Lavender Paint and Q&A

Hi, sweets.
Happy Monday.
I’ve spent mine painting our only bathroom
the prettiest shade of soft lavender,
which took a little mixing to get right.
Lavender is like gray when trying to find the right shade;
it’s sensitive to light and there are literally 100s of undertones.

Dusty Lu got it right in her bathroom.
 {LOVE} it.
Think she’ll sell me those lavender bottles?
Rachel got it right in her office.
But me?
Took a few tries.
By adding the light gray that’s in my living room
to the original lavender paint (in the first swatch),
I created the barely there lavender with grayish undertones
that I wanted.
I’m going to call it Lavender Laundry
because I think it sounds cute
and well, it was kind of fun to name a color!

Never be afraid to play with your paints
and create your own color.
 (It helps to have a basic understanding of color mixing.)

There’s no rule that says you have to pull a swatch and use that.

I typically use swatches as a base color and tweak them,
which is why I usually give you paint formulas
instead of brand and color names…
I just don’t have ‘em to give ya.
 Anyhow, lavender aside,
I cannot tell you how happy I am
that my visions for this little place
are unfolding before me.
This is the first time I’ve felt that “I love my lil’ home” feeling
since we bought the place.
I could literally smooch my living room
and I’ll hopefully feel that same about my bathroom
when I’m finished.

I’ll post when I can over the next week or so
as I be mama, visit you, fulfill my Etsy shop orders,
work on some new designs for the shop & Wild Rose & Co.
and hustle to finish three rooms for
You’ll get to tour 20 lovely blog homes
(I am completely over the moon to be one of them.)
  April 4-8
so mark those calendars!

Might as well add another chapter.
A few of you asked…

Where did you find your living room planked paneling?
Lowe’s. It’s around $20 for a 4′ x 8′ panel.

What did you use to antique your hutch?
I used a base coat of Ben Moore’s Alaskan Husky.
Then, I rubbed it all over with a rag dipped in a 1:1 mixture of
DecoArt’s Antiquing and Staining Medium and Valspar Asphalt.
I used the same technique as my French Gray Chair.
By the way, as much as I loved that finish, I changed my mind.
The hutch is gray and white.

today is the last day to link up
your tutorial-style projects at the

The March prize package is awesome.
Even if you don’t link, take a peek.
There are 85 amazing projects over there at the moment!

And, if you’ve made it this far,
thank you so much for reading.

I appreciate it.

Welcome, new sweets.

You are a tease! The color looks like laundry lavender to me. What fun. Hoping you have all you need to finish things up. I’m excited for you.

2. Jodi says:

I love the color, I can’t wait to see it! I just love the excitement when it all comes together!

Take care…Jodi

3. Looks like you mixed up a beautiful shade! Can’t wait to see it and the rest of your home during the parade.

4. Artistic. I got so involved reading your blog and looking at the way you spiced up the text that I almost forgot to comment. I sure like your style.
    - Joy

5. Lara says:

Hey Jami! Your lavender laundry paint color is just right! Love it! Great pick! The first :( one looks too Laura Ashley and the second :( one looks too P. Barn Kids’ish.. hee hee! Can’t wait to see the bathroom!Goodnight!

Nice!! A perfect shade and I can’t wait to see the result!!

7. Miranda says:

Oh, I love your color and the name! It is beautiful and I can’t wait to see how the finished product looks.

8. Oh, great name color and good idea to mix! I’ve been eying grays lately….trying to find the perfectly light shade that doesn’t look too lavender or beigey. What gray did you use in your living room? Thanks!

9. **Anne** says:

Fantastic that you mixed a colour you love. We have done that many times, well hubby has, just for me. He does the painting too. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your bathroom reveal.
    Anne xx

10. I think you definitely found the perfect shade, Jami! I can’t wait to see the finished project!

11. Erin says:

I laughed when you told about the hutch colors and then said, by the way it’s now gray and white! Oh too funny! I am glad you posted this, because I decided you are right, I need to go over that lamp with blue, but I am going to use a different blue…and then use the above mentioned antiquing medium. So thanks for yesterday, and today(I am reading it today!). Too, I love that Lavender Laundry, it is perfect!!!

12. Oh Jami, I think you nailed it! I love the color you mixed up for the bathroom.

13. Roberta says:

Cute name and so pretty! I used MS Phlox in my bedroom and love it with fresh whites everywhere!

14. Hi sweet girl,
    I can not wait to see your living room and bath. Love the name of your paint color!! I have so missed talking with you and look forward to reading all of the posts I’ve missed.
    I hope your well and have a great day!

15. I LOVE your Lavender Laundry color!!;) I think I LOVE it more than my office color to be honest!;) Wonder if my husband will add some grey??? lol.. Thanks for showing my office paint are too sweet and complimentary my friend!! Hugs,Rachel

French Farmhouse 425

Im so happy to hear you are loving your home! And YAY for loving a color! its so difficult to find JUST the right one…

17. OneCraftyFox says:

Completely agree with you!! And you picked the perfect shade ;)

Your color is beautiful, Jami! Really soft, delicate and romantic. I hope you show us photos of your finished bathroom. Lavender laundry…..a perfect name!

19. I am seriously impressed by the color combination!

20. Stephanie says:

Love the paint color name! Oh and the paint color is divine. Busy girl you are.

21. Congrats on being in the home tour. I look forward to seeing your home and others.
    Have fun this week in your busyness.
    ~ Julie

22. Jami,

I’m LOVING that color! I have a similar color in our apartment–I thought it was more gray in the swatches, but the hint of lavender softens it to just the right color. Can’t wait to see it all come together!

23. Becky says:

You have been a busy little bee…love the color! can’t wait to see your house on the house tour.

24. Paula says:

Yep, ‘lavender laundry’ is the shade everyone should be talking about – fab :)

25. Lavender Laundry! LOVE IT! That color looks absolutely perfect!
    I need to start mixing paint colors !
    Have a pretty day!

26. Haley says:

What pretty colors, we did our bathroom in very light teal and it turned out so light and fresh!