Cuter with Pewter

Hello, everyone.
I hope the week has been kind to your so far.
I’m busy getting organized around here
so that I’m a bit more efficient with blogging and family life.
Do you ever just feel like you have 50 light bulbs going off all at once?
When I get that way, I freak out and need to write everything down.
I’ll be sharing that “list” (and my idea sketches, etc.) on Wednesday
to give you a better sense of what will be going on in my little blog.
I did find a bit of time today
to refinish a few more pieces for my
front living room makeover.
I called this post, “cuter with pewter”
because that’s what I did with them…
…just rubbed on a little of this stuff.
 ($9.99 at Michaels and I also had a 50% off coupon)
I was practicing, if you will, on an old birdcage purchased
from Target a few years ago, an old frame, and a mason jar lid
because I want to refinish my fireplace mantel with pewter.
I spray primed them white.
I used Valspar primer for the frame and Rustoleum metal primer for the lid and cage.
So shabby this way…I almost left them as is.
But, I didn’t.

I just poured the pewter paint in a dish
and rubbed it on each piece with a
scrap piece of white felt.
The paint goes on pretty transparent
which gave the cage a lovely, weathered, glazed look.
They make a special primer in this paint line that might reduce the transparency.
I don’t know. I do know that I wasn’t going to cough up $9.99 to figure it out.
 Using the cloth dipped in paint,
I lightly rubbed over the high points of the frame
to highlight the carved details.
I just love it!
This frame has a twin that I may keep pure white.

The lid is nothing special.
The pewter just hid the fruit design that I wanted g.o.n.e.
I am happy with the way these turned out,
but given the transparency of the paint,
I will not be tackling my fireplace mantel.
Anyhow, that’s enough of the metallic projects for a while
or else I’m going to have to rename this joint “freckled metal.”
On a completely separate note,
I make handmade paper.
Comment below if you’d be interested in a tutorial!

This post is linking with
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
Sister Sister Sunday
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
DIY Project Parade
Today’s Creative Blog
Anything Related Tuesday at All Things Related
Transformation Thursdays at the Shabby Chic Cottage

Oh wow Jami!! They look fabulous – the white was very pretty too, but the pewter is just devine. You go girl!! And yes please to making paper!!

Thanks also for your typically kind and encouraging words regarding my completed water painting :-)

2. Jessica says:

Love this little tip. And I was just at Michael’s today, darn should have got some. I will definitely try it out soon.

3. Hannah says:

I always enjoy the little projects that you tackle. Seeing you do them makes it so much easier to make myeself do them. I know it is possible! I agree with Cath, the pewter is just devine!

4. Stephanie says:

Those look so pretty. I like the simplicity of them and yet they are so elegant. I was reading down through my google reader, saw your last sentence on how you make your own paper, and the next post in my google reader by handmadespark was about recycled paper! Thought you might like it.

5. Maggie says:

Um, yes we want a tutorial! I love the bird cage.

6. ha your title cracks me up! great work as always! love your blog and your style : )

7. *Gulp* Once again you’ve floored me. The bird cage is something I’ll be dreaming about tonight.

8. they look fabulous, Jami! I scored some metal baskets at the dump shop yesterday, they are painted cream but I am going to paint them ‘metallic’ using Rustoleum Universal Hammered Silver…I can’t wait but I have to as I need a fine day to do it!

xx Karen

9. Beautiful..thanks for sharing!

10. allison says:

these are beautiful! makes me want to run out and get a bottle! I have a brown metal star that’s dying for some sprucing!
    Hand made paper? Yes, please!

11. Hi Jami, love this technique. I’ve used this brand before and really do love it. The bronzer is gorgeous too! Great makeover on your items and even the jar lid looks wonderful!

12. This is the perfect thing for my Goodwill chandelier. I tried to do a silvery paint treatment on it, and now it’s too shiny. Pewter is better!

13. Lisa says:

Wow. You completely transformed that cage. It really brings out the detail. Were the directions to rub it on with a cloth, or was that your idea? It really went on perfectly and there were a lot of difficult surfaces to reach.

14. Hello Jamie!
    I just gave you “The Domestically Gifted Blog Award”! I mean of course I’m going to give YOU one. You are so talented!

15. Decorchick! says:

LOL freckled metal…that was good! That cage is AMAZING!!!!

16. julie says:

Those are perfect! I especially love the cage! When you mentioned you make homemade paper you took me back. It’s been years, but I used to dabble in a little homemade paper making myself. I hope you’re going to show us some of your creations!

Thank you so much for adding my button. You are one of the sweetest bloggers out there!

17. Turned out beautifully, but I agree – $9.99 is a bit expensive for that little bottle!

18. Love the changes!! They look fabulous. (Oh, and I emailed you about the bloglines thing… drop me a line back when you get a chance.)

19. All looks great Jami! I like the the way it all looks together as well. Freckled Laundry, Freckled Metal, heck, Freckled Paper, it all works for me, I am just an avid follower:)

20. Jami I just LOVE it all:))) Especially the metal finish~ so many great ideas:))

Blessings, Carol

21. Bonnie says:

you are tempting me AGAIN! :)

22. Pamela says:

Freckled metal!! That is funny!
    Everything looks great in pewter. It’s a nice change from black or white.

I don’t know where you get all your energy…could you spare some?!

Thanks for the lovely birthday wishes Jami!!

Pamela xo

23. love the bird cage. handmade paper, um yeah! that sounds cool!

24. Nutbird says:

You are the best! What you need is a big wall calendar. Not a calendar that you hang on the wall, but something about 4 ft by 6 ft. They sell those big ones in Staples, but maybe you can make your own. When I get really stressed, I write every thing on shirt cardboards. (Does anyone know what those are anymore?) They are stiff and heavy. I make categories like Call,
    Buy, Fix, Do. Not bad for a diagnosed, but unmedicated ADD person. Sometimes I never get around to a task, but it really helps. Ann

25. Karen says:

I would love to find out how to make paper!

I loved this pewter tutorial…do you think it would work on a galvanized tub to hold beverages?

26. I love the pewter! And thanks for the tutorial. I am going to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

27. Hey Jami, e-mail address coming up!, for you my dear:) We funny people must stick together!

28. Cassi says:

Off I go to pewterfy (not to be confused with putrefy, because that would be gross) all of my metal thingamajigs. Okay, maybe not *all* because that would be overkill, but possibly some. Maybe one. What I mean to say is that I like this idea. Sorry I’m a nut.

29. ~*I am so thrilled I found your blog! I love your creativity and your items are beautiful~*~Rachel (Im now a follower ;) )

30. What a great idea. I’m hoping they sell it England. I’ve got all sorts I could rub that on. Who fancies a com-pewter? Geddit? See what I did there?!!

31. kim c says:

oh freaking YUM. i love all things metallic, galvanized and rusty. i have an awful bird cage that this technique is perfect for. Oh girl, tfs.

32. Karen,

I didn’t have an email or blog for you…The bottle says it can be used on ANY paintable surface. So, if you primed your bucket first with a metal primer, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work even with the condensation. Hugs.

33. Holly says:

I have not tried the elegant finished…it seems to work amazingly well. the Pewter is gorgeous! I use rub and buff a lot but I liks this look.

34. KateB says:

totally awesome!! Was wondering where you bought the pewter stuff from…drop me a line :) if u get a chance.

35. dogsmom says:

I haven’t made paper in many years. Has it become any less time consuming?
    What fun things to practice on and I think you are ready to tackle a larger project.

36. ★All Thingz Related★ says:

I’m gonna have to get some of that!

37. Jami, love the blog title! And I love what you did with the pewter finish to the frame and cage (which I’m totally coveting!). You so well articulated that feeling of ’50 light bulbs going off all at once’. I can relate. It’s all at once exhilarating and intimidating! Jenn

38. Rebecca says:

I think silver/pewter is making a comeback-everyone is wanting to add color to their whites-thanks for sharing!

39. angie says:

I would love to see the tutorial on handmade paper! :)
    Angie @

40. i love your page and your birdcage make over excellent

41. Thanks for highlighting a new product! I’ve recently watched your zinc faux finish tutorial & can’t wait to find a farm table to DIY! I’m gonna go & find me some of this metallic paint a.s.a.p!

your newest follower

42. Just gorgeous! I actually have had a bottle of this stuff for several years and have NEVER used it! I can’t believe that is true, but it is. You have inspired me to get it out and try it. Thanks for sharing, everything looks lovely. Visiting from DIY.

43. Geneva says:

Thank you so much for this inspiring post. I love that you went the extra mile with the pewter paint…it made all the difference in the world. I’ll definitely be trying this “:o)

44. Lori Young says:

Love Love this!! I am going to have to go find that stuff. I love this!!~ Lori

45. Nicole says:

Why hello!
    First thing! I Love your blog and all the inspiration it provides!
    Second I need your opinion!
    I have some metal bunk beds That I would like to give the look of steel kind of like the Restoration Hardware bunk beds that are steel pipe!
    I was wondering if you could offer some insight on your faux zinc tutorial or this one and which one you would recommend to cover a metal bed frame the best and if you think it would be durable? I really like the old weathered look so I am ok with randomly repainting chipped rubbed off areas anyway if you wouldn’t mind pointing me in the right direction I would LOVE it

• Jami says:

Hi Nicole! Thank you so much. I LOVE the look your after for the metal bunk beds. I think the biggest thing is to make sure you have a good metal primer on their first, preferably in a gray color. (I’ve always been happy with Krylon’s spray-on metal primers. The same Sophisticated Finishes (pewter paint) also makes a primer to use specifically with their paints, but I can’t remember if it’s for going over metal or not.) Both the zinc & pewter finishes would be durable, but here’s a few things to keep it mind…

a. You get better coverage in less coats with the Elegant Finishes paint that I used for the zinc. It’s really opaque vs. the pewter (which I love) that requires you to build more coats. So, if you’re not keen on a few extra coats, I’d go with the zinc paint.

b. The Elegant Finishes (zinc) is a thicker paint and a bit more beginner-friendly. The Pewter paint is very thin and again, you have to build up coats…usually 3 or 4, but you can apply it with white felt like I did and sort of rub it all over, which I personally think is easier than brushing! It’s just a matter of what you’re comfortable with.

c.. However, I think the pewter from Sophisticated Finishes looks and feels more authentic and would definitely give you that RH look. Both are beautiful, but the zinc finish looks more like paint (if that makes sense) and feels like paint.

d. I’m pretty sure you’d be fine with the pewter finish without a topcoat or wax of some sort, but I’ve only done it on decorative pieces. That said, a quick coat of clear wax is always something that you could do further down the road if you notice that it’s wearing too quickly. I really think you’d be fine though!

e. That said, I know from experience that the zinc paint is VERY durable (and messes wipe right up). My nightstand doesn’t even have a chip and I painted it a few years ago. I am amazed because my little ones are rough with my furniture and just about everything in my house shows wear except that nightstand.

I’m sure I’m not helping because I like both paints for different reasons, but if it were me painting MY metal bed, I’d go with the Sophisticated Finishes Pewter paint. It’s a little more work, but I prefer the finish that it gives on metal surfaces . It’s just more authentic looking and very much like the steel pipe bunk from RH. I think you’d be happy either way though.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your project & let me know if you have any questions along the way! I wish I had another metal bed because I would love to try that steel pipe bed myself and put a tutorial up for you! xo Jami
      Jami recently artist visits my homeMy Profile

• Jami says:

One more thing…If the metal bunk beds that you have are already painted with a glossy finish, be sure to sand that just enough to rough up the surface and give it ‘tooth’ for the primer to stick to. (You don’t need to sand the finish OFF, you just need to rough it up a little bit until it’s kind of hazy/scratchy looking.) That will help tremendously with overall durability in the long run.
      Jami recently posted..change & FREE printable nautical photosMy Profile