Terrycloth Cookie Monster Invitations

Let the party planning begin!
In an earlier post, I mentioned that
the first few weeks of September around here
will be more vintage baby than vintage home
with a dash of Cookie Monster.
My twins turn 1 this month.
This is the fun terrycloth
Cookie Monster invitation that I made
and I’ve included an easy tutorial.

Isn’t Cookie cute?
Blue terrycloth by the yard, a blue towel, or blue faux fur
1 sheet of white foam (for eyes)
Hot glue gun
DecoArt Americana craft paint in Ebony (for eyes)
Batting (for front of head)
Thin cardboard
Black felt (for inside mouth)
Brown kraft paper
First, using card stock or thin cardboard,
create a mock up to use as a template.
You can make your monster any size you choose.
Using your template, trace the circle on to
thin cardboard and cut as many folded circles
as you need invitations.

With your monster folded in half,
trace, and cut batting semi-circles.
Then, trace template onto folded terrycloth
leaving a half-inch border, and cut.
The fold of the template should run along the fold of the cloth.
Take your template and trim off 1/4-inch around.
Use this smaller size to cut black felt circles for mouth.
[No photo for this step but fold and cut like the terrycloth step]
I used a nickel as a template for the foam eyes.
I love to function like an assembly line
when I’m making several of something
so I cut all my pieces first.
I also used DecoArt Americana craft paint in Ebony
to paint black pupils on all the eye cutouts.
 To assemble, first, dab a small amount
of hot glue in the center of a folded circle
and attach semi-circle batting.
Then, unfold cardboard circle and
place into center of unfolded terrycloth.
Fold terrycloth edge inward and hot glue as you go around.
It is best to glue in opposites.
I glue the top center then the bottom center, the right center then left, etc.
Because of the circular shape, your fabric will pucker.
Use scissors to snip off bulky puckers.
Your piece should now look like this.
Next, take a black felt circle and hot glue to the inside.
Finally, glue the eyes to the outside front on the puffy batting half.
Cookie Monster’s googly eyes are a signature characteristic
so be careful when you glue them on.
One eye pupil should point inward and down,
the other inward and up.

Your terrycloth Cookie Monster is complete!
To make the cookie inserts,
create a Word document with six circles, type in the information,
and print.
Then, use a brown crayon to draw chocolate chips.
Cut out each cookie.
Here is what my cookies say.
Excuse the white patch on the right. Didn’t want my digits blasted all over the internet.
Giving credit where credit is due,
the verbiage for my invitation was inspired by this adorable invitation.
Insert cookies into mouth…

…and done!
Here’s another look just to be sure.
And another.
These invitations were so fun to make
and I’m sure our young guests will love opening them!

“Mmmm. Me want cooooookies!”
- Cook E. Monster

I love reading your comments.
I can only create & blog between the twins’ naps and in the evening
(until my eyes eventually look like Cookie Monster’s)
so I don’t always respond the same day, BUT I always respond.
If you haven’t heard from me, you will.
Thanks for taking time to say something sweet, offer suggestions, etc.

Each invitation cost me about 95 cents to mail.
They require additional postage because they have to be post marked by hand
given their thickness.

This project is linking in the September DIY Club Contest.
Click the button below to link up your project
for a chance to win a very cool $500 prize package!
You have until the 16th!
DIY Club

Visit thecsiproject.com

Okay Jami, hands down, you’re a genius! I am over here just loving those Cookie Monster invites! They are so SO adorable! If only my kids were young enough for me to do this! Do you know that every time I come here, I am amazed at your creativity!? LOVE this! :)

I hope you have a great night!

2. Oh goodness, so very creative! Looks very simple too, you posted a great tutorial. Those are sure to be a hit!!

Those are the cutest invitations I have ever seen for a child’s party! Adorable! You are so creative and talented, Jami. Your tutorial, as always, is so easy to follow and thorough. Your party is going to be so much fun for your twins and everyone!

4. Okie Chic says:

Love it!!! Soo creative great idea!!!

5. Tricia - A Rosy Note says:

Very cute Jami! You are so creative. Are you having a Cookie Monster themed party?

LOL LOVE IT!!!!!! And I love that you have the whole, “This invitation is brought to you by…” just adorable!!

7. That’s so brilliant! I love it.

And what a great tutorial! xx

8. LOVE IT!!! I always make my girls’ invitations(well, twice I didn’t, their choice). How adorable is that??? I too understand the cookie monster eye thing, that is how I came to wear reading glasses :(

Ok, you take the cake (or should I say cookie??) Wow.

10. Nancy says:

This is so sweet :) Our youngest grandchild turns one this upcoming Monday and her 1st birthday party is this Saturday – a bittersweet day. Sending this idea to the daughters that have sons!!

11. julie says:

Jami, these are so adorable! It looks like your twins are going to have a perfect party for their one year celebration. Happy Birthday to them!

12. ★All Thingz Related★ says:

The cutest invitations EVER! I love them!!

13. Holly says:

Too darn cute! So creative!

14. Jessica G says:

Ahh this makes me wish I had a little one young enough to make these for for their next BDay party. What a great idea.

15. Jen says:

These have got to be the cutest invitations I have EVER seen!!!!
    I know my kids are soon to be 15 & 17 but I wonder if they would let me throw them a cookie monster b-day party? LOL !

16. Empty Nest Full Life says:

Those are just too cute! What a wonderful idea. Who wouldn’t want to get that invitation? Jackie

17. April says:

This is absolute prec. Love it!!

18. ShadowCase says:

These are so adorable! I think it would be fun to do these for just a family party themed around cookies. Even a Cookie Potluck… Gonna have to remember this–thanks for all your comments!

19. FlyAwayHome says:

How cute are these! So creative.

20. Jami, The invitations are adorable! I can’t wait to see all the creative things you do for the party.
    Hugs, Sherry

21. So SERIOUSLY cute!!! I can’t stand it. ;-)

22. Makes me wish I had little ones again to have a party for…almost! Great invitation and the tutorial was perfectly done! This ensures a very fun party!

Thanks for stopping by Nouveau Stitch!

23. Tiff says:

OMG I love this. How cute. My youngest is having a birthday in November. These are perfect. I’ll be sure to send you a picture when I’m done!

24. MessyMissy says:

So Freakin’ CUTE. Love it!!!

25. These are adorable!! So cute! I need to so cute stuff like this for my sons…

26. I love them. I hope the b’day party was fun. Did they grab for the cake with their hands. My kids never wanted to get their hands dirty. A friend pushed my oldest’s hand into the cake and he started fussing, he immediately wanted it cleaned off.

27. Candy (Mama Lion) says:

this is so very creative!! love it.

28. SO cute! I miss having little ones. These are just adorable. Looks like I’ll have to plan a party for nieces and nephews. ;)

29. Nina @ Momma Go Round says:

Oh goodness….these are even more adorable than the pinata and I didn’t think that was possible! I’m dying here! Yeah, this one is going up on the FB too….I just can’t help it!

30. A Few of My Favorite Things says:

Seriously AMAZING! I’m a fellow twin mom and I’m blown away that you have the time to do this. I’m sharing on my FB page (http://www.facebook.com/AFOMFT) and would love to feature your party on my blog when it’s over too!

31. Pyjammy Pam says:

Adorable! I’m doing a Sesame Street party for my boys’ 3rd bday, and now I’m reconsidering the invites I already designed. :)

32. Kim @ Frost Me! says:

so cute! I love how you did the “cookie” invite! great job!

hugs! Kim @ Frost Me!
    party inspiration

33. Tiff says:

Just adorable!!

34. Vallimasoos says:

So adorable! I love the cookie invites!!

35. T's Mommy says:

I made these this past weekend BUT am having a hard tie keeping Cookie closed. It always pops open. Any tips for me???

36. Erin F says:

These are adorable. I was wondering if you had to send any through the mail and if so, what did you put them in?

37. Hello Erin. Your email did not come through with an email address so I hope you’ll see this here. Yes, I mailed all but one. I can’t remember the size envelope I used though. A2 comes to mind. I just took the cookie monster invite to Staples and bought the smallest envelope it would fit in from their invitation section. I took them directly to the Post Office and had them do the postage and postmark by hand instead of running them through the machine. I didn’t want any invites ruined. At the time, they cost just shy of a dollar each to mail. (It wasn’t too crazy or I would have hand-delivered them.) I hope that helps! Happy you like them. :) Thanks!

38. MOM OF THREE says:

Thanks so much for the great idea. I added to your idea and attached Velcro to back of cookies and bottom of mouth. I’m a mother of 4 year old twins and 2 year old. Always looking for great party ideas.

39. Anonymous says:

I love these and are planning my sons 2nd birthday for this coming september and really want to do this…i know i can accomplish it but i have TWO questions, how much was it to mail? and how did you get the cookies to stay in the mouth so they are there when the recipient receives it…

40. Mrs Wade says:

Such a great creation…love it

41. laura says:

Thank you for such a great idea…my daughter is in love with cookie monster and guess what she’s turning 21 lol she still loves him …so yes I’m making these invitations for her 21st bday party in Vegas…so excited to make them…thanks for the idea again. :-) :-) :-)