DIY [Restoration Hardware Inspired] Faux Zinc Nightstand

You may have read about my ambition to tackle a DIY version
of this Restoration Hardware dresser
 that costs a mere $1,895.

So,
with a little DIY spirit and some metallic paint,
here is my $9 version of a faux zinc nightstand…
Restoration Hardware
Mine.

Restoration Hardware

Mine.

Restoration Hardware

Mine.

Restoration Hardware

Mine.

Disclaimer:
My point and shoot camera
(that I just dropped on the deck and broke)
 didn’t quite capture the metallic sheen
in the wonderful paint that I used.
Here’s a photo with the flash to capture the sheen.
And here are some more photos…
The existing hardware is nearly identical to
the Restoration Hardware dresser.
(I love it when that happens.)
(nestled in my craft room and temporary guest bedroom)

If you type “zinc” in the search box on the
Restoration Hardware website,
you will see a bunch of zinc pieces varying in tone and patina.
I chose the lighter tone and patina for my faux zinc nightstand.

Hands down, this is one of my favorite DIY projects.
The nightstand is absolutely beautiful.
Oh, how I wish you were here to see it!

It was so easy and I think it’s a pretty good DIY version.
(Because let’s face it, you just can’t make wood into metal.)

What do you think?

Update:
Click here for the faux zinc video tutorial.

Love,
Jami

Comments

1. that is really cool, well done! I am just about to post about my first use of metallic paint, on some candlesticks that a client wanted changed from gold to silver…I am really pleased with how they turned out :)
    xx Karen

2. Wow! Really awesome. This piece of yours is going to be much admired and imitated. Great work!

its FABULOUS!!!! I like the lighter color better too. :) Amazing job!

4. That is simply fabulous!! I’ve been coveting that zinc dresser from Restoration Hardware since I first saw it in the catalog!! I hope you plan to share the process of how you created your nightstand because I’d really love to tackle one on my own (and save myself a boatload of cash.)

xoxo
    Wendy

5. Yes. I will post a picture AND video tutorial on Wednesday so stop back!

Jami

6. Miranda says:

It is gorgeous! I think it’s even prettier than the Restoration Hardware version. You did a great job. :) Can’t wait for the tutorial

7. Decorchick! says:

Oh my!!! A zinc dresser? Seriously?!! I think yours looks BETTER than RH! It’s beautiful and will be a HUGE hit I’m predicting. :)

8. Fantastic job!! I’ll be following you now, too! Love this transformation!

9. Ninny says:

Totally awesome idea. I showed it to my daughter and she wants to try it!

Liz (aka Ninny)

10. Jeannine says:

It looks amazing. Can’t wait to find out how it is done.

11. Holly says:

Well, I am kind of in love with this DIY! I cannot stomach Restoration Hardware prices and I prefer a good ole DIY job myself. So, I am so excited to hear how you did this! I have a bunch of Decoart supplies and would love to tackle this for sure! Mallie is pretty awesome, eh! I so love your blog!

12. Becky says:

oh, wonderful job again! You have such great taste. Can’t wait to read the tutorial to see if it is a beginner project.

13. Gorgeous! I love the finish and you did an amazing job! I can not wait to check out the tutorial. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

14. Olde Tyme Marketplace says:

Completely loving this whole project! Really great job. It looks expensive! Way to go!
    Beth

15. Pam says:

It’s a beautiful redo! Very impressive!

16. Jen says:

OMG! I love it! Amazing!

17. Wow! I LOVE it! RH is my very favorite place for inspiration. The zinc look is awesome! Off to check out the tutorial! I’ll be including your project in the highlights next Sun. Thanks for sharing in the DIY Project Parade! :)

Roeshel

18. Lisa says:

Jami, it came out great! I’m looking forward to the “how to.” Love how you did the nail heads.

19. I love this! You did a great job.

20. that is GORGEOUS! I can’t wait for the tutorial.

21. Kathy says:

That is fantastic! I was scrolling backwards to make sure I found the name of the paint – is it Elegant Finish Metallic and Americana paints and glazes?
    Fantastic results – quite like the Restoration Hardware version!
    Kathy

22. julie says:

Nice work! I can barely tell the difference between the two. You should definitely be proud of that project.

Thanks so much for stopping by and following. I’m definitely following you back and I’m looking forward to poking around a bit more in your site. You have a beautiful design!

That is beautiful! I love your piece better than the Restoration Hardware one. Wow! It turned out amazing. I look forward to your tutorial tomorrow. I may have to try this out.

24. Queenplinker says:

Absolutely stunning! I want to try this sooo bad, now!
    Thanks for the inspirations.
    Have a wonderful day, Lynea

25. The nails definitely make the piece! You did a great job on the faux painting. You’ve got mad skills, girl. :)

26. Pamela says:

I cannot believe you did this! Just fantastic! What a lovely piece.
    You are so funny i love reading your posts!!
    Your writing is so witty and humourous…love it!
    Pamela xo

27. Maxabella says:

Even better than the Restoration Hardware version. Well done! Following you now to see what else you get up to!!!

28. Wow! This is so stunning! Looking forward to reading the tutorial! :)

29. wow! I love it! your blog is great…. off to click that follower button :)

xoxo!
    Michelle

30. My Yellow House says:

I am in awe! Honestly, if you didn’t tell us, I wouldn’t know the difference. I love when we can create the exact same look and not have to pay the outrageous prices. You have honestly outdone yourself on this diy project and I can hardly wait to find a piece to try this on. Because I will be trying it! :)
    And I can hardly wait to use the laundry tote!!!

Thanks for all your great ideas ~ I am so happy to have found your blog.
    Sarah

31. Outstanding job!! It couldn’t have come out better. You have now inspired me to try this on a full size dresser and add crystal hardware for my guest bedroom. I’m in awe…

32. Wow, that really looks great. Lots of layers and sheen. Great finish.

33. Julie says:

This is so very cool. Thanks for sharing!

34. KasiaJ says:

It looks great! What kind of paint did you use?

35. Thank you kasia. The complete video tutorial and paints that I used can be found here: http://www.freckledlaundry.com/2010/07/faux-zinc-painting-tutorial.html

Hugs,
    Jami

36. I like yours much better. Found you via 504 Main. Have a great weekend :)

37. That looks fantastic! You really nailed that technique, great job!

38. Wow, you outdid yourself…and Restoration Hardware! The dresser turned out great, thanks for linking up to Sister Sister Sunday, see you again soon.

Amanda

39. Shaunna says:

Jami, this is gorgeous!! As you know, I’m a furniture transformation nut…and this is awesome! What creativity and vision it took…not to mention implementing the work. Thanks so very much for linking up to Style Feature Saturday this week and for adding the button…FABULOUS! -shaunna :)

40. That looks really awesome. Thanks for the tutorial. BTW, I love the look of your blog.

I’m having a new link party “Cheap Thrills Thursday” starting this Thursday the 29th. It’s for creative ideas that cost under $20. If you have a project you’d like to share, I’d love for you to stop by and join in!
    Kat

41. Gretchen says:

So glad I accidentally came upon your blog tonight. Love the restoration hardware project you created. Excellent work and such great results.

42. I LOVE your faux zinc metallic night stand. It came out so good. Mallie is awesome isn’t she. DecoArt has some amazing products and it is so fun getting to experiment with them.
    One of the rules is that we need a photo of the product that you used, if you do not have a photo and it is all used up and gone can you go to the DecoArt site and pull a picture of the products and post them, so people know what you used.

Thanks for linking up.

Cheri

43. That is so cool! I love the look. Great tutorial, too. Thanks!

44. Amber says:

Okay, I was LITERALLY just thinking about doing my nightstands like this and then I came across this post on Adventures of Renovating a Brooklyn Limestone! I love your sidetables! They look awesome!

45. c says:

Where did you get the original nightstand from?

46. Leslie says:

I actually prefer yours to the Restoration H version. Nice job!

47. Wow – that is AMAZING!! I love it with that finish. So pretty! Thanks for linking up to the DIY Club!

xoxo
    Jen

48. Check out the DIY Club post this morning–The Voting Is On…

49. Erin A says:

This is so gorgeous!! Really great job, I just love it!

Thanks for your comments on the Barn Wood Art, it was a fun piece that I was happy to see actually come together like I had envisioned.

I have been scrolling all around your blog, I just love it! Such beautiful things. Keep up the great work! :)

Erin

50. Jami, this project is so incredible! You did an absolutely amazing, professional-looking job. I’m looking around my house thinking to myself, “Hmmm, where can I put a faux zinc finished piece?” Congratulations on your spot in the DIY Top 12. You have a wonderful blog and incredible style, and I look forward to following you and getting inspired by your future projects. Best, Jenn

51. this is funny because i actually think yours looks more like zinc than theirs…hahah which is silly since theirs actually is zinc?? but i happen to have a zinc kitchen table, and feel like theirs doesn’t look right. hahah yours has a bit more of the dry brush feel to it, and my real zinc table does as well. it isn’t shiny like their images are. great work! you did an amazing job!

52. Emily Arrison says:

I love your tutorial! Thanks for sharing this lovely idea. I’m always up for making my house more Restoration Hardwareish. My house is all DIY. For example, this week I stenciled and painted curtains for my guest room to give them the look of imperial trellis. Check out my blog to see the tutorial.

- Emily

53. Amanda says:

Oh my GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! I was just in Restoration Hardware the other day and wondering how i could re create one of those nightstands!! You did an AMAZING job! I just got done re-doing a dresser in the Restoration Hardware rustic wood finish. If you’d like to see it: http://theecklife.blogspot.com/2011/05/restoration-hardware-inspired-dresser.html

and you are sooo right-pictures just dont do these pieces justice! I could not capture how amazing my dresser looks in person no matter how many photos I took! LOL

54. So nice! I just had to link this to my dressers project post too – you did a fabulous job!

55. Cheryl says:

Three words: LOVE LOVE LOVE

56. Tanya from Dans le Townhouse says:

This looks great! And what a tiny sliver of the price of the inspiration dresser.

57. mrsben says:

(Came by way of another blog, that the person applied your faux technique to a smaller project.)
    LOVE what you did and it looks as good as any Restoration Hardware piece.
    Re your hint of sealing it with a spary-on Polyutherane first, hope you don’t mind me adding; use a non-yellowing one if possible. It should state it on the can.
    Excellent tutorial as well and thanks for sharing the technique.
    -Brenda-

58. the salvage collection says:

you hard-working, video making, bloggarita are the inspiration for my faux-zinc chest redo. are your ears burning??? i’m babbling about you a bit over at my itty-bitty blog today:

and tomorrow, too!!

59. Completely loving this whole project! Really great job. It looks expensive!

60. Kaara says:

That’s great! Where did you find/buy the nightstand to begin with? It’s do hard to find a goodnight stand that’s also affordable

61. Michelle says:

Like your version better, I am going to give it a try thank you soooo much for the great tutorial !!!!! : )

62. Shelley says:

That looks AWESOME! I agree with everyone else, yours looks even better than the RH version! I went out and bought the supplies today(found them at Michael’s), but was wondering…I was only able to find the Shimmering Silver Metallic Acrylic Paint in a large tube(similar to the smaller tubes pictured) only this is 8oz and it says “Dazzling Metallics” on the front. Is this the same thing just different packaging? I look forward to hearing back from you, I can’t wait to get started! :)

63. Shelley says:

I forgot to mention in my above post that this “Dazzling Metallics Shimmering Silver” is also made by DecoArt. Thanks!

64. Laurie says: