Vintage Stoneware Crate-scape

Hi, sweets.
Hope you had a lovely weekend.
I did.
It seems my sweet baby Grey is going through a sudden toddler biting stage
so I spent much of the weekend refereeing and trying to quickly break that habit…
which meant two eyes on two toddlers at all times.
Grey is typically a gentle, little peanut
and is just trying to stand his ground against his twin sister, Edyn,
who has a tendency to grab things from him.
At 19 months, he can’t quite say, “Leave it alone, Sista!”
so in frustration, he reverts to a bite.
Thanks for listening to my mommy moment!
Above all else, I’m a mama first.
I was productive while they napped though
and managed to photograph what I’m calling a “crate-scape.”
 You see, my dining room table is currently covered
with 100 drying clay tags & magnets.
I flipped over an antique fruit crate
and started playin’ table.
If you follow me on facebook,
you may have read about my latest GW find…
 A 68-piece set of vintage Pfaltzgraff Heritage Stoneware
came home with me for nineteen dollars and ninety-nine cents.
I’m talkin’ place settings for 8 with plates of every size, bowls of every size, 3 candle stick holders,
tea & coffee pots, salt & pepper shakers,  a gravy boat, 2 platters, a soup toureen,
tea cups & saucers, a cream & sugar set, etc…
all in their simple, warm white glory.
(Pictured with a chicken wire notions jar made by my friend, Erin at Peony Wire Works)
The box tag said $39.99 but I asked if they would take less for it
because I missed yesterday’s weekly 50% off sale on pink ticket items, which this set was.

The manager said, “Sure. How does $19.99 sound?”
“I’ll take them. Thank you so much.”
(All the while, trying to keep my cool & not burst into the “Trololo” song.)
If you’ve never heard the “Trololo” song, click here for a link to the YouTube video!
Warning: I’ve had that song stuck in my head every day for a year.
I edited the saturation in this photo. Personally, I love the softer look.
 I was originally playin’ table with lavender
until my 8-yr.-old returned from Religion
with 3 palm leaves in hand.
I snatched ‘em up and put together a sweet
Palm Sunday setting
by laying the palm leaves in the center
and switching out lavender linens for white…
…a piece of burlap, and my “merci” clay tag.
  I desaturated this photo, too.

I’m not sure if I’m going to keep this set or sell it
(Never mind, I’m definitely keeping it…if not for me, for Edyn. It’s too beautiful to part with.)
but I at least wanted to photograph it
for Tricia’s first Photo Feature Friday party.
There is some beautiful photography going on over there!

BEAUTIFUL! I cant believe youre thinking of not keeping it! ah!

My cousin has 2 biters. Well- recovering biters ;) Let me know if you need some more ideas, and Ill hit her up!

annnnnnddd…. birthday party blog post is up! theflickfour dot blogspot

2. Katie says:

I love the idea of flipping your old crate over! I’ve had an old pepsi crate for months now trying to decide what to do with it! I just flipped it over and I love it! Thanks for the inspiration!

3. Oh Jami, 20 years ago I had this gorgeous set and so loved it. I still have a few pieces of it. It seems that sometimes the glaze causes “scrape marks” on the dishes from silverware. If that happens to you I think you can use the same product that’s used for ceramic cooktops like I have. it will take them off. This is just one of my favorite sets. Not trying to be a downer, just giving you a heads up. Hope you don’t have any issues. Just looking at them is worth the 20 dollars.
    I remember the biting stage…not a fun one!
    xoxo, Debra

4. Gloria says:

Hi, everything is lovely! don´t worry about the twins, mine did the same, it’s a tough period, but so gorgeous (now they are 5 years old, and the eldest, 8) They all love each other so much, but don’t stop fighting…
    as fot the biting, I know someone who bited her son, who stoppped biting! (I wouldn’t try, very drastic!)

5. Olde Tyme Marketplace says:

How dare you have the NERVE to ask GW to take less for an item……AND THEN GET IT!! STINKER STRIKES AGAIN!! Dang it girl!
    (good for you!!*wink*)

Pretty, pretty, pretty! Can I come for tea?

7. What a thrifty find, Jami! Keep it, keep it!

8. The dishes are wonderful…what a great deal, you lucky girl!!

Try not to sweat the biting…soon it will be a distant memory!

9. Your ‘cratescape’ is just lovely. Your dishes are great too and what a steal! I just finished a wreath and used your wonderful rosette tutorial to make the flowers for it – thanks so much.

10. What an awesome find~ Love the “cratescape” it made for some very chic pictures :) I think I am going to have to check out Peony Wire Works… looks like something I may “need” ;)

11. Beautiful images Jami~ what a great deal you got!;) Hugs,Rachel

French Farmhouse 425

12. Oh Jami girl, I feel like a referee all of the time in my house between my 3 year old and my 7 year old, all they do lately is fight!
    On another note, your photos are so beautiful and are so inspirational! I love the lavender against the white porcelain, just lovely!!
    Wishing you a fabulous week my sweet friend.

13. Erin says:

Gorgeous photos, Jami! I love your close-ups showing the details on these everyday “objets d’art.” :) And this post solved a little mystery for me. I have a few dinner plates just like yours that I got at a vintage tag sale. They’re not marked but they appear to have the exact same detailing as your plates. They are HEAVY and simple and beautiful. Lucky you for landing an entire set!

Take care,

14. What a great find and love the photos:)

15. Love your table play, Jami! What a steal on that stoneware! I would have snapped it up in a second at that price. I love white; it’s sooo versatile.

I just joined you as a follower and can’t wait to come back and visit when I have more time.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage

16. A Rosy Note says:

Your photos are so pretty Jami! I wish you could have linked up…there’s always next week though :)

I love your new’ve displayed them so pretty with the burlap, lavender and tags :)

17. Alexis says:

The photos are beautiful and I am incredibly jealous for your delightful find! I feel like I have to go to thrift stores every day in order to find things like this. Good for you!

18. Stephanie says:

What an awesome GW find!!

19. Paula says:

Jami, I had a set similar to that. Now our son has it but I am thinking when he is ready to get rid of it, they will interchange nicely with different patterns of white and different sizes. Yahoo for you, how exciting. Biting is a phase, he will stop when he realizes that it is a big no no. You are doing the best that you can.
    And, guess what, I won the Habitation prize!! I have never won anything! I and just so excited I could cry!! I love your blog and am just so tickled! Thank you Thank you!!!

20. Paula says:

Opps wrong blog, but I was excited any way!! I do follow you and buy your products though!!
    Call me crazy today!!

21. Jami, I am just green with envy……..19.95????? How do you luck up on a deal like that…..I know, you check often and ask for a lower price!! Lol, I am only teasing, I am really happy for you. I would have been doing the happy dance on the counter if I had found that deal !!!! FYI, I finally placed my shoe order for the first granddaughter due in a few weeks,(May 21) hope I didn’t wait too long….!! I’m so exited she’s a girl, can’t wait to see her! Have a great day Jami and take care, VBg

22. What a score! Congrats Mama! Your table settings look amazing, especially with your clay tags. Love. xo Samantha

OH! Those pictures are so beautiful, Jami! I love all the white with the gray background. And what a gorgeous set of dishes! :) I think you have yourself a very nice thrift store there!

I hope you are having a great week! :)

24. Nutbird says:

Ha! You give hope to all Gdub shoppers everywhere. That particular set was my pattern when I got married, (once) in 1969. I guess it has passed the style test of time. If you got the really big soup tureen, that alone is worth $75 to $100. Now will you please get some colored napkins? All white can get a little boring.
    I think you need a naughty chair in your house now. Be firm and it will go away. Ann

25. Youare quite the photographer Jami. I think the cratescapes were inspiring. All the whites with textures…yeah it looks good.

26. Hi!
    When I heard the price my heart did a little pitter patter. I know the feeling of keeping your cool. Good for you for scoring that set. It’s so pretty and I love the display and your photos.

27. julie says:

Sweet deal Jami! That is one beautiful table display. Hope you’re doing well. :)

28. the little things... says:

what a great set! definitely keep!! so jealous of such a good deal!

29. It’s gorgeous!!!!! The price is perfect too, don’t you love asking and they say sure :)
    Happy Easter and thanks for the link party

30. Erin says:

I swear I left a daggone comment..Love these cratescapes!!! I cannot believe you got those dishes for so cheap!! I am jealous fo sho! Thanks for making my creations look so awesome, you are the best Jami!