Hallway Redo Sneak Peek – Chalkboard Door

You know those boring, plain, hollow core, wannabe doors?
I have them.
Several of them.
Throughout my house.
And they aren’t pretty.
So, I decided to give three doors in our hallway some
functional, cottage style
with a little creativity and chalkboard paint.
First, I primed each door
and after they were dry, used a ruler to measure a
4-inch border around the edges.
Using Valspar Chalkboard Paint (love it!)
 and a sponge roller for a smooth finish,
I painted four coats, careful not to paint
into my penciled border.
(Wait a 1/2 hour between coats.)
While the chalkboard paint dried,
I measured and cut some decorative, 1/2-inch trim
(purchased at Lowe’s for $10)
to outline the chalkboard,
and used clear adhesive to attach it to the door.
 It needed to dry for 2 hours
so I held the trim in place with painter’s tape.
Then, I sealed only the outside edges of the trim
to give it a clean, polished look.

I painted the trim and outside border Sherwins Williams’
“Zurich White” (50%) in a satin finish.

It was such an easy project
I’m now a chalkboardin’ fool.

I will use this particular door at the end of the hallway
 for reminders and such.
It is the first thing I see when I exit stage left
from my bedroom in the morning.

Not that it matters.
I can’t see 3 inches in front of me without my coffee first.

The other two doors will adorn inspirational quotes
or the unbelievable, random things that come from
the mouth of a certain 7-year-old.
And, here’s how I added that little, frenchy bee.
I found, enlarged, and printed an online drawing of a bee.
But, you could use anything you like.
I used a piece of chalk to trace the lines.
(I only did half in this photo to show you.)
After the entire bee was traced, I taped it face down
at the top of the door and used the chalk to rub
over the entire image, transferring it to the door.
I love the faded look of the transfer but you could
certainly go back and darken the lines with the chalk.
  (but you have to wait a little longer to see the rest.)
Thanks for stopping in!
I’d love to read what you think of my first, official blog project.
(And, excuse the photo quality. I’m saving up for a fancier camera.)

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

1. Pam says:

Hi Jami. I stopped by from Miss Mustard Seed’s site (you had posted a comment over there).

My blog is new also so I thought I’d stop by and see what your site was about. Looks great!!!

2. great post! i am also working on adding molding to my plain doors.

3. Diann says:

Fun post! thanks for the transferring the image with chalk tip! I can see some future projects using this! Have a great weekend!

4. You are a clever girl with a beautiful blog. I loved seeing my button on your side bar! :) I’m your 11th follower and I can’t wait to see more.

I’ve wanted to try the chalkboard paint thing for a while! Yours turned out fabulous.

6. WOW….what a fabulous project! I am a sucker for anything chalkboard related…so you had me at hello! Also LOVE the image transfer you showed us how to do…..so clever!

p.s…..your blog is adorable!

7. Thank you all so much for your sweet comments and for following me (if applicable)! I will respond to each of you individually on your blogs.

8. Hi Jami…Thanks for your comment on my blog! I just love your blog name (I’m freckled, myself), love your blog design, and this is a darling post!!

Thanks for putting my button on your sidebar…and you know what? I’d love to follow you…I follow through bloglines.

Have a great day…and best of luck with your new blog! I think you’ll be a hit!

9. One little question for you…who did your blog design? (it’s fabulous!!)

10. very fun!! love it!

11. Diane says:

Great idea. Love the bee.

You know you can do the same thing with acrylic paint as chalk board paint and it is cheaper plus you have a big variety of color choices. I have used it instead of chalk board paint and you can write on it fine. Darker colors of course :o)

12. Jill says:

What a great idea!!

13. I love it. I really like the bee.

14. Oh I love that! That was so clever how you did the bee. Beautiful. Don’t forget to link me pretty please.

15. How cute is that??! I like the tip for transfering chalk~I’ll be using that. Thanks!

I also like your blog design~very cute.

16. Donene says:

This is such a cute idea! It looks great!

17. Heather says:

That’s a really great idea! I may do that to my bedroom door. I hate that I have to keep it closed all the time, but I installed a kitty door in it so that the kitties could escape from the dog. It’s in main hallway off of the entrance to my house and it looks sooo….blah. This would definitely improve things! Thanks for showing it off.

18. decdiva1 says:

love it! i too am lovin’ this chalkboard paint! btw,i found you thru trash to treasure tuesday!

19. I love this! My sister has a chalkboard at her house and I am jealous of it. I want one and after seeing this I might have to try it!

Thanks for linking up to Sister Sister!

20. It’s adorable!!! I LOVE the bee…LOVE him! I’ve seen these chalkboard projects a lot (the ones w/the chalkboard paint you used) and I truly think this is one of the best I’ve seen. I really mean that, too!

I linked after you over at Frugal Friday. It’s nice to “meet” you : ) Hope to see more projects from you over there!

21. great – I’ve got a quart of chalkboard painting and now I’m just waiting for some inspiration! Thanks! First time here, coming from Frugal Friday.

22. CoopDeVilla says:

I love the bee. I love the chalkboard idea on doors. You made it look so easy. Thank you for the great inspiration.

23. What a tease! You KNOW I wanna see the whole thing here. :) Seriously, this is a wonderful solution to those flat boring doors. Awesome!

24. Sarah says:

I just bought all of the supplies to do this very thing! It looks great! I stopped by from Shabby Nest!

25. Thanks for posting to my party last week. I am doing a post tomorrow morning, continuing my list of favs from last week.

26. What a GREAaT idea!!! I love it!

Thanks so much for linking up! I hope to see you again today for another link party and I’m hosting a giveaway too!!