Change of plans courtesy of H2O

I had big plans for today…
…may have had something to do with a
that may have had something to do with
something from my handmade wares shop.

a certain seven-year-old
who was playing outdoors yesterday
decided that it would be really cool
to place the end of a hose in a window well
and leave it running
all day
all night.

I was a bit surprised by a soaked slipper this morning.

It went a little something like this:

My slipper: “Slosh!”
Me: “What the he**!”
[Peeks beneath the basket of laundry in her arms.]
Me: “Holy crap! Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeear!”
Yes, I call my husband “Dear”.
So June Cleaver, huh?
I’m off to spend the entire day
shop vacuuming 2 inches of standing water
from my basement,
picking up cardboard boxes filled with wet goods
only to have the bottoms fall out,
…I better just keep the bar of soap in my mouth.
And in case you’re wondering,
I still love that seven-year-old very much.
Despite another one of his antics,
I have to giggle at the fact that he was
“Just trying to make a froggy swimming pool.”
I will hopefully be back tomorrow
to continue my big plans.
Thanks for hanging in there!

Oh, man. So sorry that had to happen. I’m glad we don’t have a basement…I could see my 9 year old doing something in similar fashion. If it’s not one thing it’s another. Hope you picked a tasty bar of soap.

2. ShadowCase says:

Sorry to hear this–I was doing the same thing last Saturday because of a problem with our water softener. What a waste of a day, dragging all the stuff out of my newly finished craft room, trying to hold back the tears. Luckily most of my ShadowCases were stored up off the floor! It’ll take me weeks to get back to normal. I feel for ya, friend!

3. Marie says:

Ahh, the joys of having little ones! I adore your blog by the way. And I just want to stop by and say “thanks” for commenting about my Tiffany Bleu cottage.

4. Becky says:

I hate it when things don’t go my way, being a parent has taught me patience for sure. At least you have a good sense of humor about it!

5. Hi Jami…

I’ve been so busy lately, I haven’t been able to visit my favorite blogs! So sorry about your little swimming pool incident. Hope all goes well with cleanup. Your blog is looking great (I still adore that header!!)

Oh, and about that little crush of yours…you’re definitely not alone in your 30-something world. ;-)

6. Oh dear. I carried out wet boxes from my basement last week, because “dear” forgot to put the drain pipe back on after mowing. And then forgot to tell me about the water in the basement until I went down the next afternoon. I totally understand.

7. Oh my goodness! Kids, aren’t they just wonderful. I remember quite a few times having to bite my tongue so I wouldn’t say something I would definitely regret later. Just think the basement will be spotless! Oh and this is a great time to let the kid-let learn to clean (only if mom can stand the help) Hope all is well tomorrow.

8. Lisa says:

Oh, dear, major bummer. Hope you get it cleaned up soon. I guess your son will have to live with stories of his “frog pond” for years :-). Maybe he’ll be an environmentalist. I agree with Serendipity, let him help clean it up. Children in Japan clean their own schools and are proud of it.
    PS. Loved the Wind in the Willows pic.

9. Pamela says:

Brenda from Cozy house sent me over and i”m so glad she did!
    Love your blog…your so funny!!
    I’m a new follower!
    Pamela from French Buttons…come over for a visit sometime! :)

10. What a yummy blog! We are new, too (my daughter and I). Come and visit, if you wish!

I love your sense of color an your lovely pictures. I also came from Cozy Little House. I am glad she sent me!

11. Well, boys will be boys. At least that’s what they tell me. I had girls. But my oldest daughter has a six year old son. And yes, that’s exactly what she tells me! Good luck!

12. What a story….it would have been a classic on the old Art Linkletter Show. And I thought I had it bad when I shredded my paycheck this week forcing me to go through all the “shreds” to prove the check could NOT be cashed. I will not complain anymore. You topped me 100%. I agree with Brenda in that boys will be boys….I had 2 and at 39 and 45 they are still up to rehire antics! The only difference now is their wives have to live through them instead of their mother! Hugs, Genie

13. Andrea says:

This happened to US today TOO!! I’m so glad someone is sharing in my misery…our’s was not caused by a hose, but by a window well cracking :( It poured in for over an hour and I am currently on my 3rd load of wet towels in the washer and my husband has been working on pulling the carpet up and trying to dry things out :( Sorry that this happened to you…I am miserable with you! Does that make it a little better?! Thanks for stopping by a dash of parsley last week!

14. Alison says:

Hi Jami I have just come over from Brenda’s Cozy Little House after she mentioned you in her post.
    Oh what a thing to happen, kids have amazing imaginations. I think I would be swallowing bars and bars of soap for what I might be saying.
    Look forward to reading more on your blog

15. Brenda’s Cozy Little House sent me on over and I’m glad I did. I hope all is cleaned up and no damage has been made. After reading the comments, sounds like this type of thing happens frequently. I only wish I had a basement, maybe then, I could hide from the searing Arizona heat. Basements are cool right?

I love the Mr. Toad pic too! Very cute!

16. Oh for goodness sakes…Those little ones sure know how to get things done right. Well you deserve a pat on the back for handling it so well. I don’t think I would have been so gracious. *Pat, pat* : ))

17. Christina says:

LOL..aren’t they angelic terrors:)Your newest follower here. Do follow back if you can. Happy Friday!!

18. How can one possibly be mad at that precious 7 year old trying to make a froggy swimming pool! Years from now you’ll still be tickled by that antic. Brenda sent me over to give you a big welcome!! I’m your newest follower. Stop by my cottage for a visit when you finish shop vacuuming the basement.

Susan and Bentley

19. Oh, no he didn’t! The little bugger. I have two toddler boys (19 mo apart) and I just know this sort of thing is around the corner for me. Hang in there, girl. We’ll be here when you get back.

20. Oh no!!! I am so sorry!

What a hard day!

21. Bummer. I hate cleaning up water in the basement! Cute story about the froggy pool, this is one you will look back on and repeat the story many times and actually LAUGH about!
    ps, don’t bite the soap ;)