Handmade Clay Tags & I’m Inspired

Hi, sweets.

I just wanted to share
what I’ve been making.
{Picture mad scientist in his lab with boisterous laughter when he made something that he liked.}

But these were seriously enjoyable to design and create.
 {Let’s just ignore the wrinkles for now.}
I’ll be photographing them for my Etsy shop
and will share those photos sans wrinkles when I do.
I couldn’t resist adding a little “laundry” to them.
Some were made using hand stamped Osnaburg…
I rolled some with denim…
…and some with vintage French lace.

I made these for Miss Mustard Seed’s booth
(Marian, if you’re reading, thank you again from the bottom of my heart.)
  but will be adding them to my Etsy shop, too.
If you’re interested before I put them in my shop, just email me.
They are $3 each or 4 for $10.
The Osnaburg & double peek-a-boo hearts are $4 or 3 for $10.
I am also working on a French “Lavande” (Lavender) tag
and will share that this week.
I know many of you read my blog
{thank you!}
for DIY home projects, etc.
and believe me,
that is still very much on my list.

in order to keep the lights on around here (literally),
I must seize the opportunities that I am given
and have needed to spend some time
making things for Wild Rose & Co. and my Etsy shop
(and a local antique shop that I’m hoping will love my things).

I’ll be sharing my Valentine’s mantel with you this week
while I wrap up some other things for the shops and the DIY Club,
while loving on & chasing baby Orangutans the twins.
After that,
a Wizard of Oz style whirlwind of
home remodeling projects will begin {or end}.

One of them includes
refinished my vintage desk & hutch.
Remember this?
I cannot paint something unless I’m inspired.

I have looked at this beautiful piece of furniture
in my space for a month
and have considered every finish from
distressed white, to lavender, to blue-greeny-gray, red, etc.

And then,
I saw this.

{cue singing angels}
Source: Shakadoo
I. am. in. love.
The finish on that bed encompasses
all that is perfect {in my world}.

It’s like zinc meets mirror finish meets white meets gray.

I don’t have a bed like that to refinish
so my desk & hutch are getting
{I don’t even know what to call it}.
I am on a serious mission to recreate that finish.
(Unless you know someone that already has and kindly point me in that direction!)

What do you think?
Love it?

Have a happy week
and thank you for reading!

1. Can’t wait! Love all of your creations, large and small.

2. ann says:

jami, i think the bed is gorgeous and look forward to seeing how it translates to a desk/hutch :)

3. those are adorable, jami! i love the burlap ones- so cute!

4. those are adorable, jami! i love the burlap ones- so cute!

5. Alexis says:

Oh my, those tags are fabulous!

6. Karena says:

Oh Jami this is exciting and I am so proud of all you have accomplished!!

Art by Karena

7. I LOVE your tags. I am very interested in buying some. Do you post to Spain? I will e.mail you :-)

Have you popped over to enter our competition to win some gorgeous Amethyst earrings from our boutique?

8. Not sure how off my screen is, but it looks to me to be a simple sprayed silver lacquer finish… no distressing, no mirrors, no antiquing, no multiple colors. I would also say they used a white basecoat. You could get the same result by spraying a few coats of one of Modern Masters lighter silvers from the latex metallic line.

L.O.V.E. the tags, Jami dear. What fun! Not in love with the finish on the bed, but knowing you, you will come up with something clever and it will turn out fabulous as always.

10. Stephanie says:

I so want 4 of those tags! I can’t wait until you get them in your etsy shop. Love them. They would look so cool around milky vintage bottles. That picture I think comes from brocadehome.com You can look at their site for more close up pictures of the finish. You asked, so I am putting my two cents in, I don’t think that you will like the finish when you are done, it just doesn’t ring your style when I look at it.

11. I LOVE your tags, Jami!! They remind me of the ones that my dear blogger friend, Laurie, made and sent to me. Yours have your own beautiful take on it, of course, which I LOVE! So glad you’re adding them to your Etsy shop… I’ll have to add them to my favorites. ;-)
    Oh yeah… we’re still going halfers on that awesome rack (which I can’t afford either)… lol! I haven’t seen the lavender set yet, so I’m gonna have to go check that out.
    You have a great weekend, too, sweet friend!

12. p.s. oh… and that finish should look great on your cabinet. Can’t wait to see it! :)

Ah, you just have to love clay tags! Yours are sweet as!!

14. Jami your clay tags are just stunning, I may even have to try making some (that is ok I guess as I live too far away to buy yours ;)

Good on you for getting your beautiful creations stocked in stores, and absolutely you need to focus on that…that is where the $$$ come from!

I am taking a major leap (for me!) and renting a stall at a school fair in two weeks time…I am so nervous about it but know I just need to be brave and do it! I don’t mind putting myself out there in blogland but in the real world, kind of scary!

xx Karen

15. Kays Kids says:

I love your tags, but most of all I looooove that bed. Now I’m wondering how can you produce that look on the desk.Let us know when you have had a go.

16. Clara says:

What wrinkles! Those tags are just perfect. Very nice.

17. Vintage Gal says:

I absolutely adore those tags ~ Can’t wait to see the desk and hutch finished. ;-)

18. That mirror is to die for! Lovely inspiration for sure… your tags are so cute too and go for it with the desk!

19. Love you tags Jami, they are so cool. I like the waxed twine you used or whatever it is…nice pairing.
    The finish on the bed looked like silver spray paint when I first saw it, but the pic isn’t that close for me to see if it is more than that. I wonder if it will be too glitzy and hollywood for a cabinet in the main living space. However you seem to know what the heck you are doing…so if it feels right, then jump right in!

20. Polly says:

Cute tags!

That bedroom is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!

21. I love the sweet
    I can’t wait to see
    what you do with the
    desk ~ it is wayyyy

22. Love your furniture redos, love your craft projects….but mostly I love reading your blog because I like *you*!!

You could probably talk about putting your garbage out and I’d still read it!!!

23. Jami I love the tags, I will stop on by your Etsy shop my fellow Vintage Market-er.
    You definitely should ride the wave your on and let things happen organically (I find that’s the least stressful way :))

24. Love the tags! Especially the burlap ones.

25. Aaron says:

LOVE those tags. I’m especially smitten with the stamped Osenburg ones. You know I have a thing for Osenburg! I love seeing all of your creations. I’m sure Wild Rose with love your creations also.

26. your tags are fabulous, love them all!!!

27. mitchiesmom says:

Your tags are soooo sweet!! I am in love with the ones with burlap in them – my latest must have is anything with burlap!! I will stop by your shop soon!!! The hutch remake will be awesome – you will make it so special!! I of course, would want burlap backing inside the whole thing to use as an idea board – boardering it with the zinc look would make it super special inside!! Just my 2 cents!!

28. Absolutely gorgeous, love you blog and your style! New follower!

29. i love those tags!
    i can’t wait to see the desk when you’ve finished it. it will be beautiful!

30. Diann says:

Those tags came out adorable!

31. I love your clay tags! They are wonderful. I attempted to make some at the holiday time. I love your Valentines’ version so much better! (of course) xo Samantha

32. Linden Townhouse says:

Your tags are so sweet! I hope you get to sell them all over the place. I don’t know about the bed! It’s bold! I love your cabinet so much. Would this overpower those beautiful lines?

33. ~*~*You never cease to amaze me girl!!!!;) LOVE the tags!!Hugs,Rachel~*~**~

French Farmhouse 425

34. SHERRY HART says:

Love the tags…check
    Love the desk/hutch….check
    Love the finish…..check
    As far as I can…your good here!

35. Burlap Luxe says:

Jami, Lady “J”
    I so get you! in all that you envision for the desk.

Your visit to my vision for the chest is what it spoke and really it is not done I plan to shadow it with a foggy gray in cracks and the seams of the piece much like antiquing it yet gingerly so not to look planed.

NOW!!! for your piece never over think a piece by overly looking at it with a plan…Let the PIECE! tell you what it wants to be and not the other way around. I never look at a picture due to a disapointment in it not paying off in the end as to trying to get the look.

I also look a piece and see what it wants to be right off the batt. Like not painting it because thats what the demand is. I also love seeing pieces that tell a story and your piece will have a big one to tell when it is finished. Think like your the piece with history and a story and reproduce it in a fashion that it is what it is.

If it is to be Zinc then let the metal piece be what it is. This is wood and to faux a zinc on it would maybe not have as good of a told story. So perhaps a charcoal gray paint still in keeping with a zinc look but a paint with history look!

I so am seeing this piece in so many lights of it all. Hand painted tone on tone art work on the doors that invite a closer look into the piece would really charm it.

MS. “J” most of all their are no MISTAKES in euro chicness, go for it sometimes our biggest mistakes become our best out-comes!!

I am going to hold my breath to see this piece with new life that your breathed into it. Take your vision and run with it :)

Thank you for your best words left in comment for my piece that will forever evolve.
    Stay inspired and let this piece talk to you!

36. Burlap Luxe says:

Ooooop’S LOL!!! I think I wrote you a post not a comment above this one :)
    Sorry! :) still “laughing-out-loud”

37. Erin says:

LOOOOOOOVE those clay tags!!!

38. Well, leave it to you, Jami, to create such beautiful clay tags. lol! Love them! You are a true artist, you know that? Love the way your mind works. :) That bed looks like something fit for a king or queen for sure…..you go, girl! Knowing you, your cabinet will look better!

xoxo laurie

39. Nutbird says:

Well, if anyone can figure out how to duplicate that finish, it would be you. You might make the list of five best projects of 2011! Don’t worry about us, we have lots of blogs to read (actually, too many). Ann

I LOVE your clay tags, Jami. You are a busy gal these days. Happy Monday to you!

41. Absolutely CANNOT wait to see the hutch and desk reveal. And those clay tags…I have GOT to order some. they’re so sweet and delicate looking!
    Thanks for all the inspiration and encouragement you give to us all!
    -Emiy @ Crisp

42. Tiffini says:

girl..you go! stopped by for a visit…we are in a blizzard so I have plenty of time.
    Thought of you and clay tags? Just to cool!
    praying all well!

43. terrid614 says:

i love the tags! they are so adorable…..and i LOVE the color you are going to do the hutch in…..(i could hear the angels singing!!)…..it will be beautiful i am quite sure! good luck with all of your sales! i am sure you will sell a ton of these tags! xo

44. toni says:

You are a creative Goddess.

45. Jayne says:

I stumbled across you on Google and was intrigued when I saw the bits of “French” and as we live in France and have set up business making natural products and running a plant nursery. I love your products and your site. Will be checking out your FB page too! :-)

46. This comment has been removed by the author.