Repurposed Jewelry Box Nightstand (and a glimpse of my bedroom).

(Couldn’t decide which photo I liked better so you’re getting both.)

My bedroom is tiny.
I prefer to call it cozy.
On either side of the king size bed,
there is hardly room to fit a nightstand.
In fact, the nightstand that I used in my
faux zinc tutorial only fit sideways
(which is why I had no problem zincin’ it to use elsewhere).
I adore Songbird’s stacked suitcase table
and originally wanted to do this in my bedroom
but I simply could not find a suitcase
small enough to fit
so I’ve bookmarked this pretty little idea for another room.
A couple of weeks ago,
I took my jewelry box out of the closet
searching for a letter
when the idea occurred to turn it into a nightstand.
I kept my jewelry box in the closet anyhow
because the mahogany didn’t match my decor.
Here’s the easy tutorial.
Materials:
Large jewelry box (or whatever you want)
4 balusters ($3.78 each at Lowe’s)
One 1/4 in. pine slat ($1.50 at Lowe’s)
(I purchased two but only needed one.)
Gorilla Glue
Primer
Paint of choice
(I eventually used Valspar chalkboard paint.)

Step 1
I used a mitre saw to trim legs to desired height and
cut the pine slats to the width of my jewelry box.

Step 2
 I used my incredibly strong Gorilla Glue
and glued the pine slats to the underside.
*Note: You’ll notice that I did not use any nails for this project.
The Gorilla Glue was plenty strong enough.
 I taped/clamped them down with some Frog Tape
that I already had on hand.
(Another slat went on the opposite side.)
Step 3
I Gorilla glued the legs to each corner of the box,
adhering them to the pine slat underneath.
Then, I carefully added some weight to the top
and let everything dry for an hour.
Step 4
I primed the entire stand.
Step 5
I painted it.

I originally painted it white
and distressed the edges
but I figured that had been done to death
and I didn’t love it on this.

So, I chose something entirely unique and original.

Chalkboard paint.
Hope you got the sarcasm.
I also hot glued trim from a vintage pillow case
to create a skirt.
Using chalk,
I added the quote,
“To sleep, perchance to dream…”
by William Shakespeare.
Hamlet
 But, it still needed something.
Then, I remembered that I had just ordered
a beautiful German glass glitter banner

That, my sweets, was the hold up
in sharing this project…
…I was waitin’ on my sparkle
which arrived very quickly I might add.

Isn’t she a pretty lil’ thing?
Thank you, Marian!

Next up: Denim Garland

This post in linking with
Show & Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Frugal Friday at the Shabby Nest
Style Feature Saturday at Perfectly Imperfect

Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk

Comments

1. Love the jewerly stand!

2. ~*~*Wow! Jami you are so creative!! LOVE the glimpse into your beautiful bedroom!! We are considering buying a king size bed..I like a “cozy” bedroom!! Hugs, Rachel~*~*

3. Awesome! Isn’t it amazing how something we’ve looked at so long can suddenly become something else with just the right amount of inspiration! I love it.

4. This is just darling! Thank you for sharing!

Jamie

5. This is just darling! Thank you for sharing!

Jamie

Perfection, my friend. What a great addition to your bedroom. The sparkle was just the thing to top it all off.

7. Beckie says:

Beautiful! Oh how I want to take a tour of your home….

Have a great night!

8. What a great idea for a small space. It turned out so great. Love you “dream” on it too. So pretty!

9. You just rock, Jami! You continue to amaze me with your creativity, your use of POWER TOOLS, and your style! :) Love it, girlie!

xoxo laurie

10. I love it! The banner is the perfect finishing touch. You are so creative to turn a jewelry box into a night stand. Clever girl! :)

11. Maggie says:

Beautiful!!

12. michelle says:

Love it! How clever and everything looks so beautiful! I like the quote you have on it too!

Very clever, Jami! I love it with the chalkboard paint and the dream banner really completes it. It’s perfect! I also like the little saying you chose.

14. Kristin says:

oh i *love* it!! i have the same problem with my {cozy} bedroom…i’m on a mission now…*thanks* :0)

15. Your amazing! My heart has stopped beating and I am speachless.

come visit
    cindy@stitches

16. This is just a darling idea, and I actually DO love the black better, and the little skirt is a sweet addition!
    xo,
    Debra

17. Renee says:

Love this so much!! Did you paint that suitcase white? Gorgeous!
    ~Renee @ Shabby, Chic & Charming

18. This is genius. What a perfect solution in a small space. Clever, resourceful, and looks gorgeous. Well done!

19. Beautiful room and the night stand is so unique
    thx for sharing
    Helen

20. Stephanie says:

I loved the sarcasm! Where is there not a place for chalkboard paint! It looks so darn cute, look at you building things, I am impressed.

21. gail myrepurposedlife.net says:

great job jami! It looks perfect there!
    gail
    ps great tute!

22. Amber says:

Super cute Jami!

Gorgeous Jami, I love it and a great tutorial too, clever girl.

Hugs

Cath
    x

24. Jen says:

Wow! You are so creative..I love it! Love how you worked around the king size bed(I have a king size & would DEFINITELY not give it up for a side table..lol)

25. Jen says:

26. Jami, I am gushing, for I love this soooo much!!! How original to use chalkboard paint;) Love how you pulled everything together, this is just simply gorgeous, did I mention that I also love the frames above, cause I do. Great job!!!

27. Love, love, love this creative idea!!! I too am master bedroom challenged…it sucks. And I too have a kind size bed stuffed into a room that would make a queen look to big. lol And to make matters worse, I have no room for a dresser so ours is stuffed up against the foot of the bed with a massive tv on top. HELP…
    So, I immediately bond with anyother MB Challenged soul.
    So did I say love, love, love your idea & maybe I’m off to find a jewelry box & some chaulk paint! ;)
    Hugs,
    Susie

28. Love, love, love this creative idea!!! I too am master bedroom challenged…it sucks. And I too have a kind size bed stuffed into a room that would make a queen look to big. lol And to make matters worse, I have no room for a dresser so ours is stuffed up against the foot of the bed with a massive tv on top. HELP…
    So, I immediately bond with anyother MB Challenged soul.
    Hugs,
    Susie

29. Rebecca says:

This is really cute-so unique!

30. Waaaaay back when you had the vote on which project to blog first, I wanted to see the jewelry box nightstand…and for a darn good reason! I KNEW you’d come up with something so…
    1. easy to do
    2. inexpensive
    3. cute as hell
    4. perfect for MY space
    5. vintage
    Thanks, Jami, for making my day.

31. Olive Cooper says:

You are thinking outside the jewelry box!

32. julie says:

Once again you have blown me away with your talent and creativity. This is gorgeous Jami!

33. You are one talented lady, Jami! What a fabulous idea to use a jewelry box as a top for a nightstand… sooo creative!! The chalkboard paint and little skirt are perfect! I LOVE that large vintage frame, too… just gorgeous! What a beautiful bedroom you have… thanks for the wonderful inspiration!!
    xoxo,
    Jo :)

34. Stephanie says:

So creative, I just love this. Good job!

35. Stephanie says:

So creative, I just love this. Good job!

36. toni says:

Hey sis, This turned out really nice. You’re so creative!

37. Nutbird says:

Great solution! What’s on the other side of the bed. You could also use a wall hung shelf. How do you read in bed?
    Serious question. If I was to buy one saw, would the miter saw be the one? I don’t have any real power tools. Thanks Ann

38. rainbowcreek says:

Wow that turned out so cute. You are incredibly creative. Yes, the bling put it over the top. I have to do this now for one of the kid’s rooms.

39. Ann (Nutbird),
    Thank you! There is nothing on the other side of the bed at the moment. I will be adding two small nickel or white frames to balance things out. On the wall that runs perpendicular, I’ll be hand painting a quote or hanging a chippy old window. Haven’t decided yet. How do I read in bed? Do you mean because of the iron bars? I just stack two pillows behind me. I have my current book in the bottom drawer of the nightstand and the cotton basket beneath is for a few more. To be honest though, I haven’t read in bed lately. As soon as I hit the bed, I’m asleep! As for the saw… YES, miter is the one I would recommend. It is my go-to saw. I use it all of the time. I had Lowe’s cut my bead board on their panel saw in the store and anything large that I need cut, I always have them do it. Miter all the way. ;)

40. Lauren Bird says:

I saw your post on the Shabby Nest and I fell in love with this, even from the little picture on the link up! This is great.

41. Lovin thsi super cute idea!!!!

Blessings,
    Linda

42. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT–that is so stinkin cute.

Thanks for sharing it.

I hope you have a fabulous week.

Cheri