A coat of gray paint, some curtains, and…stuff.

I’ve been buzzing around
the house of laundry
in my spare moments
getting a few things done.

I finished painting the window
in the front living room {white}
and it’s wall {light gray}.
It’s the prettiest shade of true light gray
and I can’t wait to reveal
the entire room soon.

That ONE room has been slow to finish
for this reason and that.
I happened upon two
Pottery Barn Voile drapes
in a box in my basement
and decided to use them in this room.
I am just lovin’ the white against gray.

Before we continue…
I am not opposed to taking pictures of ENTIRE windows.
However, I need to flip through the ol’ camera manual
to figure out how to take such a picture
without capturing a bright, blinding window and a dark surrounding.
The whole window photos just wouldn’t turn out.
I even tried shooting from the side.

Too much light a comin’ through that baby.
I adore the casual, shabby chic-ish tie tops
and the airy feel that
translucent voile brings to a space.
(You’ll need to trust me on this for the reason mentioned above!)
For the past year,
I’ve had nothing on my windows
because I couldn’t decide what I wanted.

They are hanging from a
Pottery Barn Standard Drape Rod
in Pewter found here.

Despite not having curtains up for over a year,
the rods have been there all along…
naked and alone.
{Clearly, I need sleep.}
I also had two of these
Pottery Barn Pewter Holdbacks
(purchased about 3 years ago)
on either side of the window.
Won’t be usin’ them for my curtains
so I repurposed them as hanging hooks
beside the front door.
By the way,
I am SO over lugging around a diaper bag.
I found these cute, little backpacks
They are so tiny & perfectly sized for 15-month-olds
yet big enough to hold diapers, drinks, a few small toys, and such.
Santa was too cheap to pay for monogramming.

I’ll be tackling some painting,
damask stenciling, and styling
in another {tiny} area of the house.
As a resident blogger,
I’ll be sharing the full tutorial
this week over at The DIY Club
but I’ll let you know about it over here!
I also need to begin working
on a small inventory of
couture bird seed/suet cakes,
lavender letters,
clay tags,
and blackboard table cloths and runners.
  More on that later.

Thanks for stopping by this bee hive!
Welcome new friends.

1. julie says:

hey jami! happy new year! i cant wait to see the whole room! i just picked up a wonderful, soft grey paint! i cant decide if i want to paint my new kitchen table or even my kitchen cabs with it! i love it! and as you can see i am terrible at making decisions too! let us know if you figure out how to take that perfect pix! that is what is keeping me from posting pix of my home! its either too dark or too bright! ugh! cant wait to see what your up too! xo

2. Everything looks simply lovely, especially the window treatment! *dons good villian costume and says:* “Curtains, voiled again!” LOL!

3. Hi Jami~ Love how you repurposed those into hooks for the backpacks!;) You clever girl!! Cant wait to see more of your projects too! Hugs,Rachel

French Farmhouse 425

4. Absolutely love the gray walls and billowy white curtains, magical to me!

Ooooh, I love the gray!! And the white against it looks just beautiful, light and airy – as you said!!

Can’t wait for the reveal!!!

this whole post is adorable… but my fave part is the drape holdbacks for hanging backpacks!!!! I *need* that. the dumb command hooks I tried just dont hold a pack of wipes and a bunch of diapers. (my little one HAD TO HAVE a “pack-pack” when his brother got one for school. which is awesome- because its a FAR better diaper bag than what I was using)

7. I love the drapes!!! Simple is so great because it can go with almost everything!
    I love the pewter drape rods too!

Those curtains are beautiful. I love the simplicity of them with the pretty pleats. I bet those do look gorgeous agains your soft gray walls. They look like they hang nicely! I’m excited to see your damak stenciling! I am a sucker for damask and have been wating to try stenciling. Adorable little backpacks! I’ve never seen them so small. You are a busy lady these days!

9. Miranda says:

LOVE the curtains and the beautiful gray wall. I can’t wait to see the completed window once you figure out the lighting :) I would love to walk through your home in person, it just seems lovely :)

10. Tami / Maddie Lumpkin says:

Jami,I love the tuxedo pleats on the curtains! The backpack hooks are a great idea. I never would have thought of that.Sounds like you’ve been busy. Can’t wait to see the end results.

11. Hey lovely Jami,

What a great idea to use the tiebacks as li’l hooks. They look gorgeous. I feel I have one shoulder lower than the other now from carrying my nappy bag from when my twins were little. Hooray to no nappies!!

The voiles look gorgeous and so does the wall. Can’t wait to see the room in all its full glory!

12. Destiny says:

Looks like you’re going to be VERY busy this week! I love that shade of gray on the wall…you have to tell us what you used! We just painted our bathroom gray and had a hard time finding one that didn’t have a hint of blue to it. Can’t wait to see the entire window finished : ) ~Destiny

13. Love the white gray combo. Very crisp and clean. My, my, you are busy…putting me to shame.

14. Deb says:

Oh Jami…I just love your shabby chic-ish tie tops drapes…and that wonderful pale shade of grey…beautiful! ~Deb~

15. Vintage Gal says:

Love the white and grey ~ especially the window treatment. So romatic.
    Love it!

16. Tiffini says:

Love the gray and white too! so clean and calming I think…LOVE the backpacks..they are adorable and the hook idea…Jami..your great:)

17. Loving that window Jami! You are on fire, so keep going!!!! Sounds busy, but productive and BEAUTIFUL, can’t wait to see what you are going to show us!

18. Beautiful! Grey and white is such a smoooshy combination (that’s the sounds I think best describes it, I know, I’m a little crazy). We just got our daughter a backpack for the same reason! Now, if I can only get her to wear it I’d be set.

19. Everything is looking so pretty! I adore the white curtains against the pale gray wall. I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of the room!!
    Thank you so much for putting me on your blogroll!! I am honored to be on the blogroll of such a talented lady!

20. michelle says:

I love the white and gray as well, so fresh and clean! I can’t wait to see the room and all your other projects that you have going! You are one busy lady!!

21. Always in love with your style. I can’t wait to see the room!

22. Annie Louise says:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, beautiful!!
    Love the white and gray together!Can’t wait to see more. Love your blog updates.
    Take care,

23. I have done that whole curtain~less thing, which drove my husband crazy. They are too expensive to make a mistake! I will probably keep the ones I have until I paint the room. I love what you have put up…how nice that you already had them! And I love your paint color. I can’t wait to see the whole room. Let us know what you manual says about shooting the window…I never thought how difficult that would be.

24. Olde Tyme Marketplace says:

Ohh la la voile curtains! Fancy schmancy! I love how they look!
    I am looking forward to the tutorial on how to take a picture if a window with a ton of light coming thru…*hint*hint*!!
    Have a great day!

25. gail@myrepurposedlife.net says:

sooo busy! The curtains look so nice against the gray!
    can’t wait to see what you’re up to next, here and at the diy club!

Purty curtains! I have been wanting to try some damask stenciling…but stencils are expensive! Can’t wait to see what you do. :)

Hi Jami! I love the white curtains against the gray wall! It is SO pretty, and those curtains are beautiful. :) I also love those adorable mini back packs…they looks so sweet and precious hanging there!

I am so excited to see all that you are working on! It is always so inspiring. :)

I hope you have a good night!

28. So pretty Jami. What color gray is that? We’re going to be painting our kitchen soon, and I’ve been thinking of a light gray too. I have a little something planned for your Friday party too.

29. Hi Jami, What color is the room? We need to know! Curtains are pretty, I like the voile look with grey myself. How to take the pic when you focus on the window is to look for the jagged arrow button on your camera. Mine is right on top. Press that button and you should have 3 options, one of which will never use the flash, one which does, and one which will always use the flash, which is the one you want to use when you are taking pics into the light. Hope that helps.

30. SHERRY HART says:

Thanks for those great photo tips Jami!!! And…I love that gray so I saved it for somewhere :)

31. I love your sheer white curtains. They’d be great in my bedroom :) They looks o pretty against the grey walls. I just hung curtains in my DR after living here for a year and a half! Family room still naked!

32. Love the gray on the wall. I want a wall in my new house to have a room with grey walls.

All the best

An angel at my table

33. Anonymous says:

So cute. I have my living room emptied, walls primed, and for some reason the gray i picked out looks lilac! Ahh! Who makes the gray paint you used and do you remember the name color? Please help!

34. I would love to help but I have no way to contact you. You’re anonymous and no email. I hope you see this. Gray is VERY tough and no matter what, I always recommend testing it before painting. Here is the link to the post with the pale gray in my living room.

It’s a custom color.

I hope that helps!

35. Anonymous says:

Sorry! I’ve never done this! I guess i need an account. You are a dear, thank you for your response. I will definitely check out the link:)