Guest Post – Sheet Music Dresser Tutorial by Miss Mustard Seed

I am honored to have Marian from
guest posting today.
Her creativity and talent is inspiring.
(Not to mention, she seems to find the most amazing, old stuff
at the best bargains…just check out her old doors post.)
Speaking of old stuff, she re-purposes or refinishes her finds,
bringing life to them in the most beautiful ways.

Thank you, Marian!

One of the things I love most about blogging is meeting like-minded women from all over the globe. Jami is one of my most recent friends and I am so honored that she invited me to write a guest post.  I am Marian, better known as Miss Mustard Seed.  As a mother of two toddler boys, a youth pastor’s wife, and a business owner, I understand the need to be thrifty and creative when decorating your home.  I have a passion for all things DIY and I love writing about it daily on my blog.

Today, I thought I would share a tutorial on how I made my sheet music dresser, which was the winner for “White Week” in the So, You Think You Can Decorate competition.

I found this dresser at an auction for a ridiculously low price.  No one else saw the potential under the missing hardware, sticking drawers, and bubbled veneer.

It was a long time before I worked on this piece, mainly because I was wringing out all of my creative juices to figure out how I could save the beautiful, but damaged,  bird’s eye veneer.  Some of it just needed stain and poly, but several areas were chipped, bubbled and missing.  I finally faced the truth that it either needed some expensive restoration or it needed to be painted.  Paint is what I do, so paint it was.

But paint does not cover missing, chipping, and bubbled veneer.  Mod Podge is a fairly recent discovery for me…I know, late bloomer.  Vintage sheet music was the perfect solution to hide the imperfections.

I brushed the Mod Podge directly on the drawers and applied the sheet music, cutting around the key holes, knob holes and edges with an Exacto knife.  I then applied a liberal coat of Mod Podge over the sheet music.

The paper is always a little bubbly when it’s wet, but it dries flat, so don’t think you did something wrong if you’re “trying this at home”.  I then applied an antiquing stain (a little burnt umber universal tint mixed in water) over the sheet music and one more coat of Mod Podge.  I finished off the top with a coat of Wipe On Poly to make it water resistant.

The rest of the dresser was primed in a Sherwin Williams’ bonding primer and painted in one coat of latex semi-gloss ProClassic paint in Creamy.  I hit the edges of the dresser with a sander and applied the same antique glaze I used on the sheet music.

I love the original wheels on this piece and how the yellowed sheet music is framed by the white on the body of the dresser.

This is a thrifty, easy, and stylish solution for a beautiful vintage piece with a damaged finish that is beyond your ability to repair.  Please visit Miss Mustard Seed’s Creative Blog for more tutorials, decorating ideas, and inspiration!  Thanks again, Jami, for this opportunity!

Now, take a moment to visit her wonderful blog where you will find many more breathtaking transformations and tutorials that will leave you speechless. Be sure to thank her for this tutorial, too!

1. ShadowCase says:

She does a great job on this tutorial–I think I’ll be able to see more potential on old furniture from now on!

2. That is an amazing dresser. So much talent.

3. Pam says:

I love that piece – she did an amazing job with it!

4. Pamela says:

I love this!!! I am going to have to try it one day. Thanks for the instructions.

5. Everything in both of your blogs leaves me yearning for vintage. Very simple and beautiful!

6. My Yellow House says:

Oh, I love the dresser. I would have never thought to cover the whole piece in sheet music but it’s fantastic. Thanks for sharing her blog with us – I love it.

This is amazing! I love how it turned out! And a little confession: I am a Mod-Podge late bloomer, too! :) Thank you for showing us how to do this; this idea could be applied to so many other pieces of furniture, and now I’ll know what I’m doing! :) I am definitely going to check out Marian’s blog! :)

P.S. I love your blog design, with the linen! (The most wonderful fabric on earth!) I cannot believe you did it yourself! No, on second thought, yes I can. You are most definitely talented! :) Have a beautiful day!

8. Sassy Sites! says:

I featured your Laundry Room over at Sassy Sites! Come by and check it out! ;)

9. Oh I just loved Marian’s sheet music dresser when she posted it on SYTYCD. Great tutorial, and great guest to have on your blog. I saw your guest post over on MMS and had to stop over to visit.
    Love your blog!

10. ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS! I covered a bookcase with dictionary pages for my daughter. It’s on my blog if you want to see it. Anyway, she loves, loves, loves it. She’s a “wordy” person too like me.

11. This looks beautiful. I love all the great ideas shared here in blog land. Thank you for sharing this one.

12. Blogs says:

Jami – I found you by reading the post at MMS. Did you make the voile drapery panels? If not, do you know where they are sold? If I can’t find ‘em, I’ll just have to make ‘em!

They’re perfect!

LOVE your blog!

13. Thank you for your sweet comments, everyone! Blogs – I did NOT make the voile drapery panels. They are actually made by a company in the United Kingdom (John Lewis). Here is the link:

They’d be a sinch to make and probably much less expensive than international shipping. If you make them, I want to see pictures! Hope that helps.

14. That is freakin’ GORGEOUS!!!

15. Angela says:

I have a question. I’m new to anything crafty and I thought this would be easy to start with as I’ve tried this with a bowl. Is the burnt umber universal tint something I can buy at say Hobby Lobby? The tutorial said it was diluted in water. How much? I have a tendency to overkill with things like that :-/

Thank you for any help or wisdom you may have. Thank you for the tutorial! I’m excited to try this!!

• Divya says:

I also have a major concern with the burnt umber tint. My local Sherwin Williams was kind enough to give me some for free and I’ve diluted it in water but when I brush it onto the sheet music after mod-podging onto the drawers, I find it comes out very ‘streaky’ and not even the way it looks in the pictures above. I’ve tried with different types of brushes and even a damp rag and I’ve even tried different concentrations of tint but instead of having a nice warm tint like it does in the photos it just looks like I smeared brown stuff all over the sheet music. HELP!

• Jami says:

Hi Divya. I will forward your email along to Miss Mustard Seed to see if she can help you out. I haven’t tried this tutorial myself yet….She was just sweet enough to be a guest on my blog many moons ago. You covered all the bases that I would have…diluting more and using a different brush or rag, so we’ll see if she has a little tip to help. My only other suggestion would be to do a light coat of Modge Podge OVER the sheet music BEFORE you stain it with the tint. That way, the tint won’t soak right into the paper sheet music. That might be what she meant when she wrote, ” I then applied an antiquing stain (a little burnt umber universal tint mixed in water) over the sheet music and one more coat of Mod Podge.” xo

• Divya says:

Thanks Jami! I actually posted this same question on Marian’s blog and she e-mailed me promptly with the suggestion of using a glazing medium mixed with the tint for a more even consistency and finish. I’m going to try that and see if it makes a difference.