Upcycled Denim Garland Tutorial

Happy weekend, my sweets!
This denim garland tutorial is so easy
and creates a simple, chic look in your home.

You can keep the garland up year round.
Just use it for the holidays.
Hang it from a mantel or on a tree.
Add lace to shabby it up.
 Use various shades of denim to “country” it up.
I chose to use a dark denim
from an old pair of size 4 jeans that I swore I’d fit into again someday.
I finally realized that ain’t happening.

An old pair of jeans
A pair of scissors
Rotary Cutter with a wave blade ($22 with coupons)
(if you want a wavy edge)
Needle & thread or hot glue
Metal ruler
(if you’re using rotary cutter)
Vintage lace
Step 1
Cut off the legs of the jeans
so that the fabric lays flat.

Step 2
Line up your ruler.

Step 3
Run your rotary cutter along one side of the ruler
and again along the other side.
Continue this step until you have
several strips of denim.
(My ruler is about an inch and 1/2 wide
so my strips are an inch and 1/2 wide.)

Step 4
Use your sewing machine,
a needle and thread,
or hot glue
to join the ends of the strips together,
overlapping them about a 1/4 inch.

Continue to join strips until your garland
is the desired length.
(Optional) Step 5
 Position your lace in the middle
and stitch or hot glue it to the garland.
That’s it.
Told you it was easy.
With lace…
I even hung some over my antique window.

Enjoy your weekend!

This post in linking with
Show & Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Frugal Friday at the Shabby Nest
Style Feature Saturday at Perfectly Imperfect
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk

The lovely Tiffini
from House of Belonging recently
joined the vintage market.
Her love of old books and paperie
inspired a shop filled with
her beautiful and affordable wreaths.

She also shares her heart through
journaling at her blog.
Happy to have you, Tiffini!

1. You are always making such cool things! Have a Happy Thanksgiving Jami!

Darling work Jami. Now I need a scalloped rotary blade!

3. ~*~*Always love your creativity Jami!! And also love Tiffini’s etsy site!!~*~* Hugs,Rachel~*~*

4. Oooh that is so cute Jami, I did not know you could get rotary cutters that cut a wiggly line, so cool!

xx Karen

5. This is lovely Jami, A great piece to use at any celebration or just as a decoration for your home.
    Donna xx

ooooh! super cute!

7. Becky says:

So cute! with lace, without lace, love them both!

8. Hi Jami, Very cute! It would be great to use as ribbon on gift packages.

9. Be still my heart! Denim and lace, my absolute favourites. I have two rotary cutters, but not that neat little blade. I need one now. This project is definitely on my to do list now. Thanks so much for sharing.

10. I want to make one! I have a stack of old jeans that have been waiting to be used for crafting. Thanks for the ideas! xx

11. Another cool idea from FL. I love the juxtaposition between the rugged denim and beautiful lace. Very cool!

12. I love love your idea! It’s cute yet cool. Must look perfectly pretty in ‘real’.
    Have a happy Sunday! xx

13. Very cute and a darling way to go green too. And I love the rotary. Must get one. I am tickled you found me thru Sherry and hope you will visit often. Your blog and header are charming. xo Lynn

14. Super cool, and yes, I could do this with hot glue!!! Now if I could only find some denim, hahaha! Love it with the lace! But love how versatile without as well!!

15. A wiggly rotary cutter? That sounds pretty cool. Those rotary cutters are so aesome, aren’t they?

I’ve just bought a biiiiiig cutting board – perfect for cutting up pairs of jeans I can’t fit into!!

16. Torie Jayne says:

Gorgeous! Such a great idea, Have a sweet day!

17. Brenda Kula says:

You got your groove going, girl!

18. what a great tutorial! i think i might need to make one :)

19. Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack says:

How cute is that? Love the girly with the touch of masculine. Juxtaposition, as Donna would say. Okay, I just like saying that word, haha! Even though we are away I have access to a computer for a 1/2 hour. I can’t be stopped!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Hi Jami!

This is so sweet! I love the combination of the dark denim with the lace! You did a wonderful job on the garland! :)