Vintage Chic Style Series – No. 1

What is Vintage Chic Style…To Me?
Hi, sweets.

A few of you have written and asked
what I mean by “vintage chic”
(up there in my header)…
…so, I’ve decided to create a series of posts
to define vintage chic style and what it means…to me.
(Because we all know, that you can put any formal, design-school label on a style of decor
but it’s your style and what it means to you that truly defines it, right?)
Vintage chic style has evolved from the
nostalgic look of grandma’s house
  and is now infused into several decorating styles…
from coastal chic,
 Source: A Beach Cottage

to cottage chic,
to French farmhouse chic
 Source: Dreamy Whites
with notes of French cottage,

and French Provincial flair,

Source: Miss Mustard Seed

to Funky chic with vintage industrial,

Source: Funky Junk Interiors

to Shabby chic.

Source: Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic

To me, in my home,
vintage chic style = shabby chic without the foof and floral.
(Although, I am Cook-oo for Cocoa Puffs over a new bag that came today,
made with a Rachel Ashwell floral linen. I’ll show you this week.)
I’ll get more into my style as this series unfolds;
this post was intended to be a short and sweet intro.
I’m so happy about this series
(and I hope you are too) for two raisins reasons:
(I seriously wrote “raisins” the first time. ha!)
1. The home projects were put on hold
while I focused on building my Etsy shop
2. I finally get to finish renovating and styling my
   living room, master bedroom, and bathroom
for a cool opportunity in approximately 5 weeks.
Finishing these rooms is no longer optional
and I’m looking forward to visions unfolding and
hanging my lovelies on walls,
instead sitting in piles around the house.

Case in point.

3. I’m feeling inspired.
I love this stuff and I’m itching to grab my paintbrush.
What do you think about this series?

Thanks for reading.
Have a happy week.

1. Thanks sooo much for the adorable little package you sent me today!!!;) I love the tags and the little note!xoxo Rachel

French Farmhouse 425

2. Sounds like a great series! Looking forward to it!

3. I love your idea and am now anxiously awaiting more. By the way, I love all those vintage inspired styles. I think my style is a combo of all of it ;)

4. Miranda says:

It sounds like a great series!! My mother in law was asking me the other day what my style was and I had no idea. It used to be primitive/french country, but I’ve evolved and I seriously don’t know what to call it. I don’t have enough funds to streamline my style anything I can pin down.

I do love your style and can’t wait to see not only your series, but your room reveals :)

5. Paula says:

You stylish gal, you! Gotta say I love the French farmhouse chic photo too …and I love industrial chic when it’s use in great big warehouse conversions and open spaces. Beautiful images and great words :)

6. I think the series is a great idea, especially when words are captured with an image, it defines it more clearly. I can’t say I can pin down my style to anything with less than these 4 words! frenchy~shabby~cottage~chic

7. I think it’s a wonderful idea!!!! I’m looking forward to seing other posts like this one!!!
    Have a great week!

8. I love the idea, Jami! I’m *Oatmeal~Cottage~Chic*

Exciting! I love to see your view of the world.

10. Brenda Kula says:

I think it sounds wonderful, Jami! You have phenomenal ideas, and the creativity to push them forward.

11. Hiya Jami, I love the idea of this ‘series’ :) I have used the term vintage chic when describing my own tastes and style too but I have to say I do love a wee bit of ‘foof and floral’ (I lol’d at that description, it is an excellent one!)

In addition to the styles you have shown above, all of which I love and feel a personal connection to, I also have a fondess for a bit of retro…not the ‘modern, minimalist’ style retro but the polka dots and ice cream pastels sort of retro, along with Cath Kidston ‘foof and floral’ hehehe. YUM!

xx Karen

12. Pam says:

The series sounds like a great idea. I’m beginning to wonder if my style even has a name. Vintage, junk, thrift store finds? Or maybe just tacky?

13. Ooh, sounds interesting. I’m looking forward to the series.

14. This series is perfect timing for me! I finally realized that shabby chic does not mean everything must be pink and adorned with roses! Vintage Chic Style…that’s for me!!

15. Holly says:

You restyle is lovely and gorgeous and fresh. Cannot wait to see this opportunity happening! I need one of those to get me moving on all of my projects! No longer optional is a good motivator. Cannot wait for more on the series!

16. Sounds like a good idea. Perhaps it will help me define my own style wish is a bit of this and a bit of that!

17. Linden Townhouse says:

Fabulous idea! It’s good to embrace the style that is truly ours!

18. Robin says:

I’m looking forward to this series. It will be neat to find out more about how and why you pick one thing over another.

p.s. raisins – - LOL – - love it

19. Becky says:

Awesome! Great Photos. I have decorator ADD I love them all!

20. alison says:

love the idea of a series…can’t wait for all the posts…new follower here too.

stuff and nonsense

21. Mindy says:

I absolutely LOVE this!!! I have been in the process of discovering and pinning down my own style for awhile now, especially since being a newer homeowner. I seriously cannot wait to read every single post! I am drawn to these photographs, and I love them all. I am leaning towards a combo of French Cottage, French provincial, and coastal. I love creamy whites, beige, and grey. I also ADORE light aquas and turquoise/ teal shades. Can’t wait to read more!

22. I love the photo from “a beach cottage.” The white and light brown stripes are so soft and inviting. BTW, thanks for stopping by Beautiful Nest to say hi. I finally managed to put all the laundry away. Wishing you the best of luck with yours. ; )

23. Mindy says:

Thanks for responding to my post! I actually used Restoration Hardware paint for my family room, guest bathroom, and nursery! I used the color Toast for the family room and kitchen area because it is one giant room, and also for the guest bathroom. I have some velvety thick curtains in our livingroom that are very close to the Silver Sage color, and so began my love affair with aquas. For my little boys nursery I used Silver Sage on the top 2/3 of the walls and Toast on the bottom part, separated by a white chair rail molding. I also have Silver Sage crib bedding for him.

24. “Funky chic with vintage industrial…’

Jami, that’s about the nicest thing anyone’s ever deemed my style. I think you finally figured it out! Because I sure couldn’t! :)

Lovely series! I look forward to catching up!