Cookie Monster Paper Bag Piñata

5 days until the birthday bash
(and then my blog becomes normal again)!

Here is a quick tutorial for the
Cookie Monster Paper Bag Piñata
that I made today.

Although the Cookie Monster design is mine,
it was the sweet Karen at Restyled Vintage
that suggested I do a paper bag piñata.
I had never heard of such a thing before.

Isn’t it funny how the simplest things can be so profound?

Thank you, Karen!

Old gift bag
Blue crepe paper/streamer
Scrap cardboard
Blue tissue paper
White paper or foam
Black craft paint
Hot glue
Craft glue

Step 1
Find an old gift bag.

Step 2
While your blue crepe paper is still rolled,
cut slits to make fringe.
(It is so much easier to cut on the roll, rather than snipping each individual piece afterward.)
Step 3
Hot glue the crepe paper fringe to the bag,
starting at the bottom.
Cover the entire bag.
Step 4
Tear tissue paper into 2-inch squares
(no need to be exact with the squares…roughly 2 inches is fine)
and scrunch into tiny balls.
I had blue tissue paper on hand.
If you don’t, just scrunch up some crepe paper squares.
I used two shades of blue.
Step 5
Cut cardboard into sort of a football shape
and two hands and coat with black craft paint.
Step 6
Cut two foam or paper eyes and hot glue to head.
Step 7
Use a pencil to draw mouth.
(I used a pair of Cookie Monster skivvies for reference. Ha!)
Step 8
  Brush craft glue all over head,
excluding inside of mouth and eyes,
and stick on your little blue balls.

Step 9
Hot glue the head to the top of the bag,
and attach arms to the sides.

(I stapled the arms from the inside of the bag.)
 Fill it with candy,

hang it from a tree and…

Cookie Monster piñata for $1.00

(the cost of crepe paper at Dollar General)
so his hands are a little ridiculous
but you get the point!
If you haven’t entered my
{Starfish} Custom Handmade Jewelry giveaway,
CLICK HERE to enter
to win a beautiful necklace of your choice.
Two winners announced Wednesday!
I needed to step away from the blog for a couple of days
and tend to some house and yard work,
but I’ll be catching up on comments tonight.
As always, thank you so much for taking time to leave them.
They make this all worthwhile!

This post is linking with…
The incredibly talented, Cheri gave her blog a beachy chic makeover
and I’m linking with her Monday party…

The Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
The NEW Girl Creative Party Blog

Visit my Link Parties button in the sidebar more great parties that I link with.

1. Bonnie says:

this party is going to be AMAZING! Where do you come up with these great ideas???

What a darling pinata! Your party is going to be adorable and so much fun for your kids!

3. MessyMissy says:

SO adorable. I do a craft time at a local library and I can definitely see a version of thing being attempted by some crafty kiddos!!!

4. ~*Sooo cute Jami!! I wish my sons would love something like that for their birthday..but now they are teenagers so I guess that time has Hope you had a wonderful weekend! Hugs,Rachel~*~*

5. JANE says:

Ooh, Jami, you are the best! What a fabulous idea. I’ve bookmarked that one for future use with the pixies. Your talent knows no bounds and your children are so lucky to have you as their mother. J x

6. Holly says:

That might be the best pinata I have ever seen. I will have to try this next time…pinatas are ridiculously expensive. I may have to mod podge mine and reinforce it for the big kids though. Adorable.

7. abode love says:

This is just too adorable! This party is going to be amazing! Great job!

8. Well done Jami, and thanks for the mention :)

We have been making them using paper bags for a couplf=e of years now and it has become a real tradition, the kids love it, and believe it or not they do take a fair bit of whacking to break them (the first time I actually used two bags and it was overkill, lol).

Have a great party, I am sure it will be everything you have dreamt it to be :)

xx karen

9. Nina @ Momma Go Round says:

So cute! What a fabulous idea….my son will be having an Elmo party (in april, hehe) and I am totally doing this! Thanks for the tutorial and inspiration!

Found you @ It’s So Very Cheri!

10. Nina @ Momma Go Round says:

Oh, forgot to tell you! I’m linking up this project on my blog’s FB page!

11. Amber says:

Jami, that is such a cute idea! How creative! It’s too adorable to break open!

12. Looks like fun Jami:)

13. Lisa says:

So clever and so cute! It’s going to be a great party.

14. Decorchick! says:

Oh my goodness. That is just the cutest thing ever!!!

15. Shannon says:

What a great job! It looks fantastic! So good that I’d just want to hit it with a stick :)

16. Seriously girl! Must you be so creative? It puts the rest of us to shame. ;-)

17. RedHeadedStepChild says:

Love it! I’m having a Cookie Monster themed party next month for my baby, great idea! Adding to my idea file…

18. Becky says:

Congrats on your feature at Under the table…Awesome job, you make it look so easy!

19. Beckie says:

You are truly amazing!!! I love it…and the color…fabulous!!!

20. Ashley @ Little Miss Momma says:

Loving all the cookie Monster awesomeness you are creating! Can’t wait to seel it all together!

21. the cape on the corner says:

such a great idea, and it looks wonderful!

22. Hi Jamie, The pinata is adorable! Have a wonderful party.
    Hugs, Sherry

23. This is such a great idea, and it’s simple I love how you reuse the boxes :)

24. Judy @ In His Grip says:

Okay, this has got to be the cutest ever. This party is going to be smashing. Thanks for stopping by In His Grip.

25. RACKS and Mooby says:

That is so cute!! May have to borrow that idea! Stopping by from Its So Very Cheri.

26. Jen Scott says:

that pinata is amazing! Great job!

27. Kristin says:

What a GREAT idea! My husband and I are teaching a kid’s concoctions class and we wanted to make pinatas with the 6-8 year olds. I think this will be much easier than using a balloon! I’m relieved too! LOL

ps. I love your blog.. found it through Mustard Seed Creations!

28. This is so darned clever! The cost of those things is outrageous and then you gotta fill it with candy to boot. The Cookie Monster came out adorable.

I am lovin’ your blog! Come by and visit sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal.