Old knit stockings upcycled 5 ways…

I bought a pair of knit tights from the GAP
last winter that didn’t quite fit.
It seems from time to time I forget that I had twins
not so long ago and so I reach for the “old” size.
We do that

“Oh, I’ll just return them,” I thought.
So, I set them in the basket by the front door.
Well, I never returned them.
I happened upon them at the bottom of the basket last week,
and an idea quickly came to mind…then 4 more.
“I’ll cut these cool, charcoal gray stockings up…
…into pieces like this…
…and make these.”
Candle covers
 Candle covers (slouched)

Champagne/Wine bottle cover

Formula container cover
(Plenty of those around here but you could use a coffee can, oatmeal container, etc.)

lavender sachet
(If you make a longer one and add flax seed to the lavender,
you have yourself a soothing eye pillow.)
Hand warmers.
So cute for Fall/Winter especially if you embellish them with lace or little rosettes.

I made all five of those things from ONE leg.

You could also:
give an ugly lamp base a casual knit look,
cover a glass hurricane,
gift wrap a book,
make legwarmers,
(Yeah, I barely left the 80s behind.)
cut a narrow band for a head band,
(Ooh! Good idea, brain. I’m doing that one in a second.)
make a beer koozie,
(The fellas love a darling, knit koozie.)
or make a Christmas stocking.
The upcycling possibilities are endless.
Quick tutorials on what I’ve pictured:
Candle covers
1. Just cut a piece of stocking to the length you need and slip it on.
2. For the votive, just cut a strop and tie it around.
Disclaimer: The covers would be best on a glass-surrounded candle to prevent a fire. The pillar candles above are for decorative purposes only. I do not plan on burning them.

Wine bottle cover
1. Cut a piece of stocking to the length you need and slip it on.
2. Use hot glue to add embellishments while the cover is still on the bottle.

Don’t worry, the cover will come off.
Formula can cover
1. Cut a piece of stocking to the length you need and slip it on.
2. Use hot glue to add labels and embellishments.

Lavender Sachet
1. Cut a piece of stocking to the length you want.
2. Sew or stitch one end closed.
3. Add lavender.
4. Stitch or sew the other end closed.
5. Add embellishments.
Hand warmers
1. Cut a piece of stocking to the length you want.
2. Lay it flat.
3. Lay your hand on top and mark where thumb hole should be.
4. Cut a slit for the thumb hole.
5. Add embellishments
Have fun with this one.

This post is linking with
Show and Tell Green
Upcycled Awesome at The T-Shirt Diaries
Click here or visit the “link parties” button in the sidebar for more.

P.S. Thank you for your sweet comments,
especially regarding last night’s post.
I will respond to each and every one of you
throughout the day.
I appreciate you more than you know.
Happy Birthday Patricia P.!
(I don’t have an email for you.)

You could rename this 50 ways to play with stockings. So fun.

2. Such cute ideas! I love both the colour and the chunky texture. Bet you’re glad you forgot to return them.

3. Lolo says:

Wow. You are just too cool girl! Im a huge tights fan – gonna have to try this out on some of my older tights that seem to have “shrunk” LOL

4. Hannah says:

You are so creative! Great ideas!

5. great way to reuse! love the candle covers! they look so cozy!

6. great way to reuse! love the candle covers! they look so cozy!

7. Thank you for causing me to spit on the computer screen. Really it was my own fault for eating lunch and looking at this post. “The fellas love a darling, knit koozie.” Yep, that did it, I laughed a little too hard. Great ideas though!

8. Oh my goodness, I just came across your blog!
    Love it!
    You are so creative~

9. What a fabulous idea! Love it! I could easily make these as Christmas gifts. When I post on them I will be sure to link the idea back to your blog.

beautifulnest at blogspot dot com

10. Becky says:

You are so funny, great ideas for sure! I don’t have any tights but I have a ton of socks with out a partner I bet I could use a few of those for some of these projects.

Wow Jami, I have to say you have become my upcycle guru…could you just slow down a little though; I need time to catch up with you ;-)

12. Pamela says:

Your not only funny Jami but very inventive!! Love all your creations! But oh no not the 80′s leg warmers (yes i confess i wore them…what was i thinking oh i remember i thought i was Stevie Nicks!)
    Hope your eye is better!
    Pamela xo

13. Okay. That’s just darn creative! I’m thinking about what I have in my closet that I can cut up! Love that grey! And using it on the formula container is so clever!!

This is such a clever idea! I love what you’ve done…especially the formula container with your label. You are so creative!

15. Seriously girl? You are an unstoppable force…I think you are trying to take over blogland single handedly – and doing a pretty good job, I might add. ;-)

I hope your eye heals quickly…ouch!! I’m sorry to hear there is permanent damage though. :-(

16. I have entered the mind of a genius! How do you come up with these things? I applaud you!

17. Tammigirl says:

I adore this post. My kids and I often like to think of all the different uses for an item.

18. julie says:

Jami, you never cease to amaze me with your creativity. I’m so glad to hear your eye is doing better!

19. Kristi says:

Awesome! Way more useful these ways than just the one way! Love the hand warmers!

20. Nancy says:

21. Wow – so clever and cute. I love how you upcycled the tights into so many projects!

Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

22. Very cute and so versatile!! Great ideas I’ll have to try (: