Pottery Barn Cradle (White out Project #2), Bedding and Canopy

I totally “pinked out” yesterday
while working on a cradle for Edyn
for White out week.
When I am inspired or get an idea in my head,
I have to go with it right then & there
so I had to tackle these pink and oh so girly
projects YESTERDAY.
How about you?
I decided to create knock off versions
of pottery barn kids’ monogrammed cradle,
bedding, and canopy.
If I had purchased these from PBK,
 I would have spent
                   + $13 for monogramming
                   + $14 shipping
                     $144 + tax in NY
I made everything myself for

[M.C. Hammer dancing]

Are they exactly the same?
Are they close enough and dang cute?
Will Edyn appreciate it more someday because her mommy made it?
Hope so.
Here are the tutorials for each.
It’s a pretty lengthy, detailed post.

This vintage cradle was given to me for FREE at a yard sale
the summer I was pregnant with the twins.
Other than needing a fresh paint job,
it was well made and quite sturdy.

So…the first thing I did was give it a fresh coat
of white Krylon spray paint.
The PBK cradle has round balls atop it’s posts
so I purchased four decorative dowell caps
and Gorilla Glued them to my cradle posts.
This was an after thought.
Normally I would have added the caps BEFORE spray painting the cradle.

I added a small ring of Gorilla Glue

and an outer ring of Gorilla Super Glue
(for instant bond).

I’m pretty sure the decorative caps
aren’t going anywhere.

To monogram the cradle,
I used DecoArt craft paint in “Royal Fuschia
(to match the PBK color)
  and lettered stamps that I already had.
 The PBK cradle uses a script font but I wanted to work with what I had and opted not to purchase script stamps.

I smoothed a dollop of paint onto a piece of cardboard and lightly dabbled my stamp in it.
If you load too much paint,it will smear.
This is about right…
Then, I just gently pressed the stamp to the cradle.
I added her name & birth weight.
Her name is actually
Edyn Laura Grace

but it wouldn’t fit.
I call her Edyn Grace though and reserve Laura for when she’s in trouble.
What up, g?

Get it?
(The “g” looks kind of odd. Ohhhhkaayy. Moving on.)
After everything was dry,
I used DecoArt’s Gloss Sealer/Finisher to protect.

Total cradle cost:

Cradle – FREE
         DecoArt paint – $.99
           dowell caps – $1.19 x 2
          Gorilla Glue – already had
    Krylon spray paint – already had
         letter stamps – already had
   DecoArt Gloss Spray - already had
                       = $3.37
($25 if you needed to buy everything.)

For the base and post,

I used a 5/8″ x 36″ dowell and 8″ round plaque.
I used my Gorilla Super Glue for an instant, strong hold
and then used a screw to secure the dowell from beneath the base.
I gave everything a coat of
white Krylon spray paint & DecoArt Gloss Sealer/Finisher.

You will need
Lay hoop in center of 24 in. x 24 in. square fabric and cut circle out.
The only way for me to explain the next step was to draw it in Photoshop.
You basically need 6 triangles that you will piece together.
*The pink color represents the fabric.
It should look like this

Add pink ribbon trim to the edges of tulle
that will open in front of the canopy.

Hot glue the tulle to the inside of the ring,
puckering as you go along.
(No need to be neat here.)

Add ribbon to outside of canopy ring.
I used light pink satin.

Total canopy cost:
    Round, wooden base – $2.99
                dowell – $.99
       embroidery hoop – $1.19
          Gorilla Glue – already had
                 Tulle – already had
      Polka dot fabric – already had
                ribbon – already had
    Krylon spray paint – already had
   DecoArt Gloss Spray - already had
                       = $5.17

You will need
Measure the length and width of doll cradle or bed and add 2 inches to the width
(so that your blanket has an overhang).

Cut fabric and batting to this measurement.

My cradle was 9 1/2 in. wide x 24 in. long so I cut a 17 in. x 21 in. (folded)
piece of gingham for my blanket. Piece measured 34 in. x 21 in. unfolded.
Batting measured 17 in. x 21 in.

Your fabric needs a hard, smooth surface for stamping.
 You cannot stamp the monogram (neatly) once the batting is inserted.

Use the same technique as the cradle
but add DecoArt Fabric Painting Medium
to the paint so that it’s washable.

I purchased the doll back pack & lunch bag
(SO cute & tiny, btw!)
  for Christmas and used it to match the green for the monogram.

I darkened DecoArt’s “Citron Green” that I had on hand.

After the paint dries,
fold so that right sides are facing,
lay batting on top,
and stitch sides.
Turn right side out and
stitch open end closed with 1/4 in. seam
and follow the seam around the edges of the entire blanket.

Measure and cut fabric.
Fold over (inward) two inches on either side
and stitch each.
Then, stitch the sides.
  Total bedding cost:
       5/8yd. Gingham flannet – $1.56
        DecoArt Fabric Medium – $1.99
                      Batting – already had
 DecoArt “Citron Green” paint – already had
               Letter stamps  - already had
                              = $3.55
I purchased a PBK crib bumper with pink trim
when we were trying for our second child.
(Can you tell I was hoping for a girl?)
When we found out we were having boy & girl twins,

I chose not to use pink in the nursery and so the bumper has been waiting for a project.

Fortunately, it was the exact same width as the cradle! I cut a section for a mattress.

I created bias tape out of the  polka dot canopy fabric to finish the cut end.

It even has a fancy little edge to it.

I hope my baby girl loves her new cradle, bedding, and canopy.
I had such fun making them for her…
and saving $128!

Made in China…

Made with love by mommy…

(That’s Edyn’s new dolly from Santa.
She made a brief appearance for the photo shoot.)

I’m linking this project to…

1. Doda says:

awwwwww, that’s so cute! Made with love is so much better, it will become a family heirloom to be trasured I am sure!

2. What a lucky little bunny Edyn is to have such a clever, resourceful and beautiful Mummy.

Thank you for sharing everything in detail, like Jane I’ll be slipping it into my folder of ‘one day’ projects.

Happy weekend,

Felicity x

3. Oh good gosh, that has to be the cutest thing I’ve seen in a long time! Even better then PB because you made it for her.

4. wait wait wait… I totally like yours better! Is that possible? With PB? I love PB? But yours looks so much more authentic and charming. Great work!

Oh, Jami! Well done. I think you’ve created something that will be an heirloom for your granddaughters. I’m sure Edyn will love it. Way to go, mama!

oh goodness, that is BEYOND cute! (youre making me wish for a little girly to make things for!) and yours is SO much more fitting of you than the PBK one… LOVE LOVE LOVE!

7. It is much better than the expensive version! I love it!
    Great job!

Flora Doora

8. That is so so so adorable!!! I love the g(what up? g-hahaha) and I do believe she will treasure this more cause Mama made it! I love the canopy!!! I love the instructions, great tut and visuals! You rock GB!

9. Kelli @ RTSM says:

This is so cute and girly! I’m sure your little one will love it!

10. Awesome! Great job! It turned out perfect and lovely. xx

That is darling, Jami! So sweet! How special for your daughter. A true labor of love and fit for your little princess. My mom used to call me by my first and middle name as well when I got in trouble. I got a chuckle out of you mentioning that. Hope you are having a great weekend.

12. Everything is so cute! What a great PB knockoff! Makes me wish I had a little girl to make one for. Great job!

13. There is nothing like saving some of those hard earned dollars. What a great way to make an already cute piece, a dynamite one!

14. JANE says:

This is absolutely extraordinary, Jami! Yet another of your tutorials I’ve bookmarked for ‘one day’. And thanks so much for showing every single step. You’re the best! J x

15. Well that is just adorable!!! Yes, I believe your daughter will always love it ESPECIALLY since her momma made it!!

16. Your version is way better!

17. So cute! A doll crib and bedding are on my list-o-things-to-elf before the 25th. I really wish someone had gifted ME a cradle!! I’ve been planning to use Ana White’s doll crib plans, but I’m seriously scared of messing it up! ((breathe, charlie, just breathe!))

You’ve inspired me to nip it in the bud, though!

Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka,

18. **Anne** says:

Absolutely awesome. I love it when we can make something ourselves and save buckets on the original price. Even though I don’t have little girls anymore, I still appreciated seeing your tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

19. Olde Tyme Marketplace says:

Dang cute is right! So nice of the new little dolly to show up for an early photo shoot with out any attitude. She looks like she can be quite the diva! lol!
    Beth :0)

20. I think yours is even cuter than the PB one! What a special gift for your little girl. x x
    (Can I have one too please?)

21. This is just adorable, I think your is much sweeter. I think any sweet little girl would love to get this set. Even better made by mom

22. Susan says:

What a adorable little cradle. You did a magnificant job. Just blogging around this morning and found your blog. I love reading all the different blogs, they are all so interesting and unique. Thank you for letting me visit.

23. toni says:

Wow…thought I was Christmas shopping on PBK for a minute there! This project is adorable and I’m sure Edyn is going to love it! Can’t wait to bring Juliahna over to play dollies:)

24. Jami, visiting your blog today was like peeking into “Mrs. Santa’s Heirloom Workshop”. How wonderful your Christmas morning will be!*L*

25. allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com says:

That is the most precious gift! I am amazed at your fearless attitude to recreate the PB version and the canopy is so special! Amazing job!

26. I’d like to know where you get your energy, your creativity, and your talent, girl!!!! Wow! What an adorable gift for a little girl! So cute!!!! :)

xoxo laurie

27. That canopy top turned out so nice. Who knew triangles could look so good.

28. Jen says:

Very pretty!
    Love the name & weight on there!
    And the canopy is super cute!

29. absolutely precious!

30. Jami, This is so adorable and I know your daughter will love it! I am amazed constantly by your creativity and talent.

31. You are so inspiring and talented.

Your daughter will love love love this!

32. That is so adorable! Thanks for sharing it on Show and Tell!

33. You are one smart mamma. Too cute. Really. Where are you going to spend all the mullah you saved? :) Great tutorial and spectacular results. Clever you.

34. Aubrey says:

I just love this DIY- Darling! Thank You for sharing

Oh, I love this! The little cradle is ADORABLE! (And I think it looks way cuter than the Pottery Barn version, too!) I love the blanket and the canopy as well! You are so creative, Jami, and every thing you do is gorgeous! :)

36. Neida says:

What a fantastic project! Turned out extra sweet—especially the price! Nice going!

37. Be sure & pick up your “Blog of Substance Award” at

38. Brenda Kula says:

How delightfully adorable! Yes, one day she will appreciate it very very much!

39. What a terrific tutorial and the end product is just beautiful! Great job. I’m inspired now :)

40. Humble Bee says:

You ROCK! This deserves some kind of award. I’d give you the nobal peace prize if I were in charge.

41. Lisa says:

Well, that is pretty darn cute, and I like it better than the PB one, I think the canopy nailed it. I have my daughters doll crib down in the basement…think I have time to re-do it and give it to her for Christmas? What else would a 30 something child want, but to remember the memories!

Excellent job!

42. Becky says:

I {heart} doll cribs and pink gingham! What a lucky little girl.

43. Hi, I’m just out visiting. I love your special projects. I’ve been doing some of my own. I am posting them tomorrow. Come visit!

big hugs

44. OMGoodness this is so sweet and adorable !
    Very clever & crafty, made with patience, imagination and LoVe.
    There is no better gift.

45. Holly says:

So sweet. I love the canopy and the price! What a lucky little girl!

46. julie says:

oh my goodness jami! you are awesome! i love it! i want it! she is going to love it! that has to be one of the most sweetest gifts i have ever seen! what a good mommy you are! hmmm! i wonder if i could pull it off! i hope you and your sweet family have a wonderful christmas! xo

47. Just got done reading this tutorial…and “jaw drops…” Wow, you are talented! Wish I could sew using a machine. ;) Determined to learn one way or another, do you recommend a good resource book or website?