Repurposed Shirt Slipcover Tutorial

Hi, sweets.

Hope you’re having a lovely weekend!

Tonight, I thought I’d share my shirt slipcover tutorial
for the ruffled cover on the larger white chair in my hallway makeover
that I made for less than a dollar using a white cotton shirt found at a thrift shop.
The first thing I do when I enter a thrift shop is head for the white clothing rack.
I always find the prettiest fabrics (cotton, linen, voile)
with awesome details (ruffles, lace, ruching) that can be repurposed for so many textile projects.
In this case, I turned this ruffled blouse into a slipcover.
So easy and thrifty…

A ruffled slip without having to make the ruffle.

In this instance, I didn’t fuss over my seam.
I kind of like that it’s a little imperfect and rumpled.
Didn’t iron it either.

I like a casual look. Do you?

I did a little window shopping for you
and found some shirts that I think would make darling chair back slipcovers.

Mind you, most are Anthropologie
(I like how they’re displayed and they make my post look pretty.),
but they’ll give you a sense of the styles to look for at a thrift shop.

Source: Anthropologie

Source: Bluefly

Source: JCrew

Source: Unknown

Source: Anthropologie

Source: Anthropologie

I recommend using straight cut, empire waist, or a-line shirts.
You don’t want anything that tapers at the waist too much.

How cute would a mismatched set of white shirt slips be in a dining room?
{LOVE!!! Maybe it’s just me, but LOVE!!!}

The simplicity and look of this slip inspired me to create a line of shabby shirt slips for my shop.
I want to make some with plain white t-shirts too…with a little pretty stitched to them
like linen strips, hearts, pocket, ruffles, typography, etc.
{Let’s just hope what I see in my head is pretty in reality!}

I’m combing thrift shops in a 50-mile radius every Wednesday now,
searching for enough lovely shirts to start a collection.
(So…If you’re cleaning out your closets and have anything like the above,
I’ll happily pay you or make something for you in exchange.)

Would you cover your chair with a shirt?
Thank you for reading.

Linking with a few of my favorite parties…

Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Good Life Wednesday at A Beach Cottage

1. Love, love, love this Jami! Can’t wait to see the collection. I know I keep saying it, but you’re definitely going to be hitting it big here soon!

2. Ellen says:

Love the chair slips! And so easy and cheap!

3. I really love this idea Jami, and it looks so soft and pretty on your chair!
    Hope you have a beautiful night.

4. A very pretty slip! And a great idea to have a pair or set of them too, especially mismatched like you plan.

5. You are so creative, Jamie! I think the slips are darling.

6. Okay, I have 6 dining room chairs that need re-caning but I’d much rather do this! Thanks for the tute!

7. Soooo very PRETTY…love the look!!!

I’m having an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Giveaway…hop over and enter…ends at midnight 8/7.

8. Hola desde España!
    Encontré su blog por casualidad, y desde entonces no pasa un día sin que la visite.
    Siento no escribirla en ingles, mi ingles escrito es pesimo…
    Solo quería decirla que es una gran fuente de inspiración!!
    Me encanta lo que ha hecho con una camisa, no puedo dejar de mirarla.

Quiero que sepa que desde que la visito, mi casa está llena de Lavanda!!

Gracias por su maravilloso blog!

You are so clever, Jami! I love this idea and how sweet your chair slip looks. Not only do you get to have some fun at the thrift stores but you are repurposing the clothing. It’s fabulous!

10. Karen says:

What a good idea jami. Thank you for sharing. I can’t wait to get to the charity shops now to try it out for myself. Have a good week:)

11. sissie says:

Very cute idea. Now I’ll be looking for cute white shirts too.

12. Mel says:

I make Rag Bags from clothing too at Mel’s Cabin Designs 1952…your slip cover idea is darling..I too have made pillows and all sorts of bags from skirts, pants, blouses and overalls…keep sharing!

13. Great idea to buy something with the ruffle already on it, Jami! This turned out so pretty and I love that it’s a bit sheer. I think it looks perfect on your chair just the way it is!

14. andrea says:

Wow! Who would have thought to enter the clothing section looking for that sort of thing! Your slip is perfect for that chair and arrangement. It looks so delicate. Now I see I have to shop deeper at the GoodWill. AND invest in a sewing machine, which I have no self-confidence in but desperately want to learn. Guess I will make the plunge sooner or later and be a self-taught bafoon! Love your blog, I just found it through Faded Plains. You have a beautiful set-up and I see I will have to browse around here and admire some more. I am new to blogging, so I am trying to learn as much as possible. Your work is amazing. Thank you, Andrea @ townandprairie I hope you have time to stop by sometime!!

15. Becky C says:

What a cute idea. I love the way it looks on the chair :)

16. Roseanna says:

Adorable…I am actually just starting the project of slipcovers for my kitchen chairs. This is brilliant!

17. Mona Kay says:

Well, I just love it!! I knew there was a way to use a gorgeous thrift-shop shirt!!

18. What a clever girl you are Jami
    these are absolutely charming !
    Re purposing looking so very lovely,
    thank you for sharing the fun !

19. Stephanie says:

Hey I have a couple of those shirts! Now I know where to send them when I tire of them. Love the Spanish comment. I tried to read it but all I got was “thank you for you magnificent blog”. I will second that!

20. janet says:

Jami,I love it and can’t wait to see your next tutorial..Genius on this one..

21. Mrs. Means @ Vintage Means on Etsy says:

Yes, most definately, this is something I would like and I plan on trying it. So I think you should go for it and make your line of chair slips because folks will want them. What I really love about this project is how endless the looks are that could be created. On a similar note, I saw a post on another blog today where she cut the cuffs off of a button-up shirt and embellished it with fabric flowers and made it into a cuff bracelet. So if you use a shirt that has cuffs you can make bracelets as well as chair slips!

22. Nan says:

SO pretty, Jami! You are one of those people who keeps coming up with things that make me say, “Why didn’t I think of that?!?” Very creative, fun, and easy!

23. Loved the shirt slip for the chair so much I grabbed one of my summer tops and put it over my desk chair, a quickly tied bow with the spaghetti straps and voilà, I’m testing my potential of actually turning this top into design accessory!

24. Anne says:

This is absolutely lovely and smart! I would not have thought of this, and the finished product (in your light-as-air rooms) looks so soft and welcoming. Thanks for sharing! (Visiting from Roadkill Rescue!)

25. Judy Hunter says:

My friend maked small pocketbooks with a strap out of old ties.

Have you seen those?