re-purposed baby clothes blanket

Not so long ago,
invited me and several awesome bloggers to participating in a sew-along
that would feature projects from the recently released book,

Finally, we get a book with some adorable little boy patterns!

Stacey is a mama of three little guys and when it comes to anything
sewing and craft and BOY related, she’s on top of it over there…
as her blog name suggests.

{Thank you so much for including me, Stacey!}
This was my first sew-along and I loved it.

I chose to make the Patchwork Blanket for the sew-along,
but instead of using colorful jersey knit squares,

I chose to re-purpose my favorite stash of Grey’s baby outfits.

Re-purposing Grey and Edyn’s baby clothes into blankets
is something I’ve wanted to do forever it seems
(I think I even tried to commission my Aunt!)
and this sew-along finally moved things along.

Sure beats sitting in a box in the attic.

I cut this monogram from tweed coveralls
and added a little tooth fairy and mommy love notes pocket.

This little 16 square blanket pattern was so e.a.s.y. to make;
definitely beginner level if you’re using colorful jersey knit squares.
Re-purposing baby clothes and applique puts you at a beginner slash intermediate level,
depending on your comfort level with an applique or two.
Still, it maybe took 3 hours from start to finish.

I’m sharing more photos
and tips and suggestions for working with this pattern
at Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy! today.
I hope to see you there.
Dont’ forget to check out the other cute projects from the book
that were shared last week.

Have a happy week.

Linking with Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors

1. Katie says:

That blanket is adorable Jami! I love how it is all gray! It looks incredibly comfy too!

2. I LOVE the patchwork!
    It will look so cute in Mr Grey’s new space!

oooooh! I love it! and im totally a beginner when it comes to sewing. :) i need to check out this book!

4. Oh yay! Coming from a mommy of two boys…it’s nice to find things that cater to them! :) That blanket is gorgeous! :) Can’t wait to see more! I still need to learn how to sew… This book might be enough for me to take the plunge! :) Happy Sunday to ya!

5. andrea says:

J- I love your blankie! I have an old cardboard box of my OWN baby clothes that I would love to make into a blankie…if I could only sew! I love the greys and the square lines of your styling! andrea@townandprairie

6. The blanket is adorable, Jami!! it makes me wish I could sew! Keep up the wonderful projects, I love them all!!

7. Thank you all!

Megan & Jessie – Some of the patterns in the book are intermediate & advanced but there are plenty of patterns that are great for beginners. The lowest price I found it online was $14 at Barnes & Noble.

Andrea – How awesome that you still have some of your own baby clothes!

8. SueAnn says:

The blanket is so adorable!!!

9. Mary says:

adorable! what a sweet idea!
    have a wonderful day, Jami!

10. {northern cottage} says:

Beyond darling! I have a stash of kids clothes awaiting enough to make some for my kiddos too. Love love your version!

11. Oh my goodness!!! This is so amazing and absolutely sweet. I MUST do this with my little ones clothing. Thank you for the awesome inspiration!

12. Stephanie says:

Oh my gosh Jami how in the heck did I miss this? It gives me goose bumps, so sweet. You are one awesome seamstress and designer. You have a talent that is for sure!