Worm Sifter turned Spice Rack

I was so excited to read that
the Junkologie Junk Potluck Blog Party
is hosting an
“At-Home Virtual Junk Potluck Linky Party!”
  until tomorrow, Aug. 27th…

…because I found this cool vintage worm sifter
in my stepfather’s garage last week.
His father used to have a worm farm.
(I didn’t even know that such a thing existed.)

I immediately thought, “spice rack”

as soon as I laid eyes on this old,
rickety rackety, tetanus shot reminder.
I cleaned it (and that’s an understatement), sealed it,
and sewed twelve ruffled pouches
from old denim jeans (some more junk) and white canvas,
and came up with this.
Isn’t it cute?

I plan to use it as a spice rack
(unless someone wants to buy it
or maybe I can donate it for next year’s event),
but it would make a great
 serving piece for a candy bar.
Each pouch will hold 3 Hershey’s bars,
or lollipops, hard candies, M&Ms, etc.

It would also be a very vintage chic way
to hold assorted tea bags for a brunch…or tea party.

Each pouch measures 3.5″ x 4.5″.

3″ x 4″ resealable bags hold the spices.
($1.99 at Michael’s)

I used chalkboard paint for the labels.

Metal wire stuck through the pouch
and twisted around the sifter,
holds each pouch in place.

And, this matte finish sealer was perfect
for retaining the weathered patina.

I love the scalloped edging…

…and the rustic, metal bracket.

You could easily make your own sifter
with some timber and chicken wire.

What is the strangest piece of junk you’ve
turned into something chic?

Head on over to junkologie for some more
creative and unique junk potluck projects,
to link up your own potluck related junk,
and learn more about the original fabulous 2010 event
whose auction proceeds went to
Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

This post is also linking with
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Spotlight Yourself at It’s So Very Cheri
Plant a Punkin’ Seed Friday
Transformation Thursdays at the Shabby Chic Cottage

1. Lolo says:

You are the coolest chic! I woulda saw the worm sifter and thought…. “WTF? Worm Sifter?!”
    I love the cute lil ruffles with the rusty wire.

As for me – i turned an old vintage light cage into a hanging plant (i stuck mini ferns in thethe metal “holes” with moss).

2. Love this!! What a great spice rack!

you are brilliant! I would have never thought of this. I love it!

4. Pamela says:

You just have constant creativity running through your brain!! Looks great!
    But seriously a worm rack????

Have a great day Jami!
    Pamela xo

5. Cute and useful! I love denim, white, ruffles and vintage metal so no wonder your piece makes me smile.

6. alikaye says:

Hey Jami,

Looks great, I just love how you can make something so industrial have a soft touch!

Question for you though: Is that blackboard paint special for fabric, or did you just use the normal stuff?

7. Mary Ellen says:

Cute idea!! I have actually been wanting to start a worm farm! The worm castings are so great for the garden and they eat all the scraps you have.

bee blessed

8. this is so cute and clever! it would be a great jewely organizer, too. you are so clever!

9. this is so cute and clever! it would be a great jewely organizer, too. you are so clever!

Hi Jami~

I love what you did with the worm sifter! It is so cute now! The little jean/ruffled “pockets” are adorable. :) I never even knew what a worm sifter was before this, so I learned something new, too! :)

I also wanted to let you know that we’re having a giveaway starting tomorrow morning at Beautiful Nest, if you want to check it out! :)

Have a beautiful day!

11. Maxabella says:

A worm sifter – who’da thunk it? You make the best stuff. I just love coming over here to see what you’re up to next. x

12. Wow. I really like it. Different, but so fun!

13. { L } says:

This is absolutely awesome! How did you think of this?! I’m impressed at this smart and adorable idea. It is so charming. <3

Also…it took me AGES to respond BUT you asked where I got that tiered rack on my s’more buffet….Hobby Lobby! :) It was a good price too.

14. The Wool Acorn says:

How clever is that! I’d still be stuck on “worm sifter”… Great cause, too…. As a breast cancer survivor, I say thank you!!!

Wowsers, you are SO one clever chickie!!

And what a find!! It is stunning (once cleaned I am sure LOL) in it’s own right…but I can’t think of anyone who would look at a worm farm sifter and think Spice Rack, other than you…you are so innovative!!

16. julie says:

How do you think this stuff up? A spice rack out of a worm sifter?! That’s sheer genious!! THIS is why I love visiting your site so much. I never know what amazing piece of rework I’m going to find, but I definitely know it’s going to be good.

Have a great weekend!

17. Wowwww that is wonderful !
    I just love this idea to use for odds and ends
    in my studio ~

18. I think I’ve got a vintage sifter in the shed.
    I’m going to take a look at it and see if I can do anything good with it. I love yours though. I like the matte varnish you used to preserve it with. I’m a big fan of the matte stuff.

19. Holly says:

What a great find…and then what you did with it is fabulous. Those ruffled pouches are too cute – just the right touch. Super cute idea for wedding place cards too.

20. Becky says:

Denim and ruffles are my favorite combination!

21. Jen says:

I have heard of worm farms but honestly I thought it was all made up..lol
    And they even had their own tools!! Who knew!!!
    Love the transformation!!!

22. Jami, that is cool!

23. Genius!!!!

24. So cute and adorable.I love those ruffles!Fiona

25. Thanks for linking up! Such a great project!! Unexpected and creative!!

26. How stinking cute is that! I love it!

My grandpa had a worm farm. :)

27. I’ll have to admit the worm sifter thing got my attention! I’m really glad you said you cleaned it LOL!!!!!

It turned out so cute! Thanks for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!

Have a great weekend.

Punkin Seed Productions

28. This one makes me SHAKE. Metal… old wood… (let’s just leave out the worm thing though)… What a cool conversation piece!

SNS sidebar attention for this rustic cutie pie. :)

29. idesign says: