The simple things.

It doesn’t take much to
bring this girl happiness.

Coffee with an old friend.
A snuggle from my babies.
A sweet comment from you.
An unexpected letter in the mail.

And, this…
 Would you look at that chippy, crackled, time worn, whiteness?
 You might recognize it from my bedroom.
I found this mirror at an antique auction last week for $12.
(I removed the mirror because it was just too green as antique mirrors often are.)
I froze my butt off and shivered in the rain
for three hours just to bid on it
 and a huge, old, weathered window
that I won for $20.

They were both in the projects section outside.

The big spendy, serious antique dealers get comfy seating and heated indoors.
The cheap & thrifty gals like myself get frost bitten outdoors.
I love how it’s called the projects to boot.

Won’t stop me from standing there though…

…I’m still after the perfect, old, white mantel for my living room.

Hope you’re having a beautiful weekend.

This post is linking with
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk

1. Very pretty! I love the cracked and chippy patina.

2. Finding Home says:

I so would have shivering with you, but I also would have brought the coffee! I am bored with the fancy stuff at auctions. The one auctioneer I went to these last two months looks in my direction when the “junk” comes up. If I ever get my act together this weekend I will post some pictures of the stuff I got last week. I am glad you got something that you loved so much!

Laura of Finding Home

3. ChRiS says:

love the mirror, and your a true trooper to stand there and wait it out!!

4. I love the old window… mantels are hard to find at an affordable price… I finally built my own from bits and pieces of old and new… I still need to find some old corbels for it though… love your blog btw.

5. Jami, it was totally worth the wait! The shape of that mirror is incredible!

6. That is such a great frame! I would be right there with you in the projects. Ha! I need to find an auction. I’ve only been to a couple of them.

7. Becky says:

Creamy, white, chippy goodness! I love the dream banner it works great there!

8. michelle says:

Great frame! I would stand there with you as well, I love auctions! It looks really pretty in its new home!

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I havent been to an auction before… but I would totally keep you company in the projects! :)

10. awal.ny says:

Oh the frame is definately worth it, I would have been out there bidding against you. I may not be posting as much but I am not going anywhere for now. Thanks for the advice about the mattress, problem is that we replaced it with the older mattress that was bothering my husbands back and now he is fine. I am thinking that a nice soft mattress pad for my side is what it is going to come down to. As for the couch I am still up in the air and taking my time. Have a great weekend.

11. Sometimes we just HAVE to freeze our booty. but it’s worth it in the end!!! (pun there)
    love it!!

12. ~~*~*~LOVE it Jami!!!! Such a wonderful post!~*~HUGS,Rachel ;)~*

13. You are so funny :-) It was definitely worth standing out in the cold for. It looks beautiful! I can’t wait to see what you do with the window.

It looks perfect in your bedroom, Jami. Great frame! I have never been to an auction. It’s something I would love to do one of these days. Your bedroom looks so pretty and cozy.

15. We love the same things, I reckon that’s why we get along. That mirror was soo worth the wait in the rain, and the price, pshaw! Hope you find that mantle!!!

16. I would have done the same thing! That is a gorgeous mirror. When you come back to Annapolis, you have got to spend a day at Crumpton — an outdoor auction EVERY Wednesday about 45 min from here. I bet you would find a mantle there!

17. The only auction I’ve ever been to is ebay! That’s not very thrilling is it? I don’t know if I’d find it all too hard to bear.

Do you know what, Jami, I reckon you could make a wooden mantelpiece fairly easily. One of ours is handmade (not by me!) and I’m sure it’s not rocket scinece if you have the right tools…Why don’t you have a go? Go, Jami, go!

18. Debby says:

It’s beautiful. There is nothing like a great find that you fall in love with. Here’s to finding that perfect living room mantel some time soon! xo

19. Brenda Kula says:

Oh, it’s gorgeous! I remember a similar one from my childhood, but it was a dark color.

20. Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack says:

Auctions are the best! Great finds! Your mirror is just the right touch above the nightstand!

21. Hi Jami, I would have stood in the rain for this too! It is gorgeous. I went to an estate sale this weekend and most of the dealers were inside looking at the fancy furniture while I was out digging in the out buildings!
    Hugs, Sherry

Wahoo! So glad you weren’t completely frozen…and that your quest was successful. What a great find.

23. Nutbird says:

Oh come on now, Freckles! You can make a mantel.(Not me.) Find one that you like and start putting together all the different pieces. If you want an old one, start hitting it with things. You will get a lot of mileage out of a new mantle post. Ann

24. Tricia - A Rosy Note says:

Love it and auctions too. I haven’t been to one in ages though :)

25. Sara Louise says:

It looks pretty!

26. d. reyné says:

I would have done the same…it’s adorable!

27. julie says:

That is definitely worth standing there for! How do you find your antique auctions? I’d love to track a few down in my area!

28. LOVE your blog! Just added it to our blogroll! :-)
    So nice to “meet” you today!

Hello Jami!

I love the mirror frame! It is just perfect, and I love where you hung it! :)
    I hope you find the perfect mantel, too!

Have a beautiful Monday!

30. Emily says:

Just gorgeous. I love decorating with mirror frames (even without the mirrors). Lately I’ve been trying the distressed mirrored technique as well. It’s been so much fun to turn brand new mirrors into vintage looking ones :)
    Come check us out when you have a second…
    We’ve still got lots of fun things to add to our store, but for’s a fun work in progress :)

Loving what you do,
    Emily @ Crisp Interiors

31. What a super great deal and it looks so pretty!

32. lucy says:

oh yes, I would’ve waited on this sweetie too:)

33. Jami – what a bargain! You have it in the perfect spot. You will always remember where this came from. Love your bedroom and the whites

34. LURVE IT, Jami!!!! LOL! What we don’t do for a little shabby love, huh???

xoxo laurie

I really really love this – I did notice it in your bedroom post and wondered where in the world you find these beautiful objects. Now I know – mix one measure vision with one cup of patience, then add a dash of hypothermia and ta-dah, you’ve got yourself one very lovely bargain.

36. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the frame! What a great find! And I would most certainly stood out in that weather just to get my hands on something like that! Good for you!

37. looks great! loving the last photo

38. Wow.. gorgeous blog!

I am just starting one too… if you can, please go take a look. Thanks! :-)

Luciane at