it’s out, I may have to go on a BN run too! :) Enjoy your day!!!

XOXO’s,
    Jessie

22. WOW~~
    These are just fabulous!
    XO
    Kristin

23. kathryn cain says:

you scored! Love the dishes! and I think the true value,is how much you love them…next time you do a dinner and use them, you start their memeories again…if only they could talk.

24. Just beautiful dishes! What a find!