faded aqua

Hi, sweets.
It seems I’ve landed myself
smack dab in the middle
of a decorating pickle.
I love two colors so dearly
(Lavender & Faded Aqua)
but cannot use both in my living room.
Well, I can.
But, I can’t.
I consider myself to be on the shabby side
without the chic.
(Shabby laundry?)
That means the graceful mixture
of florals and pastels in one room is definitely out
…in my home.
Not sayin’ I don’t love looking at in other spaces though.
I’m in {love} with a Benjamin Moore
color called “Alaskan Huskey (1479)
that I came across at Cappuccino Cottage
when my friend, Deb shared this image that she found…
 Source: Country Living
 It was love. at. first. sight.
So, I ran out and bought a quart,
thinking that I could carry this peaceful color
throughout my home to unify everything.
(I live in a tiny ranch so everything has to flow in the main rooms.)
I thought I’d accent with it in the front room,
paint the {eventual} bead board with it in the family room, etc.
if you read Monday’s post,
I told that I painted my hutch with it
and didn’t like it so much
(and I was having the usual color commitment issues).
I decided to antique it.
It is heavenly.
I had already started painting it white
before I decided to try the antiqued finish.
And another for good measure.
(You know. Just in case my words obstructed your view.)
Antiquing this piece added the shabby, weathered touch
that it needed and brought the color to life.
These pictures do it no justice but I promise I’ll get some good ones if I decided to proceed.
the stars aligned while out shopping yesterday.
Apparently JoAnn Fabrics is now carrying
a new line of fabric
(American? Americana? Something like that.)
and this beautiful bolt of the softest cotton fabric
in the SAME color
caught the corner of my eye as I was headed toward
upholstery cording.
Of course, I grabbed a couple of yards…just in case.
Then, moments later while making my rounds at Goodwill,
I spotted this vintage bowl & lidded dish in the SAME color
for $2.50 and they came home with me, too.
Is it meant to be, I ask?
The handle was broken and repaired at one point
and the glue has started to yellow
but that’s the beauty of shabby.
Shabby does not necessarily mean lots of white.
White simply provides a simple, blank canvas that enhances your imperfect, shabby treasures.
 In case you’re wondering,
these dishes were made in the USA by Ballerina Union circa 1950.
The color is Mist.
 Despite all of that lovely faded aqua,
lavender has stolen my heart this year, too.
It all started when I bought this pretty, lil’ lavender bottle
from Maria at Dreamy Whites
And then,
I found some beautiful, faded lavender linens for $10
from Miss Mustard Seed’s booth at Wild Rose & Co.
And, wouldn’t you know,
as surely as I’m writing this post,
I just made the decision to go with the faded aqua

I’ll use the lavender in my bedroom.
Another beauty of blogging.

How do you find your way through difficult color decisions?

Do you prefer lavender or faded aqua?

Thanks for reading.

I’m sharing this post at
(Debra’s button coordinates so nicely with this post, too.)

I vote for aqua…but that’s my favorite color at the moment. The lavender is lovely too…and with as muted as you prefer your color, either will work. I’m afraid I’m not much help!

2. Gorgeous and more gorgeous. I must not be shopping at the best GoodWills i never find anything like that.
    Lavender is my FAVORITE color. I have a pop of it above a door in my living room in a wreath.

3. I love, love love both colors…so I’m no help. I really think that you can put them side by side…they look wonderful together. And, you are inspiring me to run out and get a paint sample of Alaskan husky (my siberian husky is not so sure).

4. LOVE your piece you painted and your darling vintage Goodwill dish!;) Wish we lived closer so we could thriftshop together~ We just painted our home office a pale lavender and it is so pretty(post to follow) ;)~ I think Lavender is better for a smaller space like a bedroom,I would go with the very light faded aqua for a larger space like a living room~Im sure whatever you decide will be beautiful Jami! HUGS, Rachel

French Farmhouse 425

5. Kaitlin says:

I was a Tom boy growing up and I still fight pink so I might be a little skewed but I’m voting heavily on the faded aqua side!!!! I would add more exclamation points but I think you get my hint without me being annoying :)

6. To me aqua has a lot more staying power than lavender. I can see myself tiring of lavender very quickly. But it’s going to beautiful.

I can’t believe how much lighter Alaskan Husky looks in your space than it does in mine where we painted all the paneling in our living room/hallway with it.

7. This is such a home hitting post for me, because I love both of those colors! I recently became head over heels in love with aqua and love how it looks with white, pink or grey. I have long collected amethyst glass and purple transferware and had a lilac bedroom growing up…but try as I may, I can never seem to find a pale purple color that I adore on a wall. This color is a dominate one too. It doesn’t mix nicely with other colors like aqua does, lavender wants to be the only color, and that is why I give my vote to aqua!

8. I love them both, but I think I agree that I’d go with the aqua and leave the lavender for a smaller area because, while it can act as a neutral in the right shade, I don’t think it likes to play with other colors as well as the aqua does.

Happy decorating,

9. I am a big fan of aqua, I plan to use it in my family room. I can see why you love the lavender and I think it will look excellent in your bedroom. If both colors are pale, they should blend well.

I wanted to mention how nice your hutch is looking and I love your finds. The fabric is wonderful!!

10. The Hutch looks lovely. I’m loving that Alaskin Huskey color, with the antiqueing. What a lovely GW find, I luv crazing and the color is nice too. Can’t wait to see what your decide.

11. I am loving on the faded aqua….I am going to add touches of it in my “new” kitchen. I love the subtle pop of color.
    The lavender is gorgeous too. But I would reserve it to a small office or a bathroom (have you seen Lu’s (Dusty Lu) bathroom that she did in lavender? OMG….)
    Besides, all those aqua finds – yep, it was a sign from the Thrifting Gods :)

ps – LOVE LOVE the “oopsie” finish on the hutch!!

12. I am living with aqua in the bedroom in the bedding, a lovely painting, reflected in mirrors. I find it peaceful. Your photos are so detailed and have such great texture.
    - Joy

13. Roseanna says:

I like your decision of aqua for the living area and lavender in the bedroom.
    Even muted, the lavender may come off more feminine than you want in the living area. My new favorite color is antique purple (Martha Stewart)…really a gray, I am searching for a table to paint. My daughter is thinking about it for her daughters’ room. With griegey off white furniture, it will be sophisticated and last a while.

14. stefanie says:

oh, that is a HARD decision…eekkk I don’t know they are both too gorgeous!

15. Roberta says:

Oh, I can sooo relate. Painted my bedroom MS Phlox, with white trim, it’s perfect. Love it!
    In the dining room, painted 3/4 way up a very pale aqua. The rest is white with gray accents. You CAN have it all! Go for it! xo

16. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It is all so beautiful isn’t it! I am on an aqua kick right now myself, so that is my vote!!!
    Have a pretty day!

17. i love it! a sereen place for your family to land in the living room…. ahhh faded aqua! and…a romantic & restful lavender place for you and mr laundry to land (after a long day working and parenting)…in the bedroom…Jami…*Lynne*
    {with love}

18. AIR KISS says:

Wow Jami – your antiqued paint job on this hutch is absolutely beautiful! I have been reading through your French Grey paint tutorials and I am SO inspired by you! :) I am going to have to try out that Sherwinn Williams grey paint formula – I love it! Such a calming atmosphere you have here.. love visiting!

19. What are you using to antique it? Whatever it is it looks great! The color is beautiful. And I always love aqua :)

20. Go with both colors and have twice the joy! They are both soft enough that they do not compete with each other. They are both gorgeous!

21. Love the aqua, Jami! You could do the lavender in the bedroom or bathroom. I love what you’ve done with the hutch…way to save your hard work.

22. Brenda Kula says:

Oh, I don’t know! Both colors sound so wonderful. I usually just go hog wild with color and not make many “decisions!”

23. To be completely of no help whatsoever, I like them both!!

24. Oh, both are lovely, but since I love white combined with lavender (my grandma’a favourite color) I think that’s it for me. Love the antique look, I need to get started with my unfinished paint jobs too, sigh…
    Maureen x

im with ya- aqua in the living room- the antiqued aqua on the hutch is AMAZING.

lavender in the bedroom :)

26. Judy says:

I totally vote for the faded aqua. You can’t go wrong with that.

27. Perfectly pretty palette.

I seem to remember that you once had a wedding post on your blog.??? If so you should link up today as there are prizes to be won. :)

28. Jodi says:

I love them both too, but I think the aqua in your living room and the lavender would be beautiful in a bedroom! Your hutch is beautiful, so shabby; I love it; and you found some great finds while out shopping!

29. Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack says:

The old color dilemma or pickle :) I like both of the colors that you’ve suggested, too. My vote would be for a light aqua. The hutch is looking really good! Great idea to go with the antiquing glaze! Looking forward to what you decide!

30. gail@myrepurposedlife.net says:

your hutch is going to be gorgeous, no matter what you do. The lavender is so faint. :) I’m generally a blue person… but the faded aqua or lavender? Tough call!
    I love that vignette with the lavender bottle!

31. Jami, I vote for aqua too! I believe finding the fabric and tureen in the same color was fate. I like what I see so far of the armoire and color.

I hope you will join my new party starting 3/17.

32. michelle says:

That is a hard choice! I love aqua for my home but I love to wear lavender! I know that is no help but I am so loving the color of your hutch and the antiquing you did to it, beautiful!! If you went out and found all those wonderful treasures I would say go with the aqua!
    I think I might have to take a little trip to JoAnns!! :)

33. I’m goin’ aqua right now but also lovin’ the lavender! My cousin just started collecting lavender colored bottles.
    You write such cute posts, love your sense of humor! ;-)

34. Stephanie says:

Jami, first of all thank you so much for the tags! I love them. That was sweet of you to send the baby one, can’t wait to use it! As far as your hutch piece, I love the aqua, it has more depth with the glaze rather than the white. I also love the lavender with the aqua, look at that last picture with the lavender napkins, the vase has some aqua at the bottom and it just flows so nicely. You can just do subtle hints of lavender in your accessories, I think it will really give it a soft shabby look that you love. That way you can have the best of both worlds! Can’t wait to see it finished. Do what you love, and make it your own, that is what it is all about.

35. Mary Lemon says:

I am crazy about both colors and lavender used to be my number one but now aqua has taken the number 1 spot. I do like the two together in small doses but I think the aqua for main living areas and lavender in the bedroom is beautiful. I always like the look of antiquing and have done that for years. Or even dry brushing which so quick and easy to do. Can’t wait to see the results!

36. NO help from me either, love both colors ♥ I am all for pink, but that;s me lol. Lavender is my second fave color and esp. this muted is so pretty….goes with everything….the new white??

Hugs from Marian

37. Jan says:

Oh definitely aqua. I have always loved it and still do.
    Valspar has a beautiful pale aqua called River Mist #5003-9A. I am thinking about using some of this color in my house. I got a free sample from Valspar on their website giveaway. Good luck on choosing your color.

38. Anji Johnston says:

Can you imagine how I feel? I work as a color consultant for Benjamin Moore and spend day after day helping people choose color for their homes. My house has seen so many color changes my poor husband never knows what he is coming home to!!! So my advice is: go with what your heart is telling you and commit. After all – it’s only paint! And good luck whatever your choice (they are both beautiful btw)!

39. Love those two colors and would use them together!

40. Becky says:

GO Aqua!!! I love how aqua can go with so many other colors.

41. Minky {moo} says:

42. Sarah at myyellowhouse says:

I love the cabinet and the finish you’ve done on it!!! I would definately stay with the aqua -an antiqued aqua – and maybe you could put a few of your lavender things in the cabinet. That way you have a little of it in the room and it would tie in with more lavender that you put in your bedroom. I can’t wait to see what you do…you have some gorgeous things to work with. and you always pull off beautiful changes! :)

43. Olive Cooper says:

I have 49 pieces of Ballerina Mist I bought at an estate sale for 25 dollars and I love it. The tea cups have that little “o” for the handle.

44. I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to choosing colors. It’s hard! I have never liked blue, but have recently fallen in love with aqua. I want to use it in my family room, but am scared I’ll grow tired of it. I also love green. Can I use both in the room? I’m collecting photos and getting ideas. We’ll see! I recently added lavender accents to my master bath and I love it! I am so happy everytime I’m in there now. I can’t wait to see your cabinet make-over. I know it’s going to be stunning!

45. vikki says:

I have the same color commitment problem. But I am in favor of the lavender. I love purple and all shades there of. Love what you have done.

46. Hi jami, Thank you for stopping by and letting me know about the Show off your workspace party. I will be joining the party and I have looked at some of the other workespaces “so beautiful”. Your choice of color is perfect. I would have chosen the faded aqua too. But I do have color commitment issues or maybe I am just indecisive.

47. I love both colors. I don’t know how you choose between them, but maybe I’m a little more partial towards aqua. I’m sure which ever you choose will look absolutely lovely.

48. Lisa says:

I really love the antiquing on the hutch and think it would look good on the bead board. And it looks like that color would go well with the lavender. But I’m not sure about aqua in the living room. I guess it would depend on the actual colors of each. Sorry, I’m no help either. That’s why I never paint!

49. Just found your blog via Common Ground and I love it! You’ve made a great case for both colors…love them both!

50. Emily says:

I have a soft spot in my heart lately for aqua. It can be so pretty, especially when it’s distressed just right. I may have to go paint something now!

51. Deb says:

Hey Jami…love the faded aqua…plus it looks great with grey too! Can’t wait to see it all finished! Thanks for the mention too! ~Deb~

52. mybelleepoque says:

Gorgeous! I love both of those colors… I am particularly fond of lavender. Spring break is next week and I am going to try your tutorial for the faux zinc painting on an old night stand for my son’s room. So excited ( hopefully I do it right!) Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas!

53. Sherry says:

Oh, I love everything you have shown. It is the perfect lavender-gray mix. Just drop-dead gorgeous! I don’t know why a pop of aqua for the summer would hurt. Thanks for linking up!

54. Garagedealz says:

Ok so on the hutch, what did you use to antique it? I think it looks great! What did you use “over white” & “over Alaskan Husky”? I love that new color!

55. The aqua is pretty, but I’m a lavender girl. I have lavenders, purples, pinks and greens in my bedroom and bathroom. (Ideally I’d like the pinks and purples in two different rooms, but that’s what I’ve got to work with right now.) It’s mixed with a lot of white.