Clothesline Organization Station

Despite having a dear friend and her beautiful children
visiting from Utah this week,
I was able to whip up a simple,
clothesline inspired, organization project.

Okay.
I didn’t exactly “whip” it up.
I’ve actually been using this system for two years but decided
to change the embellishments on the board and clothespins.
Is that cheating?

It’s hanging in my craft room
but would work well in a kitchen, too!

Supplies
scrap piece of wood
fabric (enough to cover your wood)
felt (to cover back)
piece of elastic
embellishments (I chose fabric rosettes)
20 gauge wire
1 screw in mini hook
hanging hooks
6 tiny nails
31 clothespins
DecoArt Ebony Black acrylic paint (for clothespin numbers)
white card stock for monthly bill labels
tiny silver brads (optional)

Tools
hammer
screwdriver
staple gun or hot glue gun

First, I covered my piece of wood
with a piece of scrap fabric,
folded it over to the backside,
and stapled it to the wood.

Then, I took my elastic,
pulled it tight,
and stapled the ends to the back.

Using two small pieces of elastic,
I created loops to hold a pen and piece of chalk,
and stapled them to the back at the top.

I covered the entire backside with felt
to prevent the staples from scratching my wall.
(Note: I added the pen loops after the fact
but you will want them covered, too.)

I purchased two small hanging hooks from Michael’s
and screwed them in.

I embellished the front with fabric rosettes
but you can use felt flowers,
vintage photographs mounted to cardboard, etc.
(I stapled the elastic beneath the white rosettes, too.)

(I added a little vellum quote that I already had layin’ around.)

In the center of the bottom,
I screwed in a little metal hook to hang a calendar.

Done.

To make the wire clothesline…

I painted (with DecoArt Ebony Black acrylic) 31 clothespins
purchased from the dollar store,
numbered 1 through 31.

I added little flower embellishments
to the front of a handful of clothespins.

To make them,
I just cut tiny fabric circles
and stuck a silver brad through the middles.

Then, I hot glued the flowers to the clothespins.

I threaded 20 guage wire through
the springs of the clothespins like this…
I strung 1 through 15 on top
and 16 through 31 on the bottom.

Finally,
I wrapped the ends of the wire

around tiny nails (the ones you hang pictures with)
to secure the clothesline to the wall.

Now for the organization…

I cut tiny rectangles with scalloped scissors,
wrote down the name of my monthly bills (i.e. “mortgage”),
and clipped them to their corresponding due dates.

Then, I clipped the actual bills, too.

To stay organized, clip the bill to clothespin as soon as you get it in the mail.

After you pay a bill, flip the label over so that you know that it’s been paid.

Unpaid.
Paid.

You can also clip:

birthday cards to their corresponding dates
so that they’re ready to mail out as the date approaches,

invitations,

appointment cards,

etc.

Use the elastic band for:

school schedules or lunch menus,

artwork,

notes,

business cards,

grocery lists,

etc.

For those of you looking for a simple way to get organized,
I hope this helps!

(I’ll be sharing a vintage trunk refinish next week.)
Now that my laptop is feeling better,
I’m off to read and respond to all of the sweet comments
and questions that were left over the past few days.
Thanks so much for leaving them!

Click here or visit the “link parties” button in the sidebar for more.

CraftGossip

Comments

super cute!!!! I need to find somewhere to put one… hmm… craft room? kitchen? either would work in our house too… hmmm…

2. Alison says:

What a DARLING idea! I can always use ideas for organization, and I LOVE this one! THANKS!

~Alison

3. Hi Jami, what a great idea, so cute too! Glad to see more rosettes, that is why I am here, to tell you that I just did a post crediting your Antique chair as I did up a little wooden chair that was finished off perfectly with a linen rosette that I copied from your blog…hope you don’t mind!

xx Karen

Oh wow!! I LOVE this!! This SO beats the lovely plastic folder where I shove all my bills. I want to make it this weekend…hmmm, am I that organized?

Very inspirational!

Cath

5. My Yellow House says:

This is one of the best ideas I’ve seen! I love how yours turned out with the burlap and rosettes. I would really use one of these…I love to be organized. You could put it all together at the first of the month and never have to think about any of it again for 30 days ~ thanks for sharing!

You always have such great ideas! :)
    Sarah

6. Shaunna says:

Jami, this is GREAT!! Such a pretty way to stay on top of things…definitely going up as soon as I get a chance! Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my bathroom…I’d be honored to be featured here on your lovely blog! Thanks again! -shaunna :)

7. julie says:

Your creativity blows me away! Another amazing project Jami. Where do you find the time to do all of these? I’m lucky if I get a shower each day!

8. Your inventiveness astounds me! Patent this and I’m sure you’ll become a gagillionaire! haha! Apparently that’s not even a word, but I’m sure you get the idea. Glad to see you back!

9. Great idea–and I love it that it goes with your blog header! Have a great week with your friends!

10. Jami – you are so incredibly creative, I’m speechless. Not only do you come up with great ideas, but you are so nice to share such easy to follow and precise instructions on how to do them. Thank you!! You rock, girl!

Oh, and thanks for leaving your sweet comment on my blog yesterday, and for checking in with your ‘sources’ for me! You are so kind and I really appreciate it!!

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

11. I am so impressed! This is a wonderful idea, and it looks so pretty too. I love it.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

12. Jen says:

This is such a cute idea!

13. Modern Mom, Kelsi says:

Wow.. that may just make bills somewhat enjoyable! Great project!!

14. LilPeach says:

Love, love, love this idea! I already have a system for my bills…but I love this idea for my project and social organization. I’m so over memo boards!

15. Great idea for organizing bills. Right now mine just end up all over on my desk. I would also use this to hang photos, invitations ect.
    Hugs, Sherry

16. julie says:

oh my jami! how cute and functional! and where have i been! i just watched your tutorial on the fabric rosettes! thanks! very very helpful! i think i might try one tonight! you are good girl!

17. Alison says:

I am in love with this idea! I featured you today:

Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!
    ~Alison~

18. { L } says:

OMGness, this is the cutest thing ever!!! I have never seen anything like it and it’s awesome. I LOVe it. :)

19. Wow. I must make one of these! I think it is adorable and super helpful too. I also love your blog design.
    Stopping by from Shabby Nest. Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

20. Leanne says:

Oh my gosh, that is so cute and functional. I’m hosting We’re Organized Wednesday until Saturday and would love for you to join the party. There’s a giveaway too. Hope to see you there.

21. Amanda says:

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here

If you would like a “featured by” button, you can grab one here!

22. Erika says:

Wow, I love this! Thanks for sharing.

23. Jess says:

Beautiful and practical. I love it. Thanks for all the instructions, too.

24. wig4usc says:

I’ve been using clothespins for awhile, I’ve been painting them and decorating them, and just thought about doing something like this at work! Instead of nails to wire to, magnet hooks, maybe. But I love how yours turned out, I love the rosettes and enjoyed reading through this very much! Thank you!

25. What a great idea! Cute and functional!

Thanks for linking up!

26. Such a great idea! I think I will be doing this soon :)

27. Maxabella says:

This is fabulous! Clever you!! Thank you so much for another generous tutorial. x

28. Kristi says:

This is sooo neat! I love the natural look to it.

29. Nike says:

I’m loving this. This is just what I need for my office – thanks!

30. Jay says:

beautiful beautiful beautiful!

31. Lorie says:

Such a cute and clever idea. I love it and am going to feature it on my blog tomorrow!

32. Leanne says:

Thanks for linking to We’re Organized Wednesday. This is such a great idea and so cute. Hope to see you again next week.

33. Cara says:

LOVE this! What a great idea, I’m such a sucker for anything organizational!! Stop on over for a visit sometime!

Cara

34. So practical and pretty too! I really like the idea for invitations and birthday cards.

Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

Kat

35. I absolutely love this! I also love the name of your blog – so cute! I’d like to invite you to come plant your creative seeds at my blog party on Fridays: “Plant a Punkin Seed at Punkin Seed Productions”.

Hope to see you there. I’m going to explore more of your blog – I totally need to make this organizer!

Hugs,

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

36. I adore that project. It is so pretty. I love the clothespins and the colors. Great job!

xoxo
    Jen

37. DARLING idea and so practical.

38. I just love this project!! It’s so beautiful and elegant but very practical and useful too! I have been trying to become a follower but am having trouble. I go to blog home but nothing is coming up to click on to follow.

39. Struggler says:

This is gorgeous – such an attractive tickler system!

40. B.R.I.L.L.I.A.N.T!!!

SO lovely AND stylish to boot!

Felicity x

41. Hi, I just found your blog through abeachcottage. Absolutely love this idea. And this just might be the way to go for a bill organization solution my husband is having…I’m gong to check out your instructions for rosettes. Love, love, love them. They meet all my requirements for cuteness. I’m your latest follower. Hope you can check out my new blog (under construction) if you get a chance.