Thrifty finds and some curiosity

Had fun junkin’ this weekend
despite a disappointing antiques auction.
Sure. I’d be happy to explain.
The seven-year-old and I were about a 1/2 hour late
to the auction house.

In that half hour, they managed to auction off
both white, chippy mantels that originally loured me in.
Not only did they auction them off,
but one sold for $15 and the other for $30.

They were auctioning off a third as I arrived
but I passed it up because it wasn’t exactly what I wanted,
although white and chippy.

I figured I’d hang around for another 3 hours
with the seven-year-old
(who I bribed with Super Mario Bros. if he “maintained”)
and try my luck at one of four crystal chandies.
Four crystal chandies that at a minimum
auctioned off for $175.
those chandeliers were a bit more desirable than the mantels.

There’s always next time, I guess.

On a positive note,
I snagged this little beauty for 5 beans.
Well, it was a beauty from 15 feet away.
It’s actually in the worst condition that I’ve ever seen.
No wonder the front row gasped when I bid.
I plan on removing the door
(the only salvageable piece),
refinishing it,
and turning it into either
a hanging shelf,
a table centerpiece tray, or
a side table (adding legs, of course).
I’m leaning towards centerpiece.

On the hour long trip home, I passed 3 yard sales
and was itching to spend some of my birthday money.
I found a canning jar for a quarter
whose lid will soon receive a makeover.

I paid 50 cents for both of these canisters
that I will hold buttons or ribbon scraps in my room d’ crafte.

An old book for a quarter.
And, it just so happens to be a book about a donkey’s trip to China.
Double score.
And, here is where you (hopefully) come in…
I got 14 glasses for $1.00
I love them.
They have a silver, metallic coating on the outside
that is SO pretty.
Have any of you seen glasses like these before?
I’m guessing they’re more retro rather than vintage but I could be wrong.
What is the metal on the outside?
I’m just hoping it’s not lead based or something.
Are they dishwasher safe?
I fired up Google but couldn’t find a thing about them.
I bought them at a run down, 100-year-old Colonial
so I’m hoping that they’re a little special
(although I’d love them just as much if they were a blue light special in 2008).

If any of you know a thing or two about them,
I’d love to know.
I also bought an Ethan Allen desk for $5.00
from a yard sale down the street
but couldn’t fit it in my VW.
I received free delivery service
and it will be here tomorrow morning.

I say that’s $12.00 of birthday cash
well spent, don’t you?

Now, I’m off to etsy to spend the rest
on vintage fabric.

1. Lolo says:

Hahaha…i love that word – “Frig”- LOL!
    Sounds like you did pretty darn good with your birthday moola :) I scored a vintage bed today with french lines. id say it was a good day for us both :D

2. ShadowCase says:

Wow! You can really stretch $12. I’m excited to see what you do with the cabinet door and the other projects you’ve got lined up. Your blog is so fun to read, and I love your personality!

3. Great scores! Hold out for next year’s b-day, you know it’ll come around sooner than later!

4. Lisa says:

Wow. You did very well on your excursion. The $5.00 cupboard (? can’t tell what size it is) doesn’t look so bad in the picture. It just looks like the top is warped or something. Maybe a new top, or even a piece of marble? It’s really cute.
    Can the silver glasses be used as votives or are they too opaque?

5. Jen says:

Hi Jami!
    Just thought I would let you know I gave you an award! Stop by my blog to check it out!

Happy Belated Birthday to you!

7. Happy Birthday, you have some wonderful finds!!

Those little cups are SO cool. Happiest Birthday! 29 again like me? I hope you found some awesome fabric.

9. Karen says:

Happy Birthday—hopefully there is a fireplace mantle in your future for only $15!

10. Gretchen says:

I have some glasses that have that similiar finish to them, and was labeled as platinum. Not sure if that is so with yours, but a possibility. They’re a deal regardless of what they might be. Enjoy your new treasures.

11. Pamela says:

Happy Birthday from one August baby to another ! Ya!

I like the old book! Old books get me everytime!
    Pamela xo

12. julie says:

You will do something amazing with that $5 cabinet, guaranteed. I can’t wait to see! I’m not sure on those cups, but I can say that I love them! You sure know how to find some fun stuff. And vintage fabric, you’re killing me over here! I’m such a sucker for beautiful fabrics.

13. Great finds. I love the cups.

14. Oh wow, I’m completely jealous! Those little cups are amazing! I’d say that you have done a great job with that twelve bucks, and I envy the fact that you have so many places to “hunt” surrounding you. I wish I could be so lucky. I hope your birthday was grand!

15. Marie says:

Well you sure got a whole lot of interesting things for $12…the little glasses are a steal I thought! They looked unique.

16. Nancy says:

I thought votives when I saw the cups! Look forward to seeing what you do with them and the cabinet!